Extended camera battery life

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dirt track
Facebook: Blackburnjames44@yahoo.com

Extended camera battery life

Unread postby Dirt track » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:03 am

I have come up with a lightweight external power for trail cams. The above link is a bicycle light holder with 12vdc output and 5vdc output. They take 6 lithium 18650 batteries which are rechargeable hundreds of times and shelf life of ten years. My Bushnell cameras require a 6v external jack. So I purchased a usb to 1.7mm dc jack cable from amazon. Obviously if your cameras are 12volt you would need DC jack of 5.5x2.1mm male dc to male 4.0x1.7mm DC jack. I am running amazon basics at .25 a piece AA, in the future maybe switching to Rechargeable AA. These power banks are IP67 rated.
The 18650 batteries are expensive I recommend LG, Panasonic, Sanyo 4$-5$
If you have old laptop batteries, you can recycle good usable batteries from them, and this charger will rate them in MAH.

The Math: 3000MAh 18650 battery 4.2vx3000=12600mahx6=75600mah or 75.6AH 2.5 times longer than AA batteries
2500MAH AA battery 1.5vx2500=3750x8 batteries=30000mah or 30AH

Price:
12-18650 batteries-Image

Quality 18650 charger-Image

usb to dc jack 6v camera-Image

12v camera dc jack- Image
plus+Image

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Extended camera battery life

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:30 am

very cool but you got my head spinning with all those numbers lol. i cant see the pics either
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Dirt track

Unread postby Dirt track » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 am

I am lost on how to post a pic on this site and attach a link. If someone could help I will post some pics and links?
Dirt track

Unread postby Dirt track » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:52 am

KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:13 am

Dirt track wrote:I am lost on how to post a pic on this site and attach a link. If someone could help I will post some pics and links?

Upload your pic to a site like imgbb.com (free account) and then insert the link here within the [ img ] [ /img ] tags.

*Had to spread the img tags out in example above so that would appear.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:41 am

When it comes to lithium 18650 batteries there are a variety of counterfeit batteries out there. I generally stay away from batteries that have “fire” in their name and I buy from the retailers below:

https://liionwholesale.com/

https://www.illumn.com/

Here is some info on identifying fakes:

https://www.thecounterfeitreport.com/product/642/Lithium-Ion-18650-Batteries.html

If you aren’t using some of the modern lithium powered flashlights and headlamps you are misssing out. There have been some incredible advances in lights out there these days for hunters.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:50 am

KPnorthdakota wrote:
Dirt track wrote:I am lost on how to post a pic on this site and attach a link. If someone could help I will post some pics and links?

Upload your pic to a site like imgbb.com (free account) and then insert the link here within the [ img ] [ /img ] tags.

I upload the pictures to this website and it still doesn't work when I use the image tags above. If there is a step by step process I would appreciate it. I'm usually a whiz with a computer but just can figure it out on this forum in the last 6 months. Please help someone!
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:52 am

I usually just buy the energizer lithiums off eBay or Amazon. I got lucky last year and I'm not sure if Best Buy had a glitch but they were about .65 a piece when you ordered 24. Filled up then. Looking to buy another 150 or so this year. I don't mind using lithiums when I can get them cheap. They last about 3 years in my cameras unless they are used over a heavily grazed food plot.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:07 pm

Bigb wrote:
KPnorthdakota wrote:

I upload the pictures to this website and it still doesn't work when I use the image tags above. If there is a step by step process I would appreciate it. I'm usually a whiz with a computer but just can figure it out on this forum in the last 6 months. Please help someone!

Upload your pic to imgbb.com and then copy the image link. In the editor here click the picture icon on the top row of the editor and then post the image link between the image tags.
Dirt track

Unread postby Dirt track » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:18 pm

KPnorthdakota wrote:
Bigb wrote:
KPnorthdakota wrote:

Upload your pic to imgbb.com and then copy the image link. In the editor here click the picture icon on the top row of the editor and then post the image link between the image tags.

Image seems to not work for me IDK
Dirt track

Unread postby Dirt track » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:When it comes to lithium 18650 batteries there are a variety of counterfeit batteries out there. I generally stay away from batteries that have “fire” in their name and I buy from the retailers below:

https://liionwholesale.com/

https://www.illumn.com/

Here is some info on identifying fakes:

https://www.thecounterfeitreport.com/product/642/Lithium-Ion-18650-Batteries.html

If you aren’t using some of the modern lithium powered flashlights and headlamps you are misssing out. There have been some incredible advances in lights out there these days for hunters.

Bob

I agree bob, so much more powerful and rechargeable!
Dirt track

Unread postby Dirt track » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Bigb wrote:I usually just buy the energizer lithiums off eBay or Amazon. I got lucky last year and I'm not sure if Best Buy had a glitch but they were about .65 a piece when you ordered 24. Filled up then. Looking to buy another 150 or so this year. I don't mind using lithiums when I can get them cheap. They last about 3 years in my cameras unless they are used over a heavily grazed food plot.

.65 cents is a very good deal, does not happen a lot. A avg price for lithium throw always are about a 1.50 on Amazon.

BigB this is why I am moving onto the 18650 battery and using external jack coupled with bicycle light power bank. There is upfront cost but done with expensive throwaways.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:56 pm

try this way its how i post mine viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45125
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:47 pm

Dirt track wrote:
KPnorthdakota wrote:
Bigb wrote:
KPnorthdakota wrote:

Image seems to not work for me IDK

Get the next link which is image url rather than image link

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”