Levels of Wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Levels of Wind

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:34 am

Need help understanding these different levels of wind speed and how each of them affect your strategy for a given day:

1. 0-3mph
2. 4-8mph
3. 10-12mph
4. 15mph and up

Thanks, guys!

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
freezeAR
500 Club

Re: Levels of Wind

Unread postby freezeAR » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:11 am

0-3 tough to get into bedding quietly without rain.
4-8 similar to above.
10-12 you get away with a lot more movement and noise.
15 and up you can get into areas even when leaves are crunching like corn flakes.

Above is of course general statements. More specific example would be high winds with bitter cold temps. I see this scenerio dictating some bedding in cedar and pine thermal cover.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 am

freezeAR wrote:0-3 tough to get into bedding quietly without rain.
4-8 similar to above.
10-12 you get away with a lot more movement and noise.
15 and up you can get into areas even when leaves are crunching like corn flakes.

Above is of course general statements. More specific example would be high winds with bitter cold temps. I see this scenerio dictating some bedding in cedar and pine thermal cover.

So, you’d say 10-12mph is an ideal day?
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:22 am

That is what I prefer if consistent direction but wind does not deter me unless dangerously high.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:58 am

Seen, shot, and missed more mature bucks and does on days where winds were 10-25 mph. Seems like the super dead quiet nights where temps are in the low 30s or windy days in the prerut and rut are killer.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:33 am

0-8 and you better be actively playing wind and thermals. 10-12, good day......15-20 Deer killing day. If gun season, I'm on my feet.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:28 am

In addition to playing thermals and wind with little to no wind, it takes a long time to advance to known bedding with such calm conditions.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:10 am

Scratchman wrote:0-8 and you better be actively playing wind and thermals. 10-12, good day......15-20 Deer killing day. If gun season, I'm on my feet.

On high wind days in hill country, would they abandon the hills and seek low, thick cover?
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:16 am

funderburk wrote:
Scratchman wrote:0-8 and you better be actively playing wind and thermals. 10-12, good day......15-20 Deer killing day. If gun season, I'm on my feet.

On high wind days in hill country, would they abandon the hills and seek low, thick cover?

Not necessarily, I IMO the wind doesn't bother them too much comfort wise. I see they tend to bed in open hardwoods with a solid back door. If windy for a few days I think they might migrate down, but for the most part they will be where they would be regardless. In my experience.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:43 am

funderburk wrote:

Looking back at the journal the majority of those days when you get the big winds and gusty days is late fall as the seasons are changing. During this time it is prerut and rut time. So again think about does.
Late season when the wind blows hard it is usually accompanied with cold temps and they are moving to switch beds or feed.
Also in hill country the bedding areas are concistant, they may change with the time of year, food sorces, pressure ect but they will still bed in the same spots.
You have to remember in hill country as soon as you drop over that slope on the downwind side the wind is over them. Throw in some evergreens and some thick and now your cooking.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:06 am

funderburk wrote:

I have seen bucks in hill country bed a little lower down the leeward side. I think this is due to the wind and thermals meeting at a lower level and there may be a shelter aspect as well.
I have also seen them bed down in the head of a hollow with the wind swirling and coming to them from almost every direction.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”