Trails out of bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

arrowflinger73

Trails out of bedding

Unread postby arrowflinger73 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:17 am

When a buck leaves his bed is it going to vary on what he's looking for or is it one way out unless he senses danger?

freezeAR
500 Club

Re: Trails out of bedding

Unread postby freezeAR » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:03 am

In my opinion buck beds vary too much depending on terrain to answer. Your scouting of each particular bed will answer your question. Some beds are set up to exit 360 degrees around bed. Some have 180 degrees possibility. All else being equal intended destination is best indicator.
arrowflinger73

Unread postby arrowflinger73 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:42 pm

The reason I asked is i found a bed in cattails with a real heavy trail and some lighter trails. Is the heavy one the one he uses to get to the bed then?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:00 pm

arrowflinger73 wrote:The reason I asked is i found a bed in cattails with a real heavy trail and some lighter trails. Is the heavy one the one he uses to get to the bed then?

They try to enter the bed from down wind... They exit on the heavy trails regardless of the wind. In thick cattails, wide heavy trails are more often the ones the bucks use. A lot of the time you can see broken reads about rack high.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:43 pm

That’s a good tip and observation about the reeds... thanks.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
arrowflinger73

Unread postby arrowflinger73 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:48 am

Thanks Dan!
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 am

In non Ag areas (i.e. where there are no beans, corn, etc.,) I seldom if ever find a heavy trail coming out of bedding areas as browse is more random in nature. Sometimes you can find a heavier trail to a destination spot like a water hole, oaks, etc., but even then the bedding varies and thus trails are faint.

Also, in the north, where the ground tends to stay more moist, these trails are more evident and sign remains far longer. Down south, especially in hot arid locations, the ground dries up pretty fast and in a lot of places becomes rock hard; trails and tracks are far harder to find consistently in these conditions. One exception is trails in hill country, for example: parallel trails on ridges and saddles, etc., these can be worn down pretty good even in rocky, dry ground.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:29 am

dan wrote:
arrowflinger73 wrote:The reason I asked is i found a bed in cattails with a real heavy trail and some lighter trails. Is the heavy one the one he uses to get to the bed then?

They try to enter the bed from down wind... They exit on the heavy trails regardless of the wind. In thick cattails, wide heavy trails are more often the ones the bucks use. A lot of the time you can see broken reads about rack high.
its not just cats i see broken veg on bucks trails in all sorts of terrain. i always make sure i walk out all the exit trails sometimes you will find a low branch that would block a buck with a big rack or tight trees a bucks not going too twist threw tight stuff if he doesn't have too. i always check those obstacles for where a deer jumps over or goes around. sometimes you will find hair stuck too brush if you dont have tracks too go buy. but a little careful studying and you can normally dial in on the primary buck exit.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:37 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
dan wrote:

its not just cats i see broken veg on bucks trails in all sorts of terrain. i always make sure i walk out all the exit trails sometimes you will find a low branch that would block a buck with a big rack or tight trees a bucks not going too twist threw tight stuff if he doesn't have too. i always check those obstacles for where a deer jumps over or goes around. sometimes you will find hair stuck too brush if you dont have tracks too go buy. but a little careful studying and you can normally dial in on the primary buck exit.

i found this on exit trails near fences in farm country too the main trail was mud tracks but the hair was on the bottom line of fencing. twenty yards away i found hair on the top of the fence in a spot it was couple inches lower. finding these spots can be good all the does will pass buy farther out but the buck will funnel closer too you making risk of getting busted buy first deer threw less.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”