New year new lease!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rockytophunter

New year new lease!

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:48 am

OK guys after a extremely busy year during hunting season I wasn't able to get in the woods any at all. My first child arrived in october, I opened up a small business along with overtime at my full time job. With that being said last night I capitalized on a lease I have been trying to get on for numerous years. 3200 total acres. This land is 100% mountain land. Elevations at bottom starting 800 and 1700-1800 on top. Lease doesn't start until march 15th but I'm going to ask about going to scout around since our season is over. With that being said I would love to have some tips.

I have read, read, and read the top 1/3 elevation but does that always apply? Would love to find a fresh buck bed right now and place a cell camera on the entrance/exit trail to see what's using the bed so I can get a leg up on 2019 fall season. I have also read a ton about the Leeward side. Does this always apply. In my head it's hard for me to see a buck beeping on one ridge on a north with then the next day walk all the way down the mtn and back up the other side to bed on a south wind. Just something that crossed my mind. I am very excited to have a large tract of land to hunt. Now I have to learn the beast style. Im not sure why but u seem to get mixed up easily on set ups with the winds. Would be wonderful if anyone could post a mountain set up with winds and entry with a little explanation why. I know that the mature buck will j hook to get downwind of his bed before entry and I guess that's what really throwing me off. Any advice is greatly greatly appreciated!

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: New year new lease!

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:48 am

I don't get a commission or anything, but I would say to get Dan's Hill Country DVD. More examples than could ever be described here.

Also, go to the pinned All Time Tactical thread and look for the Hill County section.

Then, post up some topos of some of the areas along the some questions in the Scouting forum.

That ought to give you a great jump on next season.

Oh, and go watch one of the videos on the Hunting Beast Channel on YouTube that has Jeff G doing a hill hunt from this year. You'll answer your own question about absolutes when it comes to top 1/3.

Good luck!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:52 am

greenhorndave wrote:I don't get a commission or anything, but I would say to get Dan's Hill Country DVD. More examples than could ever be described here.

Also, go to the pinned All Time Tactical thread and look for the Hill County section.

Then, post up some topos of some of the areas along the some questions in the Scouting forum.

That ought to give you a great jump on next season.

Oh, and go watch one of the videos on the Hunting Beast Channel on YouTube that has Jeff G doing a hill hunt from this year. You'll answer your own question about absolutes when it comes to top 1/3.

Good luck!

How in the world do you post pics without using a site like photobucket
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:04 am

Go to the Board Index and look for the Photo Gallery.

Click on it and you will have to create another account and then upload them through that app. This describes it.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10695

It's definitely kludgy, but not bad once you get the hang of it.

It's definitely an area of opportunity for forum improvements, but the above link should help you.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:46 am

There is nothing that will always apply. The upper 1/3 elevation is a good place to start but it depends on a lot of variables. For example my typical mountain properties that are usually upper 1/3 buck bedding were mostly not this year because there were no acorns and all food is in farm fields in the valley, so deer are bedding down lower closer to food. What you need to remember is that upper 1/3 does not necessarily mean the very top upper 1/3 of the tallest ridge-there can be an upper 1/3 on a lower hill or finger ridge that connects to the main ridge where deer can bed down much lower than the tallest top 1/3, but still be on an upper 1/3 of a smaller ridge or hill. Hope that makes sense lol...

More times than not I see bucks bed on some type of military crest in mountains, and I see as much windward as leeward bedding. But most mature buck bedding will be cover and wind to back looking into more open woods.

The upper 1/3 and leeward bedding you hear so much about is based on hill country, which true mountains are not, but the basic principle behind hill country bedding does apply to mountains. You just have to figure out how they are bedding on your mountain. Good luck. There are some good mountain threads on here if you search.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Congrats on the new family member, the new bus, and the new lease.

No always or absolutes in deer behavior and hunting. Good advice so far in the thread, and the buck could just walk over the top too and bed on the other side of the top on a wind switch, instead of down valley and up the other ridge. Some day I hope to learn enough to better answer your question
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Makes sense what you are saying. With the upper 1/3 and the "lower" upper 1/3. I just haven't had anything click for me yet. Hoping it will one day and I will be able to give advice instead of keep asking and aksing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”