How do you build you deer arrow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: How do you build you deer arrow?

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30 am

I strive for accuracy, quiet, and forgiving. I use a moderately heavy shaft with the 55 gr stainless steel insert. Three or four fletch with a 2° offset. I spin test and spine index to ensure every arrow shoots the same. If one doesn’t it doesn’t go in my quiver. I tweak with point weight and poundage until I get the most forgiving set up possible. I love building arrows and in my opinion it’s one of the most important pieces of the equation.

d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:51 am

I am not a crazy heavy arrow guy. I like properly spined arrows for your draw weight and length. They also tend to be easier to tune and more forgiving of form errors.

I square both ends of the arrow using a squaring tool (g5 makes one). I have found this often cleans up erratic flight problems before they begin. Most shops don't square the ends.

I don't spine index arrows but I do nock tune arrows. I number every arrow and shoot them individually with fixed blade heads. If I am getting small left/right misses I will rotate the nock 1/8th of a turn. This is often the last bit of tuning I will do before calling it good.

I am a longer draw guy so my finished arrows with 100gr heads, stock/standard inserts and nocks come in around 420-ish grains. Have not had issues blowing through deer with this setup.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:16 am

I have a 28” draw and shoot 60 pounds in a No-Cam so speed is out of the question. I shoot Black Eagle carnivores overspined for my draw length and weight. 42 grain brass inserts and 100 grain Muzzy’s with finished weight of 386 grains and 13% FOC if my memory serves me correct. Arrows fly like darts and never touched the rest between field points and broadheads. Killed a buck 42 yards last year with a full pass through. I wouldn’t care to have a heavier arrow but I think a heavier arrow in my setup is going to be counterproductive. Accuracy and penetration excel at the top of the bell curve of speed and arrow weight. The faster you can push a heavy arrow the more momentum you generate and the more resistance it takes to stop it. But you also can get too heavy for your equipment in my opinion.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:42 am

400 grain total Easton hexx 400 with 50 grain brass and 85 grain slick trick or Exodus. #51 lbs. I must shoot small deer since I never had a deer carry an arrow anywhere.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:02 pm

SEMObowhunter wrote:I have a 28” draw and shoot 60 pounds in a No-Cam so speed is out of the question. I shoot Black Eagle carnivores overspined for my draw length and weight. 42 grain brass inserts and 100 grain Muzzy’s with finished weight of 386 grains and 13% FOC if my memory serves me correct. Arrows fly like darts and never touched the rest between field points and broadheads. Killed a buck 42 yards last year with a full pass through. I wouldn’t care to have a heavier arrow but I think a heavier arrow in my setup is going to be counterproductive. Accuracy and penetration excel at the top of the bell curve of speed and arrow weight. The faster you can push a heavy arrow the more momentum you generate and the more resistance it takes to stop it. But you also can get too heavy for your equipment in my opinion.

your setup makes alot of sense because you are overspined you are gaining recovery off launch and impact. so basically your gaining energy back that would normally be lost if you were too keep a recommended spine. there is definitely more than one way too skin a cat. what is most important in arrow choice is finding that balance between speed and momentum for intended shooting distances.

my arrow is considerably heavier at 550 grains but im shooting a bowtech insanity cpxl thats a very fast bow. my draw length is 32 inches and set at 65 pounds getting me at 275 fps. front weight is 225 but if you take into account my arrow length my foc actually is not super extreme. when building a arrow finding that balance is most important. when you get there you are getting the best penetration possible along with decent trajectory and you also find a point where your bows harmonics flat line. this gets you super quiet forgiving shooting. i would say everybody building arrows too get on some free calculators and start punching numbers and really look at when they get too that magic balance point where everything comes together. foc buy itself does not complete the process but its a start.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:40 pm

I usually try to get a fairly heavy arrow setup. I will usually find an arrow with good tolerance and a little over spined for my poundage.. put a 50 - 75 grain insert up front with a 125-150 grain two blade on the front..I like to keep my draw weight around 60# but if the arrow shows a little week I’ll drop it down some. It’s easy to pull and quiets the bow down a little.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Ridgerunner7 wrote:I strive for accuracy, quiet, and forgiving. I use a moderately heavy shaft with the 55 gr stainless steel insert. Three or four fletch with a 2° offset. I spin test and spine index to ensure every arrow shoots the same. If one doesn’t it doesn’t go in my quiver. I tweak with point weight and poundage until I get the most forgiving set up possible. I love building arrows and in my opinion it’s one of the most important pieces of the equation.

It is definitely part of the equation that I have not put as much time into. Gold tips and mechanicals have been my go to. I'd like to stretch my comfort range out to at least 40 yards, and feel this is a step that should be taken. Sounds fun too.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. It gives me some good stuff to chew on.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
TripleOG

Unread postby TripleOG » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:10 pm

.250 spined black eagle rampage. Spine index, square both ends with squaring tool. 100 grain half outsert. 100 grain QAD exodus. Feathers on the rear with a normal nock. Lots of foc and a total arrow weight of 525 grains. Shooting it 280+ FPS. In my eyes that’s the exact numbers I want to be at. Over 500 grains and at least 280 FPS.
Edit: Ashby reports are a great read and if your a video guy take a look at “ranch fairy” on YouTube. Great info on heavy arrows.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:12 pm

Traditionally I was an axis 340 spine tipped with a muzzy 3 blade 100gr. Thought i would shoot that til the day I die. I dabbled in EFOC this season and I loved it. First build was a test run and I see where I can improve. THE QUALITY OF ARROW MATTERS. Anyways, topped out at around 620 gr with about 19% FOC. Out of my bow set up it’s in the 255-265 FPS. Went with a grizzly 125 gr glue on with a 100 gr adapter and 75 gr of brass inside the shaft. Wasn’t the easiest build but I was impressed with the performance when the metal hit the meat. Quality single bevel COC broadheads are the cat’s meow. Bloodtrails arent always amazing but stuff just dies quicker with them. Going to play with some 700+ gr UEFOC builds and some lighter ones in the 525-575 gr.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
gunner24

Unread postby gunner24 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Black eagle Rampage 300 .001” 75 grn brass HIT. Footer and 125grn single bevel broadhead. Total weight 512grn nice combination of weight and spoed. 70 lb halon 30”
Draw.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:50 pm

I'm really loving this thread. What do y'all reccomend for an online calculator?
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:11 pm

EllieTheChubb wrote:I'm really loving this thread. What do y'all reccomend for an online calculator?

https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Calcu ... lator.aspx im a big gold tip guy so i use theirs also should be very close with black eagle arrows
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
cmbrown337

Unread postby cmbrown337 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:45 pm

I am shooting a gold tip hunter with 100g brass insert and 125g head. For nocks I use nockturnal lighted nocks.

Arrow building is something that has been intriguing me lately. My next set up I think I am going to switch to the gold tip kinetics that are smaller diameter and stiffer spine.
cmbrown337

Unread postby cmbrown337 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:45 pm

I am shooting a gold tip hunter with 100g brass insert and 125g head. For nocks I use nockturnal lighted nocks.

Arrow building is something that has been intriguing me lately. My next set up I think I am going to switch to the gold tip kinetics that are smaller diameter and stiffer spine.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:18 am

I like heavy arrows with a fixed blade head. I won't shoot over 30ish yards, so speed doesn't really matter to me. I would rather punch through both sides of the animal.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”