Late Season snow and cold about to hit... Finally!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Late Season snow and cold about to hit... Finally!

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:41 am

I wish I could get out. It seems like some of you guys might be invading some of the Washington and Oz county public tracts. I wish you nothing but the best!
My knee is healing up good but it’s not to the point where I’d hike back into the marsh/woods and climb a tree. I got a partial knee replacement 6 weeks ago.

tundra

Unread postby tundra » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:46 pm

I just thawed out,,,,, man it was cold,,,, was on the ground, and thought I had this area figured out, but guess not..... I got to my spot at 3pm... from 415 to 450 I saw 13 deer no horns. 3 come out in one spot, 6 from another area, and here comes 4, running like crazy, but have no idea why,,,, I am in a fence line, but still 50 yards or so out, as they criss cross...... kind of hard to take the gloves off, for skinning, in this cold, on a small doe I thought,,, but never had a good shot......

Missing that buck last week, may have been it for the late season, but heh that's hunting, you can not miss, chances can be slim at times, hunting mixed private and public,,,,,

beautiful sunset, and no wind, but man it was COLD.......
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:11 pm

tundra wrote:I just thawed out,,,,, man it was cold,,,, was on the ground, and thought I had this area figured out, but guess not..... I got to my spot at 3pm... from 415 to 450 I saw 13 deer no horns. 3 come out in one spot, 6 from another area, and here comes 4, running like crazy, but have no idea why,,,, I am in a fence line, but still 50 yards or so out, as they criss cross...... kind of hard to take the gloves off, for skinning, in this cold, on a small doe I thought,,, but never had a good shot......

Missing that buck last week, may have been it for the late season, but heh that's hunting, you can not miss, chances can be slim at times, hunting mixed private and public,,,,,

beautiful sunset, and no wind, but man it was COLD.......

Yeah, the field dress, despite the warmth of the animal, will not be all that fun.

Least you got on some deer. I was inching in, but the daylight beat me to getting on fresher tracks. (starting my journey driving from Point this morning didn’t help matters...)

But you’re right... it was a gorgeous day and sunset. That and the Great Horned owls I had around me made it worth it.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:11 pm

I am done,,, the season is over,,,,, it was a walking these 69 year old bones in knee deep snow, but hey it was a good afternoon.... 4pm passed a button buck, and saw one other deer, way off, could not tell what it was....... by 5pm the winds off Lake Michigan were really coming on strong, and the temps were dropping

I said a prayer, and was thankful for my season,,,, shot 2 nice does,,,, one with my long bow,,,, passed 7 bucks,,,,, it was a great season

March is time to go pig hunting again,,,,,, will draw Iowa this year,, another spring trip,,,,, lots of scouting and ground blinds to set up,,,, lots to do,,,,

It was a grand time,,,,,,
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:30 pm

This late season hunting has been pretty phenomenal. Find the food source and find the bucks! I have seen the same 100" 8 point enter an evening food source like clockwork every night at the same time and place. This spot appears to be attracting all the local bucks and does. My buck tag has burned my pocket this year and it is taking some serious willpower to not shoot him. I will enjoy seeing what he will become next year, I guess this is what it takes to get to the next level.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:55 am

Thursday was the last day, and due to medical conditions, I can not hunt in the extreme cold anymore,,, however, at 7 below with no wind, and sun, the deer were out everywhere,,,,, heavy feeding by my house, I saw deer from 10am and on, driving around, and scoping the fields,,,,,

Its all about feed, and hunting the right spot, that is why I scout 90 percent and hunt 10 percent of my time..... Bucks still holding onto horns,,, time now, to get back in those crap holes, and look around and get things set up, for this fall,,,,,,,

One more tip,,, this is sportsman rummage sale time,,,,, going to one this am in Kewaskum,,,, the big one is on March 2 in Fond du Lac, I have a table there,,,, I have bought a lot of good stuff for bowhunting, at these sales, so check them out....

I also enjoyed all the information from the younger Beasts, this past season,,,, never too old to learn something new

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”