Which Elevation Line?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Which Elevation Line?

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:25 pm

As I'm beginning to make some post-season scouting plans for hill country in SC, I'd like to get y'alls opinion on which elevation line would most likely hold mature buck bedding - red or blue? Terrain is high open pines rolling into an open hardwoods bottom. Thankful for any advice!

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Which Elevation Line?

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Blue would be the most likely I would say. Don’t over look the elevations that are even lower than that or if say there is more pressure in the bottoms then the bucks may be high. That’s the biggest thing is to find the pressure then once you know that you can work around it and find the bucks. Generally speaking the blue dots would be probably close to where I would guess. Don’t take that to the bank though. You can’t go off the day 1/3 elevation just simply cause that is what is preached on here. So many more factors that influence where the bucks bed. The 1/3 is a general rule but seen lot of guys pull their hair out hunting the 1/3 based off maps alone. Get in there and find them if you can. Then once that is done the real homework starts, figure out when he is there. What time of the season that is.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”