Rampage Broadheads

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Rampage Broadheads

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:17 am

Well, my season ended with a bang. Shot a small buck at 40yds and he didn't go more than 70yds before piling up. Then shot a doe at 15 yds 30 minutes later. Found half of my arrow broken off about 50 yds away with only a few drops of blood, then nothing. Searched and searched but to no avail. By far the worst part of hunting.

It must have been a shoulder shot, which is the only thing I can imagine where I didn't get penetration and a pass through. This was my first time using mechanical broadheads, which were Dead Ringer Rampage heads. Neither shot on these deer were pass throughs. The 40 yd shot on the buck was absolutely perfectly placed behind the shoulder and low. Even if the shot on the doe was a shoulder shot, I was incredibly dissapointed with the amount of penetration. My Walmart Muzzy broadheads passed through both shoulders of a buck I harvested a couple years ago.

Anyone else use the Rampage broadheads and have any experience with them? I have another pack that was given to me and wondering if I should avoid using them. Based on what I saw yesterday, this is my plan for now.

AfootTrack56

Re: Rampage Broadheads

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:40 am

Congrats on the buck. It’s a bummer you lost the second deer. My advice to you is find a broadhead you have confidence in. After every shot, good or bad, I break down what happened. Where was the impact, how was the arrow flight, was the deer moving at impact, deflections, and so on. The better I get a handle on what happened, the better I can make my setup more lethal. Mechanical broadheads are great tools no doubt about it. But with everything, they have limitations. My two biggest bucks I arrowed were both lost due to minimal penetration with a very well know mechanical head. Both impacts hit bone and the blades stopped it from getting into the good stuff. Had the shot been perfect I have no doubt they would’ve taken a dirt nap. I changed my setup and haven’t looked back. One time is too many times to lose an animal, but twice? That’s my fault for repeating the same mistake. Should I lose another animal in the future, it definitely won’t be from lack of penetration, the blame will sit 100% on me. I’m shooting a very solid, no frills fixed blade now. Although, I do use those mechanical heads on rabbits. Super fun. You’ll find the perfect setup for you. All you can do now is learn from the experience and make the proper adjustments for the next opportunity.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:09 am

Under penetration is a common complaint about mechanical heads. But they group with field points out of poorly tuned equipment so people like them. They're a little more forgiving of bad form as well.

I stick to fixed blades. I've shot the muzzy you buy at Wally world and for the price there is no better head..... For the price...

I like Magnus heads but to each their own here... Ask 12 people and get 12 different opinions.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 am

I used Rage for the first time this year - the hypodermic ones. Was satisfied enough to buy more. The arrow didn't go sailing off but the broadhead went all the way thru - good amount of blood.

With my previous experiences and deer jumping the string, I limit myself to 25 yard shots max. Shoot 50# draw.

I used to shoot spitfires for hogs/pigs - they would go all the way thru, even with the blades being forced open like that. Shot 70# back then.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:28 am

I've been using them for a few years and had great results. I've had about as many completely pass through as not. When I say pass through, I mean sticking in the ground on the other side of the deer. All of mine have went through the deer, but some were just hanging out the other side either being broken off or pulled out when the deer started running.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:14 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:Under penetration is a common complaint about mechanical heads. But they group with field points out of poorly tuned equipment so people like them. They're a little more forgiving of bad form as well.

I stick to fixed blades. I've shot the muzzy you buy at Wally world and for the price there is no better head..... For the price...

I like Magnus heads but to each their own here... Ask 12 people and get 12 different opinions.

Those are the other heads that I was using... before I lost them all on a kayak in to hunt a couple of weeks ago. Along with the arrows and quiver of course...
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:16 am

milkweed-militia wrote:I've been using them for a few years and had great results. I've had about as many completely pass through as not. When I say pass through, I mean sticking in the ground on the other side of the deer. All of mine have went through the deer, but some were just hanging out the other side either being broken off or pulled out when the deer started running.

How many shots have you taken with them. With my 40yd shot, which I normally do not take (last day of season and a two year drought got the better of me), it was lodged in his opposite ribcage, but no exit hole. I was very dissapointed with the 15yd shot however. Even if I hit her squarely in the shoulder, which i can't imagine it did, I would have expected more penetration than I got.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:44 am

Never shot rampage but have been shooting rage hypodermic the last few years. No penetration issues and short track jobs but I had a bad deflection this season on a little branch about 2yds infront of the biggest 8pt. Ive ever had a shot at. When it hit the twig it twisted straight up in the air and went over his back. Clean miss which I am thankful for but I'm switching back to the old faithful muzzy next season.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:26 pm

rage hypodermic Plus P 125 grain. im not surprised on no pass threw at 40. im a big believer in my hypodermics but im also big believer in a heavy arrow. I shoot the big cut mechanical because when you hit a deer they go right down from the blood loss. but too compensate for all that drag going threw meat and bone a heavy arrow is needed i shoot in the 540 grain arrow. i get this weight buy having a 100 grain insert and a heavy arrow too begin with. another thing that really helps penetration is using a stiff spine the stiffer the spine the more energy and forward momentum you will carry when hitting a target. its archers paradox it happens at launch and at impact. youcan shoot any head you want with same results if you build your arrows around it.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Voz

Unread postby Voz » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:39 pm

How heavy is your arrow?
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 am

Ya, I was wondering about the weight of my arrow not being enough. I've thought about adding more weight, but didn't want to change this in the middle of the season. Sounds like I will have some things to consider as I will be looking to buy some new arrows and decide on fixed blade vs. mechanical. Thanks for the thoughts.

Just curiously, what inserts have you used to add weight?
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:53 am

HunterBob wrote:Ya, I was wondering about the weight of my arrow not being enough. I've thought about adding more weight, but didn't want to change this in the middle of the season. Sounds like I will have some things to consider as I will be looking to buy some new arrows and decide on fixed blade vs. mechanical. Thanks for the thoughts.

What is the poundage you’re pulling, DL, and current arrow setup?
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:13 am

HunterBob wrote:Ya, I was wondering about the weight of my arrow not being enough. I've thought about adding more weight, but didn't want to change this in the middle of the season. Sounds like I will have some things to consider as I will be looking to buy some new arrows and decide on fixed blade vs. mechanical. Thanks for the thoughts.

this is a good hunting arrow build gold tip hunter xt 300 spine 100 grain brass insert from gold tip i then run a 4 fletch helical and a glow wrap. shoots fixed and mechanical very well fixes alot of tuning hassle with fixed blade and momentum issues with the mechanical. just simply paper tune for a bullet hole and you should be good. a added bonus too a heavy arrow is it its quieter. deer react too bows going off creating bad shots could be part of reason you lost your doe. you said 15 mins later right maybe she herd you and was on edge already even at close range a deer can duck or spin out. think of how you react too a loud sound a bang will make you jump more than a thud. and no matter how fast a bow is its not faster than the speed of sound.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:17 am

ghoasthunter wrote:

this is a good hunting arrow build gold tip hunter xt 300 spine 100 grain brass insert from gold tip i then run a 4 fletch helical and a glow wrap. shoots fixed and mechanical very well fixes alot of tuning hassle with fixed blade and momentum issues with the mechanical. just simply paper tune for a bullet hole and you should be good. a added bonus too a heavy arrow is it its quieter. deer react too bows going off creating bad shots could be part of reason you lost your doe. you said 15 mins later right maybe she herd you and was on edge already even at close range a deer can duck or spin out. think of how you react too a loud sound a bang will make you jump more than a thud. and no matter how fast a bow is its not faster than the speed of sound.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I am currently shooting a Cabela's Carbon Hunter arrow (29.5 in length) with a 100grain tip. My poundage is set around 63-64 with a 29.5" draw length. Doing some quick math, it looks like my arrow altogether would weigh around 375 (not sure if the know is included in that). I could certainly go with an insert or a heavier arrow to get more penetration. I will certainly be considering this as I go into the offseason and have to buy some more equipment anyway.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:31 am

HunterBob wrote:
milkweed-militia wrote:I've been using them for a few years and had great results. I've had about as many completely pass through as not. When I say pass through, I mean sticking in the ground on the other side of the deer. All of mine have went through the deer, but some were just hanging out the other side either being broken off or pulled out when the deer started running.

How many shots have you taken with them. With my 40yd shot, which I normally do not take (last day of season and a two year drought got the better of me), it was lodged in his opposite ribcage, but no exit hole. I was very dissapointed with the 15yd shot however. Even if I hit her squarely in the shoulder, which i can't imagine it did, I would have expected more penetration than I got.

I'm not sure how many total, but I think two of mine weren't complete pass throughs. I was thinking that it was more, but it's only been two. I haven't hit one in the shoulder, but I have blown completely through a rib and still passed through. I've been pleased with them but you will no doubt lose penetration capability due to the way they deploy. My bow is a little over 70lb. draw and I use Velocity Pros part of the time and Kinetic XTs part of the time. I would suggest sharpening the blades right out of the package. It makes a difference.

All this being said, I have still been playing around with the idea of looking at something different.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”