Basic Thermal Questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Drenalin
500 Club

Basic Thermal Questions

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:14 am

My understanding of thermals is essentially that until the ground warms up and after it cools down, thermals are dropping. As the ground warms up they rise.

Are thermals rising a function of direct sunlight, or simply daylight? I'm wondering if overcast or foggy days affect the timing of thermals starting to rise for that day.

I've always accepted that thermals will drop in the evenings, but what's the timing of that? As a rule of thumb, could I assume that at sunset thermals will start to drop? Does it happen a little earlier, a little later?

PK_
500 Club

Re: Basic Thermal Questions

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:36 am

Your basic assumptions are correct. I haven’t actually timed it but yes very near sunrise/sunset is generally the switch. Yes overcast, fog, rain etc can delay, mitigate or switch the thermals.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:06 am

PK_ wrote:Your basic assumptions are correct. I haven’t actually timed it but yes very near sunrise/sunset is generally the switch. Yes overcast, fog, rain etc can delay, mitigate or switch the thermals.

it's not the sun set/rise its the setting/rising sun. when the sun is obscured by something, the mountain, tree line etc. The difference in temperature of the ground or water which retains heat longer than the air creates the thermal effect. This could happen very near sunset in flat open land or several hours before in mountainous terrain. It is all about the heat mass of the ground or water.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:03 am

Thermals can also rise at night, if it warms during the night........like if a low pressure systems kicks out a block of cold air in the fall,
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:24 am

One thing I have learned is thermals are alot more predictable than wind. By watching and noting how the thermals work at a particular stand site you can shift your kill tree and somewhat aim your thermals.

I have also noticed alot of deer traffic / trails seem to be set in thermal dump areas. This includes low end of fields, that is often discussed here. However I also noticed in small pot hole bedding the exit trails are also usually protected by a thermal dump. This make sense because it's a lower area. If you try to sit right over an exit trail the thermals are pulling right down the deer trail.

By shifting a bit off one side or the other on higher ground you can beat them. It may take a few sits to find the sweet spot.The kill tree needs to be on the correct side the deer are headed.

I also believe buck movement is triggered by the thermal switch.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:40 am

oldrank wrote:One thing I have learned is thermals are alot more predictable than wind. By watching and noting how the thermals work at a particular stand site you can shift your kill tree and somewhat aim your thermals.

I have also noticed alot of deer traffic / trails seem to be set in thermal dump areas. This includes low end of fields, that is often discussed here. However I also noticed in small pot hole bedding the exit trails are also usually protected by a thermal dump. This make sense because it's a lower area. If you try to sit right over an exit trail the thermals are pulling right down the deer trail.

By shifting a bit off one side or the other on higher ground you can beat them. It may take a few sits to find the sweet spot.The kill tree needs to be on the correct side the deer are headed.

I also believe buck movement is triggered by the thermal switch.

X2 on the buck movement trigger.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”