Entry and exit routes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Gstrunak

Entry and exit routes

Unread postby Gstrunak » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 am

Hey guys just wanted some opinions on entry exits routes in hill country. When you have the wind you need to go after a buck in a presumed bed are you guys walking the ridge tops in , walking bottoms in or walking the leeward sides in. I know dan preaches in season scouting just wanted some options on the best way to go into your spots to do scouting as well as avoid spooking to many deer

KPnorthdakota

Re: Entry and exit routes

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:04 am

I think the key is to know where they’re bedding, getting in the bed and seeing what they can see (out of season), and then using the wind and vegetation to get in without being seen, heard or scented.

Being scented is more than wind direction, it is also knowing and using the thermals to your advantage.

Since the bucks are primarily looking downhill you have an advantage of moving in from above them. You just have to make sure your scent isn’t going to get to the buck before the kill shot.

I have a very difficult situation as I have farmland surrounding the woods and hill country. So, not only do the bucks bed on the 1/3 leeward side, but they also bed on the edge of the woods looking into the fields. I’ve been busted a number of times...even when I’ve tried different access points in an attempt to be sneaky.
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:44 am

There no absolute in how to get in and out... basically I got in where they can’t smell or see me, whatever that takes me that’s what I do
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:38 pm

I like to use the terrain in hill county to my advantage.
You can usually find a ditch or point or ridge or even the inside edge of a bench for cover.
As has already been mentioned pay close attention to wind and thermals.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 pm

for morning hunts i enter the woods in a way so the deer im targeting dont smell my ground scent my wind scent or see me. for afternoon bed hunts i walk right down the deers exit trail from bed or just off too the side and setup just out of sight of the bucks sight line from bed. not any real magic formula simply get in position on his exit trail as close as you can without getting busted. walking out in dark im not too concerned as long as i dont bust the buck out of his bed it does not really matter. the only time im carful when i leave is if i plan on hunting the deer entering beds in the morning then i just stay away from there entry trails.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:26 pm

In my excperience with hill country dont have much luck accessing from below unless its early season with alot of foliage on but later in the year i thinks really tough. Also usually morning hunts when they go back to bed they usually j hook from downhill directly downwind into there bed . I have the best luck accessing high or quartering into the kill tree. But i agree getting into the beds post season seeing where u can access out of sight, sound, and smell as close as possible without tippin em off.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:17 pm

It’s all going to come down to where are they now. And where are they going. So if it’s evening and they are bedded I’m goimg in from top if they are feeding on top. If it’s a morning and they are feeding on top and I can access from below I would rather. My best scenario is when a road splits a huge bluff and I can go in frombthe bottom up through a ditch and they are feeding up top of a morning, that’s my ultimate access . No situation is the same but I usually have to access from top in most of my situations but I really like to go in from bottom when I can but it’s much harder in those bluffs
Gstrunak

Unread postby Gstrunak » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:35 am

Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”