Hunt where they are!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jon308

Hunt where they are!

Unread postby Jon308 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:12 am

Some thing that I thing is over looked or at least it took me awhile to come to the realization is that you can’t kill whats not there. If you want to kill a mature buck you have hunt where they are ,otherwise you may be just hunting a ghost. I realized my success has gone up in areas with more mature bucks are instead of grinding and hoping that eventually I’ll get one , and maybe you would but it’s a lot better odds if if there is more mature bucks in the area. You may have to go out of state , or find a piece of public or private that holds better bucks, but you have to do what you’ve got to do to reach your goals.

Scratchman

Re: Hunt where they are!

Unread postby Scratchman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:39 am

So simple...................yet so hard to really understand. For years the ol Scratchman would walk the trail climb the tree and sit.....and sit........and sit. Climb down at dark and say, maybe tomorrow. I was a trooper, in it for the long haul, and that was my biggest flaw. Now I find the area, the deer, in places that I never thought to go. I shoot way more deer.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
adudeuknow

Unread postby adudeuknow » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:15 am

Kills me when people attribute my success to luck. Sure, every once in a while but consistency speaks for itself. I might kill a giant one year and never hunt those woods again. I drive and drive, spotlight, scout, walk for miles, etc.

Find the buck you want to kill first and then figure out how to turn out his lights.

People pizz and moan but never want to put in the work.

I've heard every excuse in the book, every complaint about not having this and not having that. Blah, blah, blah.

Wish in one hand and s**t in the other and see what one fills first. Its truly not as hard as some make it out to be. It doesn't always work out but you never know what to expect when you're 20 feet up with the wind in your favor.
"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:06 pm

Had an old timer one time tell me while duck hunting “you can’t sh*t feathers”. The same applies for antlers. So to kill any wild game it helps to be where they are because you aren’t just going to pull those things out of you know where. Put in the work and find them. Makes sense to me.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:22 pm

alot of times this means NOT hunting where all the sign is alot of people forget that sure there are 100 rubs over there but the bucks are only there in the dark. perfect example i hunted a buck tonight all the deer are bedding in thick laurel on a ridge. there is poop on the ground like marbles and all the deer are traveling in same direction too green fields a half mile away. but hear is the problem all those deer are young bucks and does. Im setup on the edge of a frozen swamp 100 yards from a buck bed thats half a mile from all the other deer. there was almost zero sign where i was maybe 2 rubs from October and one pile of old frozen buck poop. guess what came out of the swamp at last shooting light the big 6 year old 8 point ive been hunting all season. that deer was struggling too get across the thin ice but thats where he felt safe. he closed in and stood broadside at twenty yards. too bad he dropped his antlers prob this morning or yesterday cuz all i could see were two 6 in circles on the top of his head. but that buck came out of a bed that only has big bucks use. in 10 years i have never seen any young deer in that spot. for ever bed you find there are only a handful that will actually produce and once you find them you can continue too use them as long as there are big bucks in the woods.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 am

ghoasthunter wrote:alot of times this means NOT hunting where all the sign is alot of people forget that sure there are 100 rubs over there but the bucks are only there in the dark. perfect example i hunted a buck tonight all the deer are bedding in thick laurel on a ridge. there is poop on the ground like marbles and all the deer are traveling in same direction too green fields a half mile away. but hear is the problem all those deer are young bucks and does. Im setup on the edge of a frozen swamp 100 yards from a buck bed thats half a mile from all the other deer. there was almost zero sign where i was maybe 2 rubs from October and one pile of old frozen buck poop. guess what came out of the swamp at last shooting light the big 6 year old 8 point ive been hunting all season. that deer was struggling too get across the thin ice but thats where he felt safe. he closed in and stood broadside at twenty yards. too bad he dropped his antlers prob this morning or yesterday cuz all i could see were two 6 in circles on the top of his head. but that buck came out of a bed that only has big bucks use. in 10 years i have never seen any young deer in that spot. for ever bed you find there are only a handful that will actually produce and once you find them you can continue too use them as long as there are big bucks in the woods.

Often the sign draws the hunters and gives the deer another reason to not be there during the day
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”