PA Sunday Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstrap19

Re: PA Sunday Hunting

Unread postby backstrap19 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 pm

Not to be a party pooper, but i live in pa, and i have a slightly different view. I am totally addicted to hunting. if the season is in, i am in the woods. i can't sit out a day, and i'm consumed with being in the woods. i also enjoy being a father and being married. no sunday hunting allows me a day with my family without the stress of thinking i should be in the woods. i know my argument is weak, and probably silly. however, just being honest.

Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:05 am

backstrap19 wrote:Not to be a party pooper, but i live in pa, and i have a slightly different view. I am totally addicted to hunting. if the season is in, i am in the woods. i can't sit out a day, and i'm consumed with being in the woods. i also enjoy being a father and being married. no sunday hunting allows me a day with my family without the stress of thinking i should be in the woods. i know my argument is weak, and probably silly. however, just being honest.

You're allowed to have a different View. In fact, I understand your view completely. Though I openly admit I'd prefer to have Sundays to hunt as well as Saturdays, and spend a couple week days after work with my wife. I understand how nice it is to have a full day instead of just a few hours a couple times a week. I'm sure if you had the opportunity to hunt Sundays, the guilty feeling you think you would have from not hunting wouldn't be there. One way to find out.. ;)
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:03 am

backstrap19 wrote:Not to be a party pooper, but i live in pa, and i have a slightly different view. I am totally addicted to hunting. if the season is in, i am in the woods. i can't sit out a day, and i'm consumed with being in the woods. i also enjoy being a father and being married. no sunday hunting allows me a day with my family without the stress of thinking i should be in the woods. i know my argument is weak, and probably silly. however, just being honest.

Being a father myself is why I'm for Sunday hunting. My son is involved in sports most Saturdays are tied up with that. I'm assuming your kids are young but if they want to hunt you'll find out there's not much time for them esp in rifle season after the time change.
I do understand what you mean though. But imagine having an afternoon on Sunday to dive deeper in somewhere that you normally don't have time to hunt after spending the morning with the family.
Archery season is easy with hitting the woods after work but once the clocks roll back I'm done, leaving only saturdays
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:47 am

I completely understand that, I'm a husband and a dad myself. I devoted many Sundays this season to taking my son out after church in the morning. You can certainly find balance but I do know it's hard sometimes. I liked having the option to go but certainly didn't hunt every Sunday I could just because of the family. I wouldn't call it silly, family should be priority #1.
mzldr2

Unread postby mzldr2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:42 am

The PA Farm Bureau along with several organizations such as the Audubon Society are the main dissenters. The majority of the arguments against Sunday hunting have long since been proven to have little basis or have been proven to have very effective alternatives. I grew up in SW PA on a farm. Growing up, it was a rather easy task of asking for permission to hunt and being allowed access to the property. Most of the farms in the are I grew up on/near consisted of rolling hills and were in the 100ac range and most of them are developments or overgrown fields now. Now I live in South Central PA and have lived here for 20yrs. Getting permission to hunt on a farm is near impossible....and I try EVERY year. BUT the farmers all complain about deer.....

On a side note, my wife's family is very active in the Ag community, with both business interests and involvement on most of the PA Ag boards. So I look at this issue not only from a personal "I want to hunt on Sundays" perspective, but also the political and business side of things.

The 2 main arguments are 1) Farmers want a "peaceful day on the farm" to avoid the Orange army and 2) Hikers, Bikers, walkers, joggers, want to go in the woods without being shot at.
Lets look at both of those:
1) If Sunday hunting was permitted state wide, the option of posting your farm as a NO Sunday Hunting property is a viable option. There are 52 Sundays in a year and allowing Sunday hunting would currently open up 2 Sundays during normal gun season and possibly 1 during the early muzzy and Jr/Sr hunt ... That is 3 of 52 Sundays where guns are involved. :think: PLUS, these Sundays are in December when farming activity is at is lowest. For Archery season, the impact of archers in the woods is less intrusive - no gun shots, and probably don't know they are in a tree..BUT you can still post your ground as NO SUNDAY HUNTING.

2) In PA, ALL state game lands are paid for by PA hunting license. The game commission has been proactive in enforcing laws against biking, horseback riding, etc. during hunting seasons. There are 1.5 million acres of PA State Game Lands and an additional 2.2 Million acres of State Forest Land in PA. That is 3.7 Million acres of NON FARM Land that could easily be available for Sunday Hunting and not interfere with anything farm related. As for Hikers, Bikers, joggers, etc, rifles would be in the woods on approximately 3 of 52 Sundays, Turkey hunting could constitute a few Sundays, and possibly small game, but in the end, the game lands are PAID for by the hunters.

So Let's look at the real reason the Farm Bureau has fought Sunday hunting for so long.....it needs to support the perceived needs of its constituents, and influential ones at that. It is a major lobby with a lot of influence and MONEY. The statistics are easy to see why there is so much resistance. Lancaster/Lebanon/York/Berks/Adams/Franklin counties in the South Central tier make up 22% of the farms in PA and 19% of the farm land in PA. These 6 counties, primarily Lancaster county (5,475 Farms ~50% Amish Owned), are in the heart of PA Amish country where nothing happens on Sundays. In addition, these counties contain very few State Games Lands and almost no State Forest land.

I do think we are getting closer and closer to PA Congress turning over power to the Game Commission on this issue due several groups putting a lot of pressure on local representatives and several new representatives that are advocates of Sunday hunting. I think Sunday hunting will open up a lot of opportunities to get young hunters in the woods and from a personal perspective, I know it would allow my son and I significantly more time to hunt together other than just a few Saturdays.
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:48 am

Needs to change ASAP. Ridiculous law with the worst excuses against it IMO. As well as there being a 2 week gap between archery and rifle season which is absurd as well. But what can we do about it besides wait for legislation to change?
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:56 am

There were at least 3 weekends, I think 4 this season that the weather was garbage on Saturday and perfect on Sunday. I perfectly understand your little dilemma but its not that hard to look at weather forecasts and pick the better day to hunt.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
backstrap19

Unread postby backstrap19 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:47 am

Oh, if they pass Sunday hunting, i'll no doubt take advantage. I don't disagree with you guys at all on your statements. I was just throwing that angle out there since it has crossed my mind many times. If they pass sunday hunting, i won't throw a fit. i'll probably hunt. I love this forum for the fact that you can throw out a differing opinion, and people can disagree with me without being jerks or starting a fight. i appreciate the productive conversation.
RAU

Unread postby RAU » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:50 am

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!! That said I support Sunday hunting 100%
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:31 am

This needs to be passed and I believe it will be this year... if it does you will not see it reflect in the seasons until the 20-21 seasons.. I have done extensive research on this subject and the majority of folks I talk to that oppose it are very much uninformed about whats going on in our state. Some even believe the PGC is against it and controls our ability to hunt on Sunday. I try to inform as many people as I can but most are to hard headed to listen... lol
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 am

mzldr2 wrote:The PA Farm Bureau along with several organizations such as the Audubon Society are the main dissenters. The majority of the arguments against Sunday hunting have long since been proven to have little basis or have been proven to have very effective alternatives. I grew up in SW PA on a farm. Growing up, it was a rather easy task of asking for permission to hunt and being allowed access to the property. Most of the farms in the are I grew up on/near consisted of rolling hills and were in the 100ac range and most of them are developments or overgrown fields now. Now I live in South Central PA and have lived here for 20yrs. Getting permission to hunt on a farm is near impossible....and I try EVERY year. BUT the farmers all complain about deer.....

On a side note, my wife's family is very active in the Ag community, with both business interests and involvement on most of the PA Ag boards. So I look at this issue not only from a personal "I want to hunt on Sundays" perspective, but also the political and business side of things.

The 2 main arguments are 1) Farmers want a "peaceful day on the farm" to avoid the Orange army and 2) Hikers, Bikers, walkers, joggers, want to go in the woods without being shot at.
Lets look at both of those:
1) If Sunday hunting was permitted state wide, the option of posting your farm as a NO Sunday Hunting property is a viable option. There are 52 Sundays in a year and allowing Sunday hunting would currently open up 2 Sundays during normal gun season and possibly 1 during the early muzzy and Jr/Sr hunt ... That is 3 of 52 Sundays where guns are involved. :think: PLUS, these Sundays are in December when farming activity is at is lowest. For Archery season, the impact of archers in the woods is less intrusive - no gun shots, and probably don't know they are in a tree..BUT you can still post your ground as NO SUNDAY HUNTING.

2) In PA, ALL state game lands are paid for by PA hunting license. The game commission has been proactive in enforcing laws against biking, horseback riding, etc. during hunting seasons. There are 1.5 million acres of PA State Game Lands and an additional 2.2 Million acres of State Forest Land in PA. That is 3.7 Million acres of NON FARM Land that could easily be available for Sunday Hunting and not interfere with anything farm related. As for Hikers, Bikers, joggers, etc, rifles would be in the woods on approximately 3 of 52 Sundays, Turkey hunting could constitute a few Sundays, and possibly small game, but in the end, the game lands are PAID for by the hunters.

So Let's look at the real reason the Farm Bureau has fought Sunday hunting for so long.....it needs to support the perceived needs of its constituents, and influential ones at that. It is a major lobby with a lot of influence and MONEY. The statistics are easy to see why there is so much resistance. Lancaster/Lebanon/York/Berks/Adams/Franklin counties in the South Central tier make up 22% of the farms in PA and 19% of the farm land in PA. These 6 counties, primarily Lancaster county (5,475 Farms ~50% Amish Owned), are in the heart of PA Amish country where nothing happens on Sundays. In addition, these counties contain very few State Games Lands and almost no State Forest land.

I do think we are getting closer and closer to PA Congress turning over power to the Game Commission on this issue due several groups putting a lot of pressure on local representatives and several new representatives that are advocates of Sunday hunting. I think Sunday hunting will open up a lot of opportunities to get young hunters in the woods and from a personal perspective, I know it would allow my son and I significantly more time to hunt together other than just a few Saturdays.

very well said
kcole1987

Unread postby kcole1987 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:48 pm

I'm all for it. I'm also all for extending our archery season that ends two weekends into November which I just don't understand.
John 6:47: "I'm telling you the most solemn and sober truth now: Whoever believes in me has real life, eternal life. I am the Bread of life.
ANF Hunter

Unread postby ANF Hunter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:25 pm

The Sunday hunting (and car buying) prohibition is what gives me approximately zero percent confidence in our state legislature. There is not a soul living or dead who has the right to tell me on which day of the week I can seek my pleasures.... but there are still 52 Sundays per year when I can hunt coyotes with my semi auto rifle. What a backwards mess.
ANF Hunter

Unread postby ANF Hunter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Apparently there is a critical shortage of tar and feathers in this fine state
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:50 pm

PA has always been a complicated mess of game laws that hurt the game animals and the hunters that pay for the land they inhabit. The law needs changed and changed ASAP.

Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”