Topo help for big woods buck bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KyBowHunter14

Topo help for big woods buck bedding

Unread postby KyBowHunter14 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:19 pm

Im new to the beast and have seen some topo pictures and read bucks like points and bedding on certain elevation on those points. Is there anyone can explain what those certain elevation are or post pictures or lead me to a link to show me those preferred buck bedding elevation and locations. The one public ground I hunt regularly is in KY and its mostly big woods and cutovers. Everything looks the same over and over, I've found multiple locations that have great sign year after year but I want to find a better way to hunt those locations to try and be successful. Any help is appreciated.

Trout
500 Club

Re: Topo help for big woods buck bedding

Unread postby Trout » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:00 pm

Check out the all time best tactical threads post pinned to the top of this forum. Tons of great info in there, even most of the stuff that isn't there for big woods specifically still applies amd can be used to hunt big woods.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 am

I don’t have any links but I am sure someone will post some. I find most buck bedding in big woods to be upper 1/3 elevation wind and cover to back looking into more open woods. And almost always on some sort of military crest and off to one side of a point or finger. They also like to bed on the edge of cuts with wind and cover to back looking into more open woods. If it is mostly mature woods with little cover they will be on some sort of military crest for sure and a lot of times will be upper 1/3 on a leeward ridge.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:33 am

best advice i can tell you is get out and wear out a pair of boots you found the sign now back track it too bedding follow all the trails make note of doe bedding buck bedding rub lines scrapes concentrated piles of poop leaving bedding. thats a big one when you find piles of poo on a exit trail with sign of brows that is a likely staging area exiting bedding where a deer hangs up and waits for dark. i like getting a little past that point because often the deer exit where they can have a thermal or wind advantage in there staging.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”