Who has jumped a mature buck and shot it near it's bed the next morning?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Who has jumped a mature buck and shot it near it's bed the next morning?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:37 pm

What time of year and what type of terrain? Most of us have tried it and most of us have failed. Would love to hear the success stories. I jumped one tonight an hour and a half before dark and I'm not super motivated to attempt the ol bump and dump in the AM.

James
500 Club

Re: Who has jumped a mature buck and shot it near it's bed the next morning?

Unread postby James » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:45 pm

2006 on Oct 30 was the only time it worked for me. I jumped the buck out of his bed on the 29th. I snuck back in on that ridge the very next morning super early and hunted right over his bed. Shot him coming back to bed right away, maybe 20 minutes after shooting light.

Jumped a lot of others over the years and never had it pan out when I setup on them.

I have some post shot interview footage and the recovery somewhere. I’ll try to find it. Fun hunt

Here is a still from that old recovery video

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:28 pm

One heck of a deer James.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:50 pm

I heard you guys got a couple more inches of snow. how stupid does it sound to find his track after the morning hunt where you bumped it and follow it to give you an idea??
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Sounds smart, not stupid. A good track can tell you a lot.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:29 pm

krent12 wrote:I heard you guys got a couple more inches of snow. how stupid does it sound to find his track after the morning hunt where you bumped it and follow it to give you an idea??

Definitely if there's plenty of open land, getting on the track is not a dumb idea. That's the best way to figure out his haunts.
swwave24

Unread postby swwave24 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:30 pm

November 7, 2018

I slept in till about 10:00a.m. or so, had a case of bow hunter burnout after sitting in a heavy rainstorm the on the November 6.

Arrived at the piece of public around 11:00a.m. Property was hill country. Was on property one time before, never had a chance to post season scout the property. Judging from ariel photos it set up well for a rut hunt. I thought the bedding would be off the points, but learned this wasn’t the case in this scenario.

As I headed the steep hillside cut on the hunter access trail. I jumped a nice buck. He took off and was watching in my direction. So... I froze, because he saw me, but didn’t smell me. The buck eventually calmed down and walked toward a bedding point. I don’t think he new what I was was.

As I got closer to the area I jumped him out of. I noticed several good/fresh rubs all around the cut at the top 1/3 of the ridge. I’m think to myself, I’m going set up right above from where I jump him.

I get up above 23’ in the stand. Set up around 1145a.m. I noticed more rubs all over the cut. Then noticed a bed about 15 yards in front of me. (Great bedding set up, he was watching access trail, bedding in wind tunnel, this cover to his back and CRP field to escape too.) It was one of those hunts I was about 99.9% sure he was going to be back. It was just a matter of when.

So almost 2 hours goes by... Look who comes rolling in at 130p.m. He scanned the bedding area from the ridge top area he escaped too. He started coming towards the bed in the cut. Before coming back to the bed, he headed towards a scrape. On the way to the scrape I had an opening at him at 23 yards. I was able to heart shot the beautiful buck. He went 30 yards and tipped over.

Easiest drag ever!!! 250’ down the hill. 150 yards from the vehicle.

Not quite the morning after, but similar kind of principles.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:40 am

Why not hunt it in the AM and if it doesn't pan out, if theres snow, track him and see where he retreated to or what direction he went just for learning purposes for the future? You might learn he just went to a bedding area not too far away and you can try to set up on him there. If you're not killing, you're still learning something.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:10 am

Whoops double post
Last edited by brancher147 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:13 am

brancher147 wrote:I have had this work twice in hill country, unfortunately I was not able to connect either time.

I have tried it in the mountains in WV with terrible results, never worked. Old big woods mountain bucks just don't come back to the same bed very often even when not jumped. I jumped one in the snow with a doe a few weeks ago during muzzleloader. He went 1.5 miles and crossed 3 steep 4000 ft ridges before even slowing down, then took a sharp turn off another ridge and towards the next county (literally) where I left the track and called it a loss.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
sbeasley

Unread postby sbeasley » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:26 am

I pulled off my 1st b&d during our gun season. Story has drifted down to page 3 i believe or under tactical threads " bump and dump question".

Shot him roughy 40 minutes after bumping in late morning.

What do you think is higher odds guys: bump and dump same day or following morning?

Cant believe PTC still has a buck tag. Do you just keep printing new ones off? :lol:

I probably wouldnt have any better options than trying his bed. What do you have to lose?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”