Back tension for hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
EllieTheChubb

Re: Back tension for hunting?

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:16 pm

The idea is sound. I'm pretty good on a target but when I have a pin on the boiler room I find myself punching the trigger. I think for me atleast its more about being patient and not rushing shots than changing my release.

The old adage of it being a poor craftsman that blames his tools comes to mind.

In no way am I knocking people who use back tensions but the release is not the problem. If it helps you get over your deficiency great. But it's not a cure.

KyBowHunter14

Unread postby KyBowHunter14 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:07 pm

Ive been using a back tension for hunting for the past 5 seasons, I honestly don't think I will ever switch back. I know some will argue maybe its not ethical or its a disadvantage but so is constantly punching a trigger prematurely. Its all what you get comfortable with and I have 100 percent confidence in my ability to put a ethical shot each time I execute a shot. Since I started I have harvested over a dozen animals and have only lost 1, and that was not due to the release. Practice and hunt what you feel comfortable with, it can be done.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Outdoorsman89 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:. i recommend you check out knock on archery and follow along with john threw his you tube program. https://www.youtube.com/user/nockonarchery after watching his content ive become totally proficient at shooting. i no longer shoot surprised now i shoot with full control of my shot process. this season im 3 for 3 on heart shot deer with the bow. whats nice with his program is its broken down into segments so if you find yourself struggling with a certain part you can go back and review. target panic is different for everybody so being able to understand and break down on certain points and identify whats going on is the most important part. one problem can cause a chain reaction in your shot. shooting just back tension blank bale is not a cure all its a process that will make you a better shooter once i figured that out i was fixed in a month.

Ghosthunter I agree, John Dudley and Nock On has helped me tons in understanding correct shot process. I've listed to over 150 hours of his podcasts and watched all his videos. I'm on his cure target panic program to become a better archer.
I do disagree though that you say you no longer shoot surprised. That's directly against what Dudley preaches. He wants a surprise shot every time. When you start to anticipate is when the panic has a chance to start. Once you start thinking this shot is gonna go off right "now" it leads down a bad road. I'm not saying you shouldn't have control of the shot process and repeatable timing, just that it should be a surprise shot as opposed to this release is going to go off right "now".

But I suggest everyone to watch "John Dudley mastering the release aid" on youtube and make your own opinions.
take a look at joel turner also the way i shoot now i follow johns shooting fundamentals but i use a wrist release now i follow all the form but now after being able too control target panic i shoot with full control again i shoot with full control of my release if i need too make a fast shot ill punch if i need too take a long shot i can pull threw for a more surprised release. the thing you need too remember is unless your shooting a release that goes off at different times your still going too start to anticipate your hing thumb wrist rocket ect. threw repetition your going too be able too time your shot. getting past that and accepting it is going too happen is the next evolution. in the end your still going too have too find that special place and put your mind in full focus and execute your controlled shot. i hope that makes sense its not easy too explain 8-) too put it another way is almost every person can not hold a pin in one place on a target its going too move up and down side to side in figure 8s ect . what needs to be done is you follow your shot cycle put the pin on the spot and control your break with proper back tension at the right moment when the stars align you make a controlled break and the arrow lands where you want it too go. once target panic is under control you can do this every time with control.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:23 pm

RiverBottoms wrote:I hate target panic, it crept up on me slowly over the years. I switched from a wrist strap to a thumb this year and found that target panic with a thumb release is worse. When I anticipate the shot with the thumb release I have missed the target completely where using a wrist strap I wouldn't hit may mark, but I'd stay on the target at least. A big contributor was I was afraid the release would fire if I was wearing thick gloves or brushed against a collared hunting coat, so I tightened up the trigger resistance right before season....not good.

To clarify, since I am new to back tension releases, are you looking to switch to a true back tension (resistance activated) or a hinge activated release? Does any one hunt with either style? Is there a difference of opinion when considering a hunting application for each style?

it sounds like you are going threw what i did try using a hing in the off season there is no way you can punch with a hing it will force you too control your punch. it will feel super weird at first but once you learn too shoot a hing you will be able too shoot with a wrist strap without punching. the biggest thing is you really have too want to fix your problem dont cut corners if you anticipate a punch happening stop let down and reset eventually you will overcome it. and when you do you will feel like a new person.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:33 pm

once target panic is cured you guys can shoot any release you want but i still recommend everybody give a hing a try its a great training tool that will improve your form. if you go with something like a scott longhorn you will still have wrist strap so it will feel more comfortable using during your shot cycle. when i hunt i carry hing or wrist strap and shoot ether one once you get your mind in control whats on your wrist does not matter.
csp13

Unread postby csp13 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 am

Like a few others on this thread, I too am moving to a Silverback and using Dudley's advice for a shot process. I just came across his "School of Nock" Youtube series and plan on following that. All in all it seems like back tension releases can be great for hunting, just have to put your reps in and be pretty familiar with them.
csp13

Unread postby csp13 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 am

Like a few others on this thread, I too am moving to a Silverback and using Dudley's advice for a shot process. I just came across his "School of Nock" Youtube series and plan on following that. All in all it seems like back tension releases can be great for hunting, just have to put your reps in and be pretty familiar with them.
Buckshot1822

Unread postby Buckshot1822 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 am

I started shooting a hinge a few years ago due to severe target panic issues. It helped me work through the issues I was having. I have been hunting with it ever since then. I will likely never go back to another style of release for anything. I shoot a STAN Blackjack.
PAbowhunter

Unread postby PAbowhunter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 am

Outdoorsman89 wrote:You can and people do. I just made the commitment to go to back tension after some trigger punching and anticipation. I am now in the first week of no sight on the bow blank bale shooting with back tension. I am shooting a silver back (2 finger Carter evolution).

My hope is to be able to shoot a thumb trigger in the future for hunting but if not I will use the back tension release until I can. I'm following John Dudley's advice on how to get rid of target panic and trigger punching.

I can definitely notice when my shots aren't good and my form breaks down with this release. When it isn't going off right your form is wrong. I also now know what a true surprise shot feels like.

I did the same thing for months. No sight, blank bale etc. I was dialed in too. The second I put the sight back on , back to pulling the trigger. My brain wouldn’t work. Sight came back off and back at it. Even after shooting the evo properly for awhile going to the thumb was tough. I got the same body style as evo I think it’s the sensation. I would mix it in to my shooting. Few shots with evo then switch to the sensation. One day it just clicked and has been great ever since.
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:42 am

A lot of guys get hung up on staring at the pin. When you shoot all focus should be on the spot you want to hit. Let the pine be there and watch as the arrow hits the spot your looking at.

If you get caught up on what the pin is doing it leads to anticipation and trying to be too perfect.

Years ago I had TP issues. An old 90's style Stan hinge cured me.

Some people also have too long of a draw which also sends you down the TP road. I can shoot any bow too short, give me one an 1/8" or more too long I can't settle the pin.

I've shot a lot of deer with the hinge once your used to one it's easy, you can speed up the shot if needed I never had an issue missing out on an opportunity because of one.
Outdoorsman89

Unread postby Outdoorsman89 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:06 am

Update to switching to back tension to cure target panic and trigger punching.

I'm two months into training. Started off by ditching my trigger wrist strap and buying a silverback / Evo by Carter. Pulled off my sight and just worked on blank bail for 3 weeks learning how to use the release.

Then I joined a beginner class with level 4 nts instructor to totally start fresh and learn the correct form. I then put my sight back on and started working blank bale while aquiring my peep and sight for a week. Following week started shooting at a target at 10yards. Week after that went to 20.

I am now working on improving score and trying to remain consistent in the shot process. If something feels off I cancel the shot and start again.

Target panic and punching is gone, now just polishing the form and shot process. Having an instructor to ask questions and get feedback was the best decision I made because I don't have the doubt I did when trying to figure it out in my own.

I'm not shooting 300s yet but I continue to shoot at least 4 times a week, mostly in my basement at 10 yards to increase stamina and work on perfect shot sequence.

Plan is to start doing some small tournament shoots in the upcoming months to add a level of stress and adrenaline. That's going to help big time when a deer is finally in range. I'm also going to be doing more 3d for yardage estimation and working on shot placement as well as shooting under less than perfect settings.
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:55 pm

I've use the back tension for target practice. It helps a lot with target panic to enforcing form and follow through. I keep it as a spare when I am hunting. But many situations in tight cover or rut hunting you have a super tight window of getting the shot off. You could easily miss a chance waiting for the shot to break. But more early season aka food source hunting you could definitely get away with back tension.
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:13 pm

Used a Carter Evo last year for first time and went 6 for 6 on deer. I have bad target panic and this helped me tremendously. only bad thing I have to say about it was that I couldn't leave it hooked on my string. I just kept it iny pocket while on stand
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Best indoor I ever shot was a 300 21x with a wrist rocket. Scott mini goose. My pin floats all the time into the 9 and 8 rings, I don’t care just burn a hole through the x. Shot breaks and what do ya know 3x’s. Guys focus wayyy to much on the pin. Learn your natural float and let the shot break clean. Longhorn hunter or backspin are great hinges to learn the proper techniques of back tension and how to properly shoot a hinge. Like ghosthunter said once ya learn a hinge you can shoot any release ya want.
Pse

Unread postby Pse » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:40 pm

I never had target panic when shooting live game but every so often on targets I would fire a bad shot especially if people were watching I would rush the shot. Several years ago I bought a carter squeeze me release its a wrist release that fires using back tension, I couldn't shoot it anywhere near as well as I could my regular trigger release and I'd give up. This past season I knew I wouldn't get to hunt so I thought its the perfect time to commit to learning a new way of shooting the bow . I'm 6 months in and couldn't be happier I wish I'd stuck with it years ago , you have to except your going to backwards with your shooting to start with and that's frustrating

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”