Bow holders? Best one and why?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HoosierBowman2425

Bow holders? Best one and why?

Unread postby HoosierBowman2425 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:41 pm

I'm looking for everyone's opinions on bow holders. I typically use a screw in folding type hanger but had a few instances this year where that type of holder prevented me from drawing my bow. What's everyone using?

Dewey

Re: Bow holders? Best one and why?

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Third Hand Archery bow holder. All my stands have them mounted so my bow is always right next to me on my right side. (I’m left handed)

http://thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=10
HoosierBowman2425

Unread postby HoosierBowman2425 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:59 pm

Dewey wrote:Third Hand Archery bow holder. All my stands have them mounted so my bow is always right next to me on my right side. (I’m left handed)

http://thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=10

Thank you. I'll give them a look.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 am

I use the third hand holder too. It holds everything....your bow, saplings, cornstalks, cattails, branches. I get so frustrated with that thing when I’m walking to my stand. It is really nice once your all set tho. Nothing is perfect. I’m going to continue to use it. I need to try to figure out a way to move it out of the way when I’m walking to my stand.
I mounted it on the right side of the seat on my alpha. I’m a lefty too.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:04 am

matt1336 wrote:I use the third hand holder too. It holds everything....your bow, saplings, cornstalks, cattails, branches. I get so frustrated with that thing when I’m walking to my stand. It is really nice once your all set tho. Nothing is perfect. I’m going to continue to use it. I need to try to figure out a way to move it out of the way when I’m walking to my stand.

Haha, that is the one reason I have not used one with my lone wolf setup yet. However, I am not really liking the position of my bow in the built in bow holder either.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:25 am

I use a 2 piece climber and i have a U shaped bow holder screwed into the top piece of my climber. Whatever you choose just make sure your set up allows for the least amount of movement. I can grab my bow and pull it back on a deer and the bow hardly moves because it's already sitting up in front of me. I see some guys that have to reach out over for their bow because they hang it so far away. If i had to do that that it may have cost me my one buck this year.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:26 am

I've tried a couple hunting specific setups and keep coming back to the rubber coated variety you get at the hardware store for a buck or two. Cheap effective and easily replaced when I inravriably leave it in a tree.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
gunner24

Unread postby gunner24 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:51 am

I'm w/ elk Yinzer on this one too. buy a 10 pack rubber coated ones for $9.99 and your set for a season even if you forget a few in the tree a time or two which has been known to happen a time or two
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:40 am

HunterBob wrote:
matt1336 wrote:I use the third hand holder too. It holds everything....your bow, saplings, cornstalks, cattails, branches. I get so frustrated with that thing when I’m walking to my stand. It is really nice once your all set tho. Nothing is perfect. I’m going to continue to use it. I need to try to figure out a way to move it out of the way when I’m walking to my stand.

Haha, that is the one reason I have not used one with my lone wolf setup yet. However, I am not really liking the position of my bow in the built in bow holder either.

I stopped using the built in bow holder after my bow fell out of it. Luckily it fell into cattails and nothing was damaged.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:47 am

I have tried them all and nothing I really liked. I am looking forward to Dans stands as I think I heard that there may be a built in bow holder for that one. I am interested to see where that is located. I do not like the Lone Wolf location at all.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:59 am

If you can find one, give the Bohning Bow Hitch a try. The female section mounts to the stand, the male section to your bow. Super lightweight and you can't even tell it's there. Been using one for the last couple years and haven't had any problems with it.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:42 am

elk yinzer wrote:I've tried a couple hunting specific setups and keep coming back to the rubber coated variety you get at the hardware store for a buck or two. Cheap effective and easily replaced when I inravriably leave it in a tree.

What shape of this do you use?
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:24 am

HunterBob wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:I've tried a couple hunting specific setups and keep coming back to the rubber coated variety you get at the hardware store for a buck or two. Cheap effective and easily replaced when I inravriably leave it in a tree.

What shape of this do you use?

I don't ever sit with my bow on the hook. I am usually holding my bow if I am sitting it's on my lap.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:31 am

Can’t use screw ins on public in WI. I use the HME hook belt that clips around the tree. Got it at cabelas for under $15.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:40 am

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Big-Gam ... 745530.uts
I bought 2 of these. Work for what I’m doing
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”