Rest period after a kill

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Navy96

Rest period after a kill

Unread postby Navy96 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:34 am

How long should you avoid an area AFTER you harvest a buck there? Especially if theirs multiple shooters in the area.

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Rest period after a kill

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:44 am

Depends on your impact to the other bucks. I shot a 3 year old buck this year in a bedding area during very high winds on my first sit in that area. When I got up to the dead buck I jumped a bigger buck bedded just below and he ran off. With the high wind he didn't much hear or see me and definitely did not smell me. I packed the buck out the same way I came in and came back a couple weeks later and had I think the same bigger buck walk the same route the buck I shot did and the bigger buck almost stepped over the dead buck's carcass. I would have hunted it sooner, but was on an out of state trip, then had to work, and then waited on the right wind. But if the conditions are right and other shooters are in there I would be right back in there asap.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:35 am

If conditions are right I'm going back in next day.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:50 am

ive killed bucks standing 3 feet from my gut pile from day before. i normally dont go back at all any more though with the deer numbers at a all time low and fact that im normally only targeting the largest buck in there. i simply hunt other areas the rest of season too try and spread my kills out so i have deer for the next year. but the longer you wait the more chance you have of busting out the other deer from ground scent. so id say asap or give it some time too settle down sometimes just a small move is all thats needed to find a fresh sit. every situation will be different so go with your gut. deer dont seam to be bothered buy blood but if the predators move in that can change things up quiet a bit on its own too.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:07 am

I killed a 2.5 yo 8 point in the same location a friend killed a buck the day before.
The carcass doesn’t seem to bother them to much. IMO the amount of disturbance you make recovering the other deer is the important factor.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:53 am

Hit the iron while it is hot, and the deer in the area. We shot 3 deer in 2 mornings out of the same stand this year - it was where they wanted to be at that particular time.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:43 am

As soon as I feel like going back, had no problems in the past when a spot is good. This year when I filled my 2nd buck tag he was laying beside a camera I had over a scrape, had a video of me dragging him through the scrape and that night had 4 other bucks visit that scrape. 3 were young 1.5-2.5 year olds but one was a 4.5+ buck
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Two years ago I killed a 2.5 yr old buck two days after shooting a doe out of the same stand. My buddy sat in it 3 days later and saw deer. never made a shot but said he could have.

It was a secluded oak grove with a fern understory. They just couldnt get enough of it. One week later they cleaned it up and werent seen in there for the rest of the season. That said.. no mature deer were seen in there on camera after it was hunted
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:50 pm

For me it's situational. In early season I haven't had any luck in the same spot. After the pressure hits if i can get into a good no pressure large bedding area where they stack up I've had good luck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”