Seriously...the Moon

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KPnorthdakota

Re: Seriously...the Moon

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:28 am

brancher147 wrote:I have paid attention to the major and minor times (moon rise/set, and OH/UF) and do think there is something to it, but I also think it has to coincide with other factors such as cold front, rut, high pressure, high deer density, etc. I have noticed when you can get a few of those things to line up, it can really make a difference... It's not a huge game changer, just a tool for the toolbox-when the conditions come together.

I believe this ^^^ is spot on.

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:57 am

Rich M wrote:The main observation for me is that I see less deer on the evenings with a full moon.

I feel the same....this also seems to be the main observation from most. My personal opinion is that we see less daytime movement during a full moon because the full moon provides just the right amount of light that the deer are up all night doing their thing and resting in the daylight hrs...it seems to me that deer prefer that low light period more than no light or complete light. Maybe that is why they pretty much always move at dawn and dusk. I really have no idea and just bade that off my observation here in Florida....i also noticed they seem to move more when the mosquitos get bad here. Which coincides with dusk and dawn as well. If mosquitoes can cause the giant caribou migration im sure they can make deer move around for a few hours when they are at their worst here....but regardless...i go when i can and base most my decisions on wind more than anything else.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:22 am

brancher147 wrote:I have paid attention to the major and minor times (moon rise/set, and OH/UF) and do think there is something to it, but I also think it has to coincide with other factors such as cold front, rut, high pressure, high deer density, etc. I have noticed when you can get a few of those things to line up, it can really make a difference.

I didn't have time to pay much attention to it this year and still had a fine season. It's not a huge game changer, just a tool for the toolbox-when the conditions come together.

Very much agreed, it is alwasy more than one thing and if you can line up more than one you will be in better shape. I have had moon evenings when the woods have been dead but far more when things are far more active than usual. Like Dewey said, pay attention to all nature and you will start to pick up on it more, or go ask any serious fisherman. There is a very clear effect but I don't think we are close to really understanding it.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:43 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:
K then... This one deals specifically with overhead/underfoot rise and set times:
https://moonguide.com/wp-content/upload ... -03-01.pdf

Not really thrilled with how they conducted the study, they take readings every half hour which makes sense if you are a scientist but not really a beast hunter setting up on a bed. Even the guy selling the moon guide lists every day on his calendar which isn't what we are talking about, we would need to study more of the red moon days against all the other days and track movement far more than 30 minute intervals to get to the goods.

Just for an example, say you have a pressured public land buck that does not move far at all on almost every evening, say under 40 yards during shooting hours. Now say on certain days that buck moved a little earlier and covered over 100 yards before dark, I want to know what influenced that movement.
kcole1987

Unread postby kcole1987 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:27 am

i have bought the moon guide, I've also read charles alsheimer's book. bought the moon guide just to see if there really was more movement during the times they say, not so much to use it to hunt. on some occasions it was spot on, others not so much, based on real life sightings and camera photos. IMHO weather, temp, food, pressure, cover have more of an effect and is much more predictable than overhead, underfoot times or moon phase. i think all those things put together in correlation with the right overhead/ underfoot times can be dynamite. Alsheimer if anyone hasn't read his book, he pinpoints what phases of the rut will happen based on the second full moon after the autumn equinox. here in southwestern PA it has been spot on give or take a day or two since i have started paying attention to it. too much to type out here. weather trumps all things in my opinion
John 6:47: "I'm telling you the most solemn and sober truth now: Whoever believes in me has real life, eternal life. I am the Bread of life.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:25 am

I think it’s one of those things that if you believe in it, then t will be that way. Did that buck come your way that day at that time because of the moon or did he get pushed by a coyote or the scent of another hunter or who knows what?
If I had enough predictability in the bucks I hunt I might purchase a moon guide and use it as part of my tool bag. Unfortunately, it’s usually a crapshoot as to whether a buck will do what I hope he will do. For many reasons!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:38 pm

Regardless of moon phase or position I'm still going hunting when ever I can. Im not going hunting in the middle of the afternoon because some moon chart says it's a major feeding time. I keep track of a lot of factors that play into deer movement, behavior, and activities. Moon is the least influential factor from my observations. I won't modify my hunting plans based on moon stuff. The one thing that I notice is that on full moon with clear skies, deer are moving much later in the evening and getting back to bedding earlier. No big mystery there.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:26 am

brancher147 wrote:I have paid attention to the major and minor times (moon rise/set, and OH/UF) and do think there is something to it, but I also think it has to coincide with other factors such as cold front, rut, high pressure, high deer density, etc. I have noticed when you can get a few of those things to line up, it can really make a difference.

I didn't have time to pay much attention to it this year and still had a fine season. It's not a huge game changer, just a tool for the toolbox-when the conditions come together.

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:54 am

I just hunt when times allow it & play the wind
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:01 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I just hunt when times allow it & play the wind

Same here. Recently wondering if I’ve been missing something crucial with that big rock in the sky. It’s cool to hear the different views.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Truthfully, Im not sure that most of us have seen enough "true" long term data to make a determination, myself included. I also struggle to make a correlation as to why there can be almost a 30-60 day difference in the rut between counties.The fish correlation is also hard for me to use since I live in Florida and the tides are affected by the moon. A more dramatic tide brings more food through a given area which increases the feeding activity. More food is not flowing through a given area during a full/new moon in a hunting area. My observation this year was that the new moon coincided with the typical "peak of the rut" for my area and we saw less movement than normal. However, the greatest movements were when a weather front moved through. We also had a warmer year than normal and a lot more rain than normal, yet all of the fawns will drop next year at about the same time as always. Dr. Bob Sheppard has some interesting views on the moon and its affect on breeding.

The "head scratcher" for me is that all of the big buck killers that I know believe that the moon does affect deer movement so maybe I am 100% wrong.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:23 pm

funderburk wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:I just hunt when times allow it & play the wind

Same here. Recently wondering if I’ve been missing something crucial with that big rock in the sky. It’s cool to hear the different views.

I bought the moon guide & DVD to no avail... 3 Years of info collected w/no real correlation...
Gave everything to Stanley & he did a much better study & virtually had the same experiences...

:violin:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Mnbowhunter12

Unread postby Mnbowhunter12 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:47 pm

The only things I've ever noticed over my years of bowhunting is when the moon is half full in the afternoon sky that's my favorite time to head out early in the afternoon, have had good deer movement. Secondly when the moon is at its highest brightest overnight period and there is a hard frost the deer seem to bed close to the food then move to another location after day break. Happened to me Christmas eve this week and seen numerous does and the biggest buck of the year coming to bed late. Anyone else notice this?
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:54 am

I'm one of those hunters that keeps a detailed journal. I started last year and have continued this year. I write in it every day regardless if I hunt or not. I was successful last year at harvesting a mature buck and should of been this year as well, long story short the shot was there twice but I was unable to close the deal on two seperate ocassions.
After reviewing my journal from all big buck sightings, harvests, and trail cams I have noticed that these occurances have "all" occurred on or around (plus or minus a day) of a major moon phases. To elaborate more on this it was within two hours of the exact time also.
I was very skeptical of the moon myself, I was not a believer several years ago. After I went back through my journals and notes and discovered this I almost had a heart attack and fell out of my chair.
Also keep in mind though that the moon is not the only factor. You must also take in the time of year, weather, and all your other things that favor the big buck.
So my suggestion to anyone that is skeptical about the moon. Do yourself a favor and start keeping a detailed journal. When doing so there are certain patterns and concistancies that will show themselves. Good luck and I hope you find the answers you are searching for.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:05 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
I bought the moon guide & DVD to no avail... 3 Years of info collected w/no real correlation...
Gave everything to Stanley & he did a much better study & virtually had the same experiences...

I think half the confusion with the moon is because people are talking about different things all the time so it can be hard to sort it out. I think even Dan and Andrea have said that they don't follow the daily moon guide stuff, just specific days where the moon is OH/UF during prime times or during the rut. That doesn't even take info consideration moon rise/set, phases and variout other data. Too much confusion, I doubt we ever get any kind of consensus.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”