Seriously...the Moon

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Seriously...the Moon

Unread postby funderburk » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:20 am

When it comes to what works in the whitetail woods, I trust you guys more than anyone. With that said, what definite effects have you witnessed concerning the moon and deer behavior?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
KPnorthdakota

Re: Seriously...the Moon

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:25 am

funderburk wrote:When it comes to what works in the whitetail woods, I trust you guys more than anyone. With that said, what definite effects have you witnessed concerning the moon and deer behavior?

I’ve tried to follow moon patterns with no success. I’m not saying it doesn’t work, but it hasn’t for me. The only thing I’ve noticed is more activity during the dark period (new moon).

I think weather can enhance or deter more than moon. But, what do I know. :?
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:31 am

I haven't watched it very closely, but I definitely notice less early morning movement when there's a full or close to full moon. Sometimes I see movement earlier in the afternoon on those days (deer in general), but sometimes not.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:36 am

, never paid much attention. If Im off or able to, I going hunting regardless of the moon, weather, etc. Mike
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:35 am

I always seem to see better and earlier movement on overhead/underfoot times, but not just with deer, keep your eyes on those turkeys too. ;) I think JoeRE and Ridgerunner7 have both said they see great buck movement during the summer on moon evenings so try and work it into your scouting routine as well. The moon will work better without pressure but I still see them up and about when the pressure is there too, just have to get on top of the bedding when the pressure is up.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:07 am

It's entirely folklore, perception and self-fulfilling prophecies IMHO... There have been many radio collar studies conducted by wildlife biologists and they all show absolutely zero correlation to moon phase, moon times and whitetail movement.

One Example:
https://www.fieldandstream.com/new-rese ... ent#page-2
Another one:
https://www.qdma.com/no-link-moon-phase-rut-peak/
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:18 am

The problem with those studies is we don't use moon phase, just overhead/underfoot times in correlation with am and pm hunts. The one study was about the rut, the other moon phases, so not related to what we are talking about.
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:20 am

I had an interesting experience this year. Shot my first mature buck this year. October 11th at 4:45 in the afternoon. He was 400-500 yards from his bed. It was on the first October cold front in Iowa. The temps that night went below freezing for the first time this fall and the moon was overhead/underfoot as well. A friend of mine also recorded exceptional mature buck movement that day as well. Adam Hays has some very compelling observations on the overhead/underfoot phenomenon.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:58 am

headgear wrote:The problem with those studies is we don't use moon phase, just overhead/underfoot times in correlation with am and pm hunts. The one study was about the rut, the other moon phases, so not related to what we are talking about.

K then... This one deals specifically with overhead/underfoot rise and set times:
https://moonguide.com/wp-content/upload ... -03-01.pdf

conclusion:

Abstract: White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) activity patterns are predominately crepuscular. However, the general populace believes that deer
activity is also influenced by lunar factors. This belief is demonstrated by the countless “solunar charts” claiming to provide peak periods of deer activity.
While research has identified solar and lunar influences on behavioral patterns in some species, descriptions of solunar factors on white-tailed deer are
rare.

We used logistic regression to estimate the odds of activity dependent
on solunar events. Based on our results, on those days furthest from the full or new moon, deer were less likely to be active during moonrise and moonset periods, and more likely to be active during moon overhead and moon underfoot periods. On days with greater proximity to the new or full moon
the probability of activity during moonrise and moonset periods increased from 0.384 (SE=0.005) to 0.564 (SE=0.010) and 0.403 (SE=0.005) to 0.591
(SE=0.011), respectively, while decreasing during moon overhead and moon underfoot periods from 0.540 (SE=0.005) to 0.413 (SE=0.011) and 0.516
(SE=0.005) to 0.305 (SE=0.010), respectively. Our data suggest events identified by solunar charts have some association with deer activity. However,
the relationships between lunar events and lunar phase expressed in solunar charts may be misleading.

Basically, my read is that they're saying that there are other factors at play that are influencing the movement. That's my read anyway.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:10 am

Full moons usually bring the first fall frost so the cold weather may get them moving. But beyond that I'm with theprebanman. I havent seen any correlation.

Deer only move when they feel its safe and that's determined by predation (human and wild) not the moon.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:23 am

I see the moon thing as being applicable to fishing but not hunting whitetails. I've read a study on this very topic and the conclusion was the moon did not affect daytime movement patterns. This coincides with my own observations. Snake oil and whitetail moon calendars are the same to me.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:39 am

The main observation for me is that I see less deer on the evenings with a full moon.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:20 am

I just pay attention to my cats. The moon controls there movement and feeding times pretty much. Full moons and dark moons there feeding times are off and usually mid day.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:22 am

I have paid attention to the major and minor times (moon rise/set, and OH/UF) and do think there is something to it, but I also think it has to coincide with other factors such as cold front, rut, high pressure, high deer density, etc. I have noticed when you can get a few of those things to line up, it can really make a difference.

I didn't have time to pay much attention to it this year and still had a fine season. It's not a huge game changer, just a tool for the toolbox-when the conditions come together.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:28 am

brancher147 wrote:I have paid attention to the major and minor times (moon rise/set, and OH/UF) and do think there is something to it, but I also think it has to coincide with other factors such as cold front, rut, high pressure, high deer density, etc. I have noticed when you can get a few of those things to line up, it can really make a difference.

I agree. The moon has a very obvious effect on fish and other wildlife. During peak times all wildlife is way more active. Never fails when I notice this I check the moon times and it's almost always right within the predicted times. Pretty obvious when the peak time is at noon and I see large groups of deer out feeding at mid-day.

When it comes to mature bucks a very small change to get him out of his bed by only a few minutes earlier can be huge. It's obviously not always 100% but it's the little things like this that add up that we need to pay attention to.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”