Position of stand in tree

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Navy96

Position of stand in tree

Unread postby Navy96 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:07 am

In what position do you all place your stand? Facing the approaching enemy- opposition or facing away using the tree as cover?
Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this!!!

NH Teufelhund

Re: Position of stand in tree

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:22 am

Every time I’ve been facing the deer they pick me off. I’m in NH with low deer density and only 5 years experience so not a ton of data. But about 10 encounters I was facing where I expected them and stayed calm and still but got picked off. One time they can from the side and I harvested a doe, one time they came from the rear and I harvested a buck. That time the buck and doe sort of looked at me but didn’t spook but it was only 4 days into bow season So their guard was down.

Im interested in answers from Beasts and not schmucks like me who get lucky a time or two.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:26 am

I want to be able to see and shoot with minimal movement, so I try to be 90 degrees to the direction of suspected travel. Really the only time I get on the backside of a tree is, if it's a short hunt in a small tree, low to the ground and I'll stand the entire time. Sitting still kills deer. Most people can't sit still, they move and don't even realize it. The more successful experience you get, the more you understand you have to be in position before the shot opportunity comes.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:26 am

I always face the direction of the incoming buck and use the tree behind me to blend in. You can get away with a lot with young bucks, but when mature bucks come in you need to get an arrow in them as soon as possible before they sense you and leave. Once they enter shooting range I take the very 1st good shot I have as they approach. I don't wait for a perfect quartering shot standing still, 1st good kill shot I am confidant in. I can remember several times when tree lean, or shape forced me to hunt back side and I was busted cause I did not see the buck coming and he caught my movement. Staring in the right direction means you see him 1st, and it means your already in position to shoot. No tree is front of you that you need to get your bow to the other side of, no obstruction. I like "in a perfect world" the buck to pass by on my left, but wind and tree cover dictate that often.
Capw12

Unread postby Capw12 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:47 am

Redman232 wrote: Sitting still kills deer. Most people can't sit still, they move and don't even realize it. The more successful experience you get, the more you understand you have to be in position before the shot opportunity comes.

You know I came here thinking my stand placement wasn’t quite right. I’ve tried setting up facing the deer. Tried facing up behind the tree. I’m about to start trying saddle hunting thinking that’ll let me be covered some more. But after reading this. I think this must be my problem more than anything.
Newbie beast. I know nothing.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:04 am

When the deer is coming I stand with my back flat against the tree with nothing sticking out to catch attention. The upper limb of my bow and my cam are used to block my face. I don't move at all till the buck presents a shot.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:19 am

I prefer to sit facing where I think the deer will be coming from. Sometimes it is nerve-wracking to watch them approach, "staring right at you".
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:34 am

Rich M wrote:I prefer to sit facing where I think the deer will be coming from. Sometimes it is nerve-wracking to watch them approach, "staring right at you".

Its even more nerve wracking listening to them approach from behind not being able to see. I remember when I was hunting a high racked 8 pointer that I was sure was going to go thru a little funnel near his bedding area. It was late season a long time ago and I was in the only tree, a huge willow. I was not in a stand but rather standing in a crotch. The way the tree laid out had me facing away from the approach with a huge about 5 foot diameter tree trunk to my back... I could hear ice breaking as a deer approached and I thought this might be him. I very slowly peeked around the tree barely... It was him and he busted that little bit of movement and ran off. A week later another hunter shot that buck a 1/2 mile away...
Capw12

Unread postby Capw12 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:00 am

dan wrote:When the deer is coming I stand with my back flat against the tree with nothing sticking out to catch attention. The upper limb of my bow and my cam are used to block my face. I don't move at all till the buck presents a shot.

Thanks for that info. I’ll try that next time I get to go out. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge dan to those of us without mentors at home. Appreciate it.
Newbie beast. I know nothing.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:16 am

I always position to see the deer coming. I've been busted way to many times from deer coming in behind me. Most of the times I get busted because I will hear a twig break and it's a natural reflex for me to turn my head quickly towards the sound.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:34 am

oldrank wrote:I always position to see the deer coming. I've been busted way to many times from deer coming in behind me.Most of the times I get busted because I will hear a twig break and it's a natural reflex for me to turn my head quickly towards the sound.

This happened to me on the last day of season. A doe and buck came through a direction I was not expecting and she spooked when I slowly leaned maybe 2" around the tree to look at her.

I try to have the deer approaching from 10-2 that way the tree I'm in adds some back cover like Dan said. you can easily watch thier approach with zero movement.

How high are you in the tree? Belive it or not I get busted less hunting lower in the tree because there is more back cover. Getting skylit is often game over even if you dont move.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:37 am

dan wrote:
Rich M wrote:I prefer to sit facing where I think the deer will be coming from. Sometimes it is nerve-wracking to watch them approach, "staring right at you".

Its even more nerve wracking listening to them approach from behind not being able to see. I remember when I was hunting a high racked 8 pointer that I was sure was going to go thru a little funnel near his bedding area. It was late season a long time ago and I was in the only tree, a huge willow. I was not in a stand but rather standing in a crotch. The way the tree laid out had me facing away from the approach with a huge about 5 foot diameter tree trunk to my back... I could hear ice breaking as a deer approached and I thought this might be him. I very slowly peeked around the tree barely... It was him and he busted that little bit of movement and ran off. A week later another hunter shot that buck a 1/2 mile away...

You're right - that would kill me.

I tried sitting facing away on a big bodied buck that was using an old tote road thru some relatively open mature oaks. Had watched him the day before from a stand about 65 yards away. He came thru at 07:15 walking down into the rising thermals into swamp bedding. Figured I would get 20 feet up a tree near the trail, sit facing away for a broadside/quartering away shot where I wouldn't have to move much. 07:15 came and went. 5 or 10 minutes later I had to peak - just broke the plane of the oak tree and he's about 30 yards away looking right up at me - spins and gets out of dodge. Have faced the anticipated approach direction ever since.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:23 pm

Facing away from the anticipated direction of action is a less than 1% occurrence. Only time I’m not facing where I anticipate them coming from is if I feel they’re gonna pick me off before a shot will present itself. Will have to be in a spot I know they can’t get in behind me, 0% chance of coming from the other direction for some odd reason, and conditions be very favorable to hear them approach. Most times I’ll take my chances on a ground setup if that’s a viable option.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:59 pm

Saddle hunting I’m facing the tree using it for cover between me and where I expect deer to come from. All other stands I position myself so my back is to the tree and facing towards where I expect movement so I see deer well in advance to get ready for a shot. The ones that bust me usually come in behind me and catch my movement when I turn around to look for something I heard. It’s amazing how many times I have them come in downwind behind me and never pick up my scent. Hard to set up for that unless your in a saddle.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:57 pm

I face the direction I expect deer to come from, maybe slightly quartering so they’ve a little on my left (I’m right handed). For cover, besides the tree at my back I’m trying to get to the height where I have branches around me and just below my platform if possible. If there’s nothing for cover, I’ll hunt a little higher but rarely more than 16-20 ft.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”