Position of stand in tree

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Position of stand in tree

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:47 am

i hunt from a saddle so im facing the tree looking around. i place one stick 90 degrees too my left so i can move around and shoot too the front of my tree. i try too shoot too my strong side as much as possible. but some times you cant setup that way and have too get creative. sometimes you just need too deal with being uncomfortable in order too be setup for a clean shot. saddle hang on or climber the most important thing is placement and silhouette i definitely think older deer can pick out the shape of tree stands. i always try too setup so im using other trees or brush in my background. i also try too place myself so im not glowing from the sun hunters often forget reflection. cams om your bow shiny bolts ect ect all reflect put your gear in the sun setup like your hunting. walk around you gear and try too find a reflection. i had too paint my bow cams with flat paint just for this reason. even looking at deer with binoculars with the sun in your face can shine and alert experienced deer. placing yourself so you naturally blend in a tree is not always possible when setting up for a bed so being ready for a shot is important i will pic a tree that gives me zero obstructions too my intended shot. also something that is forgotten in picking a tree is ground cover that lets you draw your bow. you can have the best tree in the world but if you cant draw back and shot whats the point.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 am

Facing the expected direction. Too hard to move when you csmt watch them first
Make It Happen
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:49 am

To top it off you get an awful crick in your neck looking over your shoulder for an hour waiting for the deer to pass
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:17 pm

I like facing the direction the deer are coming from regardless of the type of stand. Its also one of the biggest reasons I use a saddle.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:46 pm

I shot a doe this year not 5 minutes after shifting my stand to reduce my silhouette this year. The first group of deer busted me so I made a change. That was the difference in me killing that night and getting busted for the second time.
The deer were coming in a little off from what I expected the too. I’ve learned that I need to make a change if I see or feel something ain’t right
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:00 pm

I usually face direction they are coming from. But, will shoot from back side of tree if need to to have cover. I try to sit when sitted I have cover or limbs or leaves between me and him. But, when I stand I got a good shot from over top of cover. I also do not mind shooting through holes in cover when needed.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:04 pm

[quote="dan"]When the deer is coming I stand with my back flat against the tree with nothing sticking out to catch attention. The upper limb of my bow and my cam are used to block my face. I don't move at all till the buck presents a shot.[/quote]

Dan I tried this approach this year based on what you said in your DVD but I have a question. What if by the time you see the deer it’s too late to stand and back up against the tree? What do you do then? If I’m sitting and they are coming head on of from anything less than a 90 degree angle I’m busted every time!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:36 pm

NH Teufelhund wrote:
dan wrote:When the deer is coming I stand with my back flat against the tree with nothing sticking out to catch attention. The upper limb of my bow and my cam are used to block my face. I don't move at all till the buck presents a shot.

Dan I tried this approach this year based on what you said in your DVD but I have a question. What if by the time you see the deer it’s too late to stand and back up against the tree? What do you do then? If I’m sitting and they are coming head on of from anything less than a 90 degree angle I’m busted every time!

Its not very often I can't get to my feet, but If I can't I don't... It helps to have a high seat. If your but is lower than your knees you make a lot of movement rising. Thinking about it, the most trouble I have had with getting caught sitting is when tree lean of shape forces me to the back side and I don't see the deer coming.

I really take time to pick my trees, most probably have no idea how much I put into that. It has to be set up right for the wind and thermals, and how the thermals are going to change. Once you get past the scent issue, it needs to be in a position that covers any buck that comes thru with good shots available. Generally this narrows it down to one or two trees. Then I pick the spot in the tree that has the best cover. This is why I take 5 sticks on my hunt. I hunt where the cover is. If its 2 sticks up, or 5, I am ready. Often in mature or semi mature woods there is a certain height where the limbs and cover start. I have to do all that, without walking around scenting up the area. I pick my spot from a distance, and then plan the most non-intrusive approach that will make the least noise, the least likely to be seen, and slide in slow...

When I get to the tree, I climb up the backside of the tree facing the area the deer are at using the tree for cover and my eyes to see how high I can get before I will get seen from bedded deer. I slowly reach around the tree and set the stand up on the other side facing the deer unless the tree diameter is to big to do that. Then if tree diameter is to big to step around the last stick is on the side at a point of cover. I set the whole stand up from behind and attach my bow rope. then as slow as possible slide around into the tree.

In pressure situations I need to do this in order to get close enough to shoot mature bucks in daylight. Most have probably seen this, but I will post it for those new here who have not, watch this video of how close I slide in and set up on this buck. Keep in mind, its really the only tree I ca set up in there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD396slTRO4&t=281s
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:26 am

Thanks Dan! Very helpful.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:00 am

EllieTheChubb wrote:
oldrank wrote:I always position to see the deer coming. I've been busted way to many times from deer coming in behind me.Most of the times I get busted because I will hear a twig break and it's a natural reflex for me to turn my head quickly towards the sound.

This happened to me on the last day of season. A doe and buck came through a direction I was not expecting and she spooked when I slowly leaned maybe 2" around the tree to look at her.

Same here. That little peek I made was a day-ender.

Good suggestions too in the other part of your post that I didn’t quote too.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:48 am

dan wrote:When the deer is coming I stand with my back flat against the tree with nothing sticking out to catch attention. The upper limb of my bow and my cam are used to block my face. I don't move at all till the buck presents a shot.

Super helpful!
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 am

dan wrote:I always face the direction of the incoming buck and use the tree behind me to blend in. You can get away with a lot with young bucks, but when mature bucks come in you need to get an arrow in them as soon as possible before they sense you and leave. Once they enter shooting range I take the very 1st good shot I have as they approach. I don't wait for a perfect quartering shot standing still, 1st good kill shot I am confidant in. I can remember several times when tree lean, or shape forced me to hunt back side and I was busted cause I did not see the buck coming and he caught my movement. Staring in the right direction means you see him 1st, and it means your already in position to shoot. No tree is front of you that you need to get your bow to the other side of, no obstruction. I like "in a perfect world" the buck to pass by on my left, but wind and tree cover dictate that often.

Hey Dan, I thought I heard you say in a video that you liked to put the tree in between you and the buck . Is that not the case? Or maybe that was just in one situation? I think it was a marsh hunt, maybe the chasing down a dream one...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:19 am

comeback_kid wrote:
dan wrote:I always face the direction of the incoming buck and use the tree behind me to blend in. You can get away with a lot with young bucks, but when mature bucks come in you need to get an arrow in them as soon as possible before they sense you and leave. Once they enter shooting range I take the very 1st good shot I have as they approach. I don't wait for a perfect quartering shot standing still, 1st good kill shot I am confidant in. I can remember several times when tree lean, or shape forced me to hunt back side and I was busted cause I did not see the buck coming and he caught my movement. Staring in the right direction means you see him 1st, and it means your already in position to shoot. No tree is front of you that you need to get your bow to the other side of, no obstruction. I like "in a perfect world" the buck to pass by on my left, but wind and tree cover dictate that often.

Hey Dan, I thought I heard you say in a video that you liked to put the tree in between you and the buck . Is that not the case? Or maybe that was just in one situation? I think it was a marsh hunt, maybe the chasing down a dream one...

Hmmm... Certainly not the case. Not sure what I said or meant but if it was me it was probably situational, or meant it a different way. There is a tree I hunted in "chasing down a dream" that I was forced to put the stand on backwards that I showed, but I certainly didn't want it that way.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:31 am

dan wrote:
comeback_kid wrote:

Hmmm... Certainly not the case. Not sure what I said or meant but if it was me it was probably situational, or meant it a different way. There is a tree I hunted in "chasing down a dream" that I was forced to put the stand on backwards that I showed, but I certainly didn't want it that way.

I just checked that "hunting down a dream" video, and I am pretty sure thats where you got that from. At about the 34 minute mark I am hunting in a tree where I have to have the stand on backwards and I don't explain that well, but I do show HOW i SIT facing the tree if the stand is on backwards... If you watch that section again knowing my statments here, you will see what I meant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXpXH1yxeB8&t=174s
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:56 am

dan wrote:
dan wrote:
comeback_kid wrote:

I just checked that "hunting down a dream" video, and I am pretty sure thats where you got that from. At about the 34 minute mark I am hunting in a tree where I have to have the stand on backwards and I don't explain that well, but I do show HOW i SIT facing the tree if the stand is on backwards... If you watch that section again knowing my statments here, you will see what I meant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXpXH1yxeB8&t=174s

Ok thanks for the clarification Dan :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”