Mississippi Rut Help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Deep South Slayer

Mississippi Rut Help

Unread postby Deep South Slayer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:43 am

The rut is finally starting to heat up where I hunt in Mississippi. I’m planning on hunting in a couple days with a ENE wind. The area has doe bedding in old field/CRP type areas that are squared off in 5-10 acre sections separated by old overgrown (20-30 yard wide mature timber) fence rows. The total old field/CRP area is about 50 acres. On the south end of this bedding is 15 acres off lush green alfalfa. We had a fairly small acorn dropping this year so I don’t think that’s much of a factor. One fence row splits the CRP from north to south. What do you guys think, hunt the west CRP edge/fence row that transitions to hardwoods with the east wind or hunt the fence row that splits the CRP from north to south? Both lead to the same alfalfa field where the does feed every evening.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Mississippi Rut Help

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:12 pm

First thing is if your weather has been anything like mine this season, I wouldn't look to much into predictions days ahead of time.

I hunt afew places kinda like you described. My findings is each one of these places are unique in there own right and offer a buck something a lil diff in each. For some the layout lets a buck lay back and keep a visual from some distance away. Seen others where the buck will bed inbetween the food and doe's and scent check them as they walk by without having to expose himself. Then others there's always one fence row better than the rest. Just keep your eyes open and really pay attention to what's going on. Then post season really dig into the place looking for the small things that really tie everything together.

My biggest problems are getting in these areas undetected. Live and learn, good luck!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Deep South Slayer

Unread postby Deep South Slayer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks! I think I’m going to hunt the west side to keep my scent contained. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:36 am

Wish you luck. Keep us updated.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”