Binocular Advice...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KPnorthdakota

Binocular Advice...

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:58 am

Okay, I have 20/20 vision and a pair of Vortex 10x42 Diamondbacks.

There have been times this year that I’m observing from a ridge or spur and looking across at another spur where I think a buck may be bedding or looking from a point down to an oxbow on a river. My Vortex binos don’t seem to be getting in close enough for my liking. Sometimes it’s 150 yards away with lots of CRP growth on the oxbow or 300 yards from spur to spur.

So, what would you recommend to a guy that is on a budget?

bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Re: Binocular Advice...

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:27 am

I had kind of the same issue. Great vision and 8s and 10s didnt give me the end result of what I was looking for. I went with 12x50 vortex Diamondbacks to be better able to identify bucks and being able to definitely tell if deer are present when checking known bedding areas
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:40 am

bigbuckhunter88 wrote:I had kind of the same issue. Great vision and 8s and 10s didnt give me the end result of what I was looking for. I went with 12x50 vortex Diamondbacks to be better able to identify bucks and being able to definitely tell if deer are present when checking known bedding areas

So, the 12x50 Diamondbacks worked better for you? I was wondering if 50 would be a big enough jump.

Thanks.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:29 pm

A spotting scope is a good option if you really want to bring things in.
Get the best quality glass you can afford.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Jdw wrote:A spotting scope is a good option if you really want to bring things in.
Get the best quality glass you can afford.

I cannot spend more than $300.

Any suggestions?
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:57 pm

I also got the vortex diamondback 10x42. Got them for Wyoming very clear but I also noticed didnt have the range I expected. My 12 power scope seemed to do a better job.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:05 pm

JAK wrote:I also got the vortex diamondback 10x42. Got them for Wyoming very clear but I also noticed didnt have the range I expected. My 12 power scope seemed to do a better job.

Yep. They are very clear and easy to work, but just are not getting the distance I was expecting.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:42 pm

The 12s do what I want them to. Anything more and they get too shaky, but anything less and I couldn't accomplish exactly what I wanted.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:46 pm

I have the Vortex 10x42 as well and like them alot. The issue is if you go more magnification then you are going bigger which is more weight/bulk to carry. I would look at going to a compact spotting scope/tripod setup. I don't have any suggestions as my spotting scope was an elcheapo. It works but I wouldn't recommend it. WIth a spotting scope you can really zoom in.

Are you looking for a hunting setup or just for scouting purposes?
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:21 pm

cspot wrote:I have the Vortex 10x42 as well and like them alot. The issue is if you go more magnification then you are going bigger which is more weight/bulk to carry. I would look at going to a compact spotting scope/tripod setup. I don't have any suggestions as my spotting scope was an elcheapo. It works but I wouldn't recommend it. WIth a spotting scope you can really zoom in.

Just for scouting. I’ve got a lot of ridges and I’ve started looking from a non-leeward side to watch a leeward side. My Vortex 10x42 are not doing it.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:33 pm

KPnorthdakota wrote:
cspot wrote:I have the Vortex 10x42 as well and like them alot. The issue is if you go more magnification then you are going bigger which is more weight/bulk to carry. I would look at going to a compact spotting scope/tripod setup. I don't have any suggestions as my spotting scope was an elcheapo. It works but I wouldn't recommend it. WIth a spotting scope you can really zoom in.

Just for scouting. I’ve got a lot of ridges and I’ve started looking from a non-leeward side to watch a leeward side. My Vortex 10x42 are not doing it.

For scouting I would definitely get a spotting scope/tripod setup for what you are wanting to do.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Those 8x42 or 10x42 Vortex Diamondbacks are hard to beat for the $ and the warranty. Here in the midwest, those 8 power are plenty for most applications. If your magnification goes above 10, you will have a lot of trouble with image stabilization without a bipod or rest. I read someplace years ago that anything above 7 power is hard to hold steady. I would agree.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:26 pm

hambone wrote:Those 8x42 or 10x42 Vortex Diamondbacks are hard to beat for the $ and the warranty. Here in the midwest, those 8 power are plenty for most applications. If your magnification goes above 10, you will have a lot of trouble with image stabilization without a bipod or rest. I read someplace years ago that anything above 7 power is hard to hold steady. I would agree.

They’re a good pair of binoculars, but they’re not giving me the detail I want at the distances I’m looking. I’ve got to either go bigger or more expensive. And, I’m not rich. :D
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:32 pm

I am planning a pronghorn hunting trip and I was wondering if I needed a spotting scope. Everything I’m seeing is to get a tripod for your binos and you’ll do much better. That’s my current plan. Hard for me to justify $900+ on a spotting scope. If the tripod doesn’t work for you, I’m thinking a spotting scope is your only remaining option....but I’ve heard to save your money and buy a GOOD one or not at all.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:53 pm

get the adapter and a pan head tripod you be surprised how much better your current glass works when they are full steady. reason i say a pan head and not a ball head is you can grid with it better. just pic every grid parallel then move vertical and go again.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”