Binocular Advice...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

corndawg765

Re: Binocular Advice...

Unread postby corndawg765 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:39 am

When it comes to glass, you get what you pay for, no shortcuts. I'm planning for some big game hunting out west so I'm putting in some redneck equity in my gear, and liquidating some stuff I no longer use. I would also suggest a spotting scope if you're wanting to glass over 1000 yards. Just my two pennies.

KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:19 am

Lots of good advice. Thanks everyone.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:32 am

KPnorthdakota wrote:Okay, I have 20/20 vision and a pair of Vortex 10x42 Diamondbacks.

There have been times this year that I’m observing from a ridge or spur and looking across at another spur where I think a buck may be bedding or looking from a point down to an oxbow on a river. My Vortex binos don’t seem to be getting in close enough for my liking. Sometimes it’s 150 yards away with lots of CRP growth on the oxbow or 300 yards from spur to spur.

So, what would you recommend to a guy that is on a budget?

I'm also a guy on a budget but when it comes to hunting people always told me stuff like "by once, cry once", "you get what you paid for"etc etc. As far as glass goes, that's definitely the truth. My first pair of binos were a cheap pair of pursuit 8x40s. Had a friend who has some Leupolds and another with Vortex and was able clearly see the difference. Although both are great brands decided to go with Vortex. Had to rathole money for a while until I was able to afford the ViperHDs 10x42s. They worked great in every instance I can remember. Have been able to glass deer from ridge to ridge across a 300+yd valley. I know they're not cheap but if you feel the ones you have now are subparr for what you're looking for, I'd suggest saving up until you have enough to buy what you're looking for, even if it takes you a couple/few years. That's what I did to get my binos and range finder. But like it was mentioned before, get a tripod for your binos first as they are a game changer.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:46 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
KPnorthdakota wrote:Okay, I have 20/20 vision and a pair of Vortex 10x42 Diamondbacks.

There have been times this year that I’m observing from a ridge or spur and looking across at another spur where I think a buck may be bedding or looking from a point down to an oxbow on a river. My Vortex binos don’t seem to be getting in close enough for my liking. Sometimes it’s 150 yards away with lots of CRP growth on the oxbow or 300 yards from spur to spur.

So, what would you recommend to a guy that is on a budget?

I'm also a guy on a budget but when it comes to hunting people always told me stuff like "by once, cry once", "you get what you paid for"etc etc. As far as glass goes, that's definitely the truth. My first pair of binos were a cheap pair of pursuit 8x40s. Had a friend who has some Leupolds and another with Vortex and was able clearly see the difference. Although both are great brands decided to go with Vortex. Had to rathole money for a while until I was able to afford the ViperHDs 10x42s. They worked great in every instance I can remember. Have been able to glass deer from ridge to ridge across a 300+yd valley. I know they're not cheap but if you feel the ones you have now are subparr for what you're looking for, I'd suggest saving up until you have enough to buy what you're looking for, even if it takes you a couple/few years. That's what I did to get my binos and range finder. But like it was mentioned before, get a tripod for your binos first as they are a game changer.

Yep, I’m going to find the right pair for what I’m doing and then save up. I love my Vortex 10x42 Diamondbacks but they’re just not doing what I want them to do.
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:44 am

Glassing 150 to 300 yds is pretty close the 10s should be fine for that. If your wanting to just focus in on small detail and pick apart brush a spotter may be better suited. I prefer to have both with me when glassing. Good glass is worth the price imo. With my 15s I'm glassing up to 3 miles away at times. I put a stalk on a 170 in muley last year that I spotted standing his bed in oak brush at 2.5 miles away.

As far as glass goes vortex is middle of the pack even the razor line isnt what I would call good. I have a viper 10x42 and razor 16-48 x65. My 15x56 meopta blow em away but that's also made with much higher quality Flouride glass. You need to look at a lot of factors when choosing what will fit your needs and understand what glass is used in what your looking at. You can check out the fov listed for each bino too they vary even for the same magnification. You can find awesome deals if you look around I got my razor spotter half off and my meopta 15s which retail for 1600 for 500. With good fluoride glass you can see much better detail especially at longer ranges. Buy the best you can afford if that's 300 or 2000. The higher end stuff will have much better edge clarity as well.

I would also mount your binos on a tripod and get decent pan head. I have a Sirui tripod with benro s2 head with the outdoorsmans bino quick attachment. Your prob looking at 150 to 200 just for budget tripod and pan head
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:44 pm

First Sit wrote:Glassing 150 to 300 yds is pretty close the 10s should be fine for that. If your wanting to just focus in on small detail and pick apart brush a spotter may be better suited. I prefer to have both with me when glassing. Good glass is worth the price imo. With my 15s I'm glassing up to 3 miles away at times. I put a stalk on a 170 in muley last year that I spotted standing his bed in oak brush at 2.5 miles away.

As far as glass goes vortex is middle of the pack even the razor line isnt what I would call good. I have a viper 10x42 and razor 16-48 x65. My 15x56 meopta blow em away but that's also made with much higher quality Flouride glass. You need to look at a lot of factors when choosing what will fit your needs and understand what glass is used in what your looking at. You can check out the fov listed for each bino too they vary even for the same magnification. You can find awesome deals if you look around I got my razor spotter half off and my meopta 15s which retail for 1600 for 500. With good fluoride glass you can see much better detail especially at longer ranges. Buy the best you can afford if that's 300 or 2000. The higher end stuff will have much better edge clarity as well.

I would also mount your binos on a tripod and get decent pan head. I have a Sirui tripod with benro s2 head with the outdoorsmans bino quick attachment. Your prob looking at 150 to 200 just for budget tripod and pan head

Wow. Lots of good info. Thanks.

Maybe my first investment will be the adapter and pan head tripod. I will, also, definitely need to look for deals, but I’m going to get a really good pair next.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”