What's your hail Mary?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

treeroot
500 Club

Re: What's your hail Mary?

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:39 pm

To play the devil's advocate: If the season is winding down, obviously what you've done all year hasn't worked. (That doesn't mean your not confident in your hunting style or your style isn't good) Have you ever been successful trying something out of your normal style? I know I'm asking how do you get more aggressive when you already hunt aggressively.

Maybe it's the one time you'll do a drive like was mentioned. Or drag a decoy through the marsh. Use more calls? Wind bump? Bump and dump? Go to some new property? Still hunt more? Ghilli suite?

Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:44 pm

oldrank wrote:I focus on 3 things in December. Food, doe fawns and cover. When I find that combo I find bucks.

In my opinion hunting improves in December. You may be picking through the leftovers in a way but there are a ton of things that tip the advantages towards the hunter

Cover becomes sparce. On top of all the leaves being gone alot of bedding gets matted down from snow fall, hunters and wind.

Food is more concentrated.

In the years I still had tags left in December I usually see good chasing action involving doe fawns. This is a major key. Doe fawns are still pretty dumb. They move to food earlier than mature deer. If one goes into heat she can get a pressured buck off his feet early.

This plus hunt the food sources on bitter cold evenings. The colder the better. Gets em moving earlier.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:01 am

My season ends with a firearm and usually snow. Reading the tracks tells me whats going on in the area. I might sit in a hotspot, buy really my favorite is walking up to deer and shooting them.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”