peeing in a mock scrape???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
upstateNYhunter518
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ryan.hampton.75

Re: peeing in a mock scrape???

Unread postby upstateNYhunter518 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:44 am

Thanks guys for the feedback! If anything, I think I feel a bit more at ease about peeing in the field if I need to.

I might experiment a little and setup a camera and see what happens. Ill lets you guys know what I come up with, if anything! :idea:

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:18 am

upstateNYhunter518 wrote:Thanks guys for the feedback! If anything, I think I feel a bit more at ease about peeing in the field if I need to.

I might experiment a little and setup a camera and see what happens. Ill lets you guys know what I come up with, if anything! :idea:

Just make sure your not facing the camera when you pee in the scrape. :lol:
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:34 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Urine breaks down pretty fast that deer can't tell if it came from a person or another deer. Your human scent being in the area is a different problem. Gotta pee while in your stand, let it fly. It won't hurt a thing.

Question...How would one go about peeing in a scrape without leaving your scent in the area? I was under the impression that if deer caught wind of a human they would bolt and/or avoid an area. What comes to mind is when people say that checking a trail cam will make deer avoid it since your scent is there. Or that if you go on a game trail, they will not use it for the same reason. Obviously deer get used to smells and ppl in certain areas like parks and suburban areas, but what makes a scrape more tolerable to human scent of you pee in vs not? Or does the urine residue last longer than human scent?
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:38 am

They will smell your scent in the area but deer arent so concerned about human scent in places they go at night. With a few exceptions scrapes are hit at night.

I never hunt over scrapes but a camera set there will give you a good buck inventory. It can also show you direction of travel which I have used to track them back to bedding.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:08 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:Urine breaks down pretty fast that deer can't tell if it came from a person or another deer. Your human scent being in the area is a different problem. Gotta pee while in your stand, let it fly. It won't hurt a thing.

Question...How would one go about peeing in a scrape without leaving your scent in the area? I was under the impression that if deer caught wind of a human they would bolt and/or avoid an area. What comes to mind is when people say that checking a trail cam will make deer avoid it since your scent is there. Or that if you go on a game trail, they will not use it for the same reason. Obviously deer get used to smells and ppl in certain areas like parks and suburban areas, but what makes a scrape more tolerable to human scent of you pee in vs not? Or does the urine residue last longer than human scent?

You can't without leaving your scent. Don't do it in areas you hunt but in areas you can get away with it. Inventory purposes. All deer are different. Some will leave some won't. A fake scrape being tolerable is location. Bedding area is a no to me. Just inside a field edge or on it isn't so alarming to some deer.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:07 pm

I made a mock scrape early November and peed in it. Had a 2 year old 6 point come in to investigate the very next morning. He wasn't too interested nor was he alarmed. He didn't work the scrape either. He definitely saw the scrape, which brought him in.
HoosierBowman2425

Unread postby HoosierBowman2425 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:20 am

I was watching a video posted just recently on youtube from another page I subscribe to on there and the guy seemed pretty knowledgeable about this topic. He said that researcher have concluded that all urine turns to ammonia 20 minutes after being excreted. He did mention a few other things on the topic that I cant remember at the moment. I'll check my youtube page and post the name of the video.
On the other hand I have witnessed a good friend of mine open two nock scrapes and take a leak in both of them 3 years ago. And this season both of those scrapes were tore to shreds along with 3 other scrapes within 50 yards of the two mocks.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:04 am

I peed in an actual scrape just before the rut. When I returned 2 days later the saplings next to the scrape were driven into the ground, and not a lick of bark left on them! Someone was a little upset I freshened his scrape :think:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:59 am

Don't know how many folks realize this but a deer takes a leek pretty dead gum often. So u figure in even a small below avg herd, do u have any idea how much urine gets dumped on the ground daily? Then throw all the other critters into the mix, if u believe your urine is the calling card well so is every other critter. This is the precise reason store baught scent does not work, it's simply urine which is behind every bush in any block of timber. Believe what u want, but I suggest u find what kind of trees bucks in your area prefer to scrape under and kick back some dirt and see what happens. If u are bound and determined to throw your money away or believe your pee smells diff than every other critter or hunter who drains it in the woods I have a great investment opportunity for you but u must act fast!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:23 pm

here arer 2 pics of the same mock scrape that I created on September 2 2016 outside of a known bedding area. Got my first pic of bucks on Sept. 4 and they kept coming by to check through the season, last pic is Dec 22.

I hung a piece of grape vine over an old logging road with a rope, cleared the ground with my foot and took a leak in it. 2 days later a buck came in and then it took off like wild fire. It did not get reopened in 2017 but I also did not open up the scrape but the grapevine was still there.

Do I pee in scrapes? Every chance I get...Do I start scrapes with my own urine? You bet.
tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Want to expand on my last post.. I am not saying that the deer were coming into my urine however they did not spook from my urine.. After I first doctored up the scrape with my pee the bucks then took over the scrape. This scrape was a perfect location and that is the reason that it was so hot.

I went back over my notes and they show that I checked the camera 3 times from Sept to end of December. Which was a lot but I only checked camera when it was raining..

I like the grapevine idea, which is not mine, but it works better then I ever expected. Clear the ground under it, but main point for me is LOCATION.
Burroak47

Unread postby Burroak47 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:55 am

Yeah it works, they don't seem to mind, i have alot of vids of bucks working a scrape i peed in.Not sure how to post vids.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:18 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:I peed in an actual scrape just before the rut. When I returned 2 days later the saplings next to the scrape were driven into the ground, and not a lick of bark left on them! Someone was a little upset I freshened his scrape :think:

I've experienced the same.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Guess my question is to anyone who opens a scrape and peed in it and claims it the cats meow. have u ever tried it without doing squat other than kicking back the dirt? I Once thought gel scent was the bees knees until I did the exact samething without jack squat. Sometimes we reach conclusions for the wrong reasons IMO. Same thing with scent control, a man drops some serious coin on a Harry Houdini magic suit and sees a deer downwind and says to himself yes sir deff worth it. Meanwhile a guy wearing some sweat starched clothes hes worn everyday for the past month unwashed gets the same results. Sometimes we just see what we want to.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:21 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Guess my question is to anyone who opens a scrape and peed in it and claims it the cats meow. have u ever tried it without doing squat other than kicking back the dirt? I Once thought gel scent was the bees knees until I did the exact samething without jack squat. Sometimes we reach conclusions for the wrong reasons IMO. Same thing with scent control, a man drops some serious coin on a Harry Houdini magic suit and sees a deer downwind and says to himself yes sir deff worth it. Meanwhile a guy wearing some sweat starched clothes hes worn everyday for the past month unwashed gets the same results. Sometimes we just see what we want to.

No but EVERYTIME I kick up some dirt and lick that branch I have to pee, not sure what it is about that branch :lol:

Sometimes I can't get my zipper down fast enough :oops:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”