Mobile hunting Saddle vs. Stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Mobile hunting Saddle vs. Stand

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:30 am

gillyfi wrote:How do climb a tree with branches? Being as you are connected from the bottom to the top with the saddle.

Using an extra lineman’s belt. bowhunter 15 has a good video on you tube. There are others as well.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:47 am

gillyfi wrote:How do climb a tree with branches? Being as you are connected from the bottom to the top with the saddle.

I carry two tethers, both identical. If the tree has limbs I'll hook both up before the climb and just keep hopping them over limbs as I go. Pretty easy and safe. When I get to the top the second one becomes my tether so I'm not carry any extra gear.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:56 am

I have used a seperate lineman rope or even just use my bridge since it’s right there and not being used till I get up in the tree anyway. You dont even have to go around the tree since you can just attach it around the climbing stick right in front of you. I like to loop it over the top step and above the top tree bracket. Hook in, move your original lineman belt above the branch then remove your bridge looped over the stick until the next obstacle or when needed to hook into your tether at climbing height. Best part is you don’t need to take any other ropes or straps.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:04 am

Dumb question... Do you find you get busted on movement any more or less using a saddle?

I’m pretty sure I would look like an orangutan swinging from a tree and it’s difficult to imagine not getting busted. :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:15 am

greenhorndave wrote:Dumb question... Do you find you get busted on movement any more or less using a saddle?

I’m pretty sure I would look like an orangutan swinging from a tree and it’s difficult to imagine not getting busted. :lol:

its actually the opposite you look more natural like your just a crotch in a tree or something. and you can always just hide behind the tree as deer walk buy.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:57 am

They lost me when they started using "platforms" AKA half of a hang on stand that they are supposed to be replacing. :whistle:
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:03 am

crankn101 wrote:They lost me when they started using "platforms" AKA half of a hang on stand that they are supposed to be replacing. :whistle:

I don’t use a platform, but comparing a Tethrd predator and a Lone Wolf Assasin... they are two ENTIRELY different things as far as weight and ergonomics. A saddle with platform still FAR outperforms a mobile stand. The dang thing fits inside a small backpack.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:03 am

Dewey wrote:

I have used a seperate lineman rope or even just use my bridge since it’s right there and not being used till I get up in the tree anyway. You dont even have to go around the tree since you can just attach it around the climbing stick right in front of you. I like to loop it over the top step and above the top tree bracket. Hook in, move your original lineman belt above the branch then remove your bridge looped over the stick until the next obstacle or when needed to hook into your tether at climbing height. Best part is you don’t need to take any other ropes or straps.

Man how didn’t I think of that. I would just hook up my tether as a lineman’s belt but yeah this is way easier.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Dumb question... Do you find you get busted on movement any more or less using a saddle?

its actually the opposite you look more natural like your just a crotch in a tree or something. and you can always just hide behind the tree as deer walk buy.

I’ve often been told I look like a crotch in a tree. :D

Thanks. That does make some sense. Less wart-like than a stand.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:14 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

I’ve often been told I look like a crotch in a tree. :D

Thanks. That does make some sense. Less wart-like than a stand.

just lean back with two branches in your hands and dont move :lol:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:23 pm

EllieTheChubb wrote:
Truth From The Stand wrote:I started saddle hunting this year. I shot out of it 2 or 3 times before hunting out of it and killed from it in early Oct. I didn't think the learning curve was that steep..few climbs and you're good to go. I prefer to hunt out of my saddle to a stand now,. Only used my LW a handful of times this year. a few hunts before my saddle came and a pre hung set during the rut.

There are a pile of advantages, most mentioned in this thread. I did a podcast all about saddle hunting. Kinda a saddle hunting 101. You may find some good info in it.

Here's the link: http://truthfromthestand.com/deer-hunti ... g-godfrey/

Also be sure to check out saddlehunter.com ...great resource and some DIY methods to consider as well. Hope this info helps!

Just listend to your latest saddle podcasts with Greg from tethrd and Taylor Chamberlin, seems like you're 100% now. Great podcasts!

I was originally planning to do a sit drag DIY saddle just because of the $150 price difference over the mantis but you have me giving it a second thought.

For the folks out there who started out with a sit drag and upgraded to the mantis what are your thoughts?
Well worth the price tag?

And also, to those of you who upgraded from a sit drag... SELL ME YOUR OLD SITDRAG PLEASE!!!! PM me!! :pray:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:33 pm

The mantis by itself is well worth the price, and I still use my tree stand. You won’t be disappointed in it. I wish I had some extra money laying around to buy a back up in case something happens to mine. I love it
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:47 pm

How would you compare the learning curve of a saddle to a hang-on?
----------
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Jonny wrote:The mantis by itself is well worth the price, and I still use my tree stand. You won’t be disappointed in it. I wish I had some extra money laying around to buy a back up in case something happens to mine. I love it

When using a stand don’t the platform cables get in your way when moving around the tree in your saddle?

I guess if I went thru the trouble hauling a stand in I’m just sitting on the stand. :think:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:50 am

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:The mantis by itself is well worth the price, and I still use my tree stand. You won’t be disappointed in it. I wish I had some extra money laying around to buy a back up in case something happens to mine. I love it

When using a stand don’t the platform cables get in your way when moving around the tree in your saddle?

I guess if I went thru the trouble hauling a stand in I’m just sitting on the stand. :think:

Yes and no. It’s an extra thing to keep in mind but I just swing a foot around and put it on my top stick for a brace to shoot behind the tree. It’s way easier to shoot on the weak side since you can stand straight. It’s more for comfort than anything else. I can hang in the saddle all day. I can’t sit on my but for even an hour. Plus it helps shooting since you have that extra contact and brace with the tree.

The way I look at my set up, is yeah it sucks to carry a stand around, but I don’t have really any way to get my sticks and a platform into the woods without spending more money on a pack. But for me, the set up is the best I have found for comfort, versatility, and mobility. Doesn’t matter what side of the tree I set up on since I can shoot 360, as long as I put the top of my stick at a reasonable height in relation to the stand.

I’m still hoping tethrd comes out with a predator xl. The new assassin just doesn’t seem like it’s worth the weight savings or price tag. My assault might only be 5lbs more for a ton of extra platform space, and I don’t need a pack. So the weight savings isn’t that big. Same with when dans stand comes out. The weight savings isn’t really there. The saddle definitely packs up better and is more compact. But for some reason, this works great for me.

Plus I always hated the traditional harnesses, and I didn’t like having to modify a rock climbing harness for the lineman’s belt attachment. So a saddle gave me everything I wanted in a harness. Just cost a bit more, which doesn’t matter when I have no plans to upgrade or switch anymore.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”