Mobile hunting Saddle vs. Stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

Re: Mobile hunting Saddle vs. Stand

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:14 am

You can take a pullover on/off in the saddle. I was in the middle of changing out of some cold weather gear for my walk out, when I should have been paying attention, and had a doe come by while I had my sweater/shirt 1/2 off. I ended up shooting under her, but yes, you can change gear out in a saddle.

I'm still working on the transition from LW hang on to the saddle. so far I really like it. I did my 1st sit with a sit drag/rc combo, that was very comfortable. I didn't have my platform yet, so that one was with the LW stand as a platform. the next couple of sits where in a Mantis, with my LW sticks as a ring of steps (used 3) more uncomfortable, and the last sit was with a predator platform, which worked pretty good. I still need to work on getting used to it, but from what I understand, its all about tether placement, saddle position (height - above/below your waist belt line) and bridge length. ONce dialed in, it should be good. It is nice to take 2 sticks, and aider, and saddle. Much lighter walking in.

EllieTheChubb wrote:Thanks for all the great responses!
It answers alot of questions and gives me alot more to think about.

As far as hot/cold shifts during a sit can you take off a pullover in the tree? It seems like you could since everythings from the waist.

Is it really awkward shooting weak side? It dosent seem like there's any more movement than turning on a platform but having the tree behind your shoulder just seems unstable.

strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:57 am

Are any of you guys using the beast sticks as your platform? Do you find the platform is essential? Does anyone potentially have a pic of what their setup then looks like in the tree?
FrigidArrows77

Unread postby FrigidArrows77 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:07 am

IMO, and from what I experienced, a platform for saddle hunting is by far the best option. I have tried a few different things from, sticks, to silenced W/E steps, and now to using my own fabricated platform.

Honestly the only disadvantage I think someone could say about a platform is pack ability versus steps/screw ins as your base, which isn't much of an argument. Platforms are pretty small, and easy to pack. Depending on what you get, they may very well be lighter then what steps would be too. Also cost as you suggested, but the cost is WELL worth it!

The advantages far out weigh anything IMO.
-Comfort- there is NO solution that is more comfortable than a platform when saddle hunting. Having a larger base to pivot or lean against is a savior on your feet, and overall comfort. Standing on steps or pegs for hours on end will take its toll on the souls of your feet. I will also stand completely up if need be, as if the platform is a hang on.
-Easy Set-Up- I started with W/E Stepps, with the assumption they are more mobile and easy to pack. After about a half dozen sits, I decided to try a platform instead. The Stepps did work, but took awhile to set up. Figuring out correct spacing, rope heights, and tree positions usually meant a few attempts at 3 different steps. It took me just as long to set up my hunting base as it did to climb the entire tree. With my new platform, its one strap, cam, DONE! talking 10 seconds.
-Trick Shots- A saddle is pretty versatile when it comes to shooting every angle of the tree. However, there is one angle that is more difficult then others. For me, being a right-handed shooter, its the 1-3 o'clock. It can be done, but it takes some maneuvering. What I have found to work best for me, is to shorten the tree tether, pull myself up onto the platform, and treat it as I am standing on a hang on. I can now pivot 180 degrees, putting the tree to my back, keeping the saddle bridge and tether under my bow arm. My weak side, is now my hang on strong side.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by FrigidArrows77 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:19 am

Aaron1987 wrote:This was our first year hunting with a saddle and it was slick. We’ve used most of the new models and the Tethrd Mantis is my favorite. I did however shoot all my deer this fall out of hang ons, probably just by happenstance.

I’ve been taking the stand and 4 Beast sticks when hunting locations close to access. Anytime we go deep, the saddles come out. If you take two Beast sticks with aiders, the Tethrd platform and saddle, your talking almost nothing to throw in pack and haul 2 Miles deep.

Love the direction industry is going with mobile hunting. Saddles are here to stay but a super light hang-on is still useful at times also.

Teddy was at least wearing the saddle when he shot that good 'ern from the ground in MO though! I'd agree there is still a time and place for a hang on, i hunted 45+ sits from my saddle this year, but shooting to the weak side(3 o'clock for a RH shooter) is still really tricky- that is way easier in a stand
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:25 am

Truth From The Stand wrote:There are a pile of advantages, most mentioned in this thread. I did a podcast all about saddle hunting. Kinda a saddle hunting 101. You may find some good info in it.

Here's the link: http://truthfromthestand.com/deer-hunti ... g-godfrey/

Also be sure to check out saddlehunter.com ...great resource and some DIY methods to consider as well. Hope this info helps!

Great podcast apreciate the link!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 pm

I had some questions about the saddle:

1) so your gear such as binos, calls, rangefinders, horns, etc I guess it all hangs from a hook or something similar?

2) can you use a saddle in smaller diameter trees than a hang on, same size as a hang on or can a hang on go on smaller trees?

3) is it as easy to pull your bow back in a saddle? It seems like you’d be using less of your back and more of your arms on the draw.

4) what differences do you see when a deer surprises you...deer walk up and you didn’t see it or see them approaching. Did you like the saddle better in this situation or hang on?

Thanks
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:20 pm

strehb18 wrote:Are any of you guys using the beast sticks as your platform? Do you find the platform is essential? Does anyone potentially have a pic of what their setup then looks like in the tree?

I did a sit using 2 beast sticks as my platform. It worked but it was harder to maneuver around and rough on my feet. The predator platform is much nicer.

It is tough to beat a Mantis, Predator platform, and Beast sticks with aiders.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:33 pm

strehb18 wrote:Are any of you guys using the beast sticks as your platform? Do you find the platform is essential? Does anyone potentially have a pic of what their setup then looks like in the tree?

I use two sticks when I have the extra, or 1-2 rope steps when I don't. 360 degrees works like a charm. Never had a need for anything more.
Buckshot1822

Unread postby Buckshot1822 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:45 pm

mheichelbech wrote:I had some questions about the saddle:

1) so your gear such as binos, calls, rangefinders, horns, etc I guess it all hangs from a hook or something similar?

2) can you use a saddle in smaller diameter trees than a hang on, same size as a hang on or can a hang on go on smaller trees?

3) is it as easy to pull your bow back in a saddle? It seems like you’d be using less of your back and more of your arms on the draw.

4) what differences do you see when a deer surprises you...deer walk up and you didn’t see it or see them approaching. Did you like the saddle better in this situation or hang on?

Thanks

I have been saddle hunting on an off for quite a while. I also use stands though on some applications. As far as your questions.

1. Most guys use a strap with hooks to hang all of their gear/pack/bow on.

2. I have saddle hunted out of 4" trees. Treed that small aren't really ideal, but it can be done.

3. I don't think there is much difference.

4. Being behind the tree really helps a lot in this situation.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:52 pm

On the 2 sits I did with the LW sticks as my steps/platform, my feet did hurt some later. I used 3 sticks, one on each side of my top step. Worked ok, but not ideal. The platform is much nicer. Though I need some work on the shots to my week side. As for deer walking in on you, I had a spike on the opener come from 60yds to the base of my tree and never picked me off, the tree was between us. It was a 15-18” dia. Tree. In nov. I had a buck and doe come behind me, they caught a whiff of me, but only took 2 jumps, then walked off. I was able to turn , but need some practice shooting in that direction. I’ve sat in some small trees with my LW, 3-4” dia. I’m sure the saddle would work as well, but you might need to adjust some things. Haven’t tried it on the small trees yet.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:24 pm

mheichelbech wrote:I had some questions about the saddle:

I use a strap on the tree that has hooks on it for hanging my bow and quiver. Everything else is in my pockets except my binoculars that I'm wearing with a shoulder harness.

Yes, you can hunt smaller trees with a saddle compared to a hang on stand. As long as it supports you it will work but I prefer at least thigh diameter.

Drawing back your bow in a saddle is just as easy to do as it is on stand or even on the ground. No problems there whatsoever.

To me the biggest advantage with a saddle is you can keep the tree between you and the deer. As they move around you can slowly and silently pivot around the tree until ready to shoot.

Thanks
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:44 pm

mag1 wrote:You can take a pullover on/off in the saddle. I was in the middle of changing out of some cold weather gear for my walk out, when I should have been paying attention, and had a doe come by while I had my sweater/shirt 1/2 off. I ended up shooting under her, but yes, you can change gear out in a saddle.

I think you’re responding to PreBan Man’s point on cold weather clothes? I found you can add top layers but bottoms are about impossible to change from a saddle. I use the sit/drag though but still, I can’t see it being easier from a brand name saddle
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:20 pm

I’ve gone 100% saddle but I totally understand guys that stand hunt.

Saddle pros
1. Packability
2. So light
3. Always strapped to the tree so I feel very safe.
4. No metal, no noise
Saddle Cons
1. Not as comfortable in my opinion

Makes the long walks in so much easier and that is the main reason I use it. I use 6 wild edge steps with an aider and can get to 18-20 feet and almost always have an extra to hang gear on. I also use the wild edge steps as my platform. Can’t get as high with limbless trees as I use every branch or nob as a step.

Stand Pros
1. Way more comfortable to sit in, in my opinion.
2. I actually like not having the tree in front of me.
3. I prefer shooting out of a tree stand

Cons
1. Way more heavy no matter how light your stand is.
2. More bulky to carry in, so it grabs on more branches and what not causing more noise
3. More noise, can be limited but hard to totally eliminate it.

This is my opinion, a lot of saddle guys will swear they are more comfortable, I have owned 2 different saddles and not matter what I do they are not as comfortable. Comfort is not very high on my list as stands are not that comfortable to me either. The lightness and packability are the most important factor for me. My bag, saddle, cloths and wild edge steps are total less then 10 pounds. Most of that is the wild edge steps. With a stand I would be up to 15 or more pounds.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:24 pm

I’ve hunted 100% from a saddle since 2007. Safety, packability, and versatility are going to beat any tree stand hands down. I’m currently using a fleece hammock style saddle with a RC harness for safety. I have less than $100 in my entire setup.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Something you won't hear many guys say about saddles is how easy they are to fidget and move around TOO much in.

I've dabbled in and out of saddles for almost 15 years and keep going back to my hang-ons every time.

I just find that I can stay a lot more still in a stand compared to a saddle. Different strokes for different folks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”