Mobile hunting Saddle vs. Stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbowers

Re: Mobile hunting Saddle vs. Stand

Unread postby tbowers » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:53 am

Ack wrote:Something you won't hear many guys say about saddles is how easy they are to fidget and move around TOO much in.

I've dabbled in and out of saddles for almost 15 years and keep going back to my hang-ons every time.

I just find that I can stay a lot more still in a stand compared to a saddle. Different strokes for different folks.

i would agree with this, i find my self swaying slightly side to side in the saddle without really thinking about it.

EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:28 am

Greg godfrey of G2 outdoors and now Tethrd mentioned that he finds himself swaying from time to time... Just because its comfortable or fun or something. I cant remember exactly.

Something to consider for sure
Buckshot1822

Unread postby Buckshot1822 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:48 am

Ack wrote:Something you won't hear many guys say about saddles is how easy they are to fidget and move around TOO much in.

I've dabbled in and out of saddles for almost 15 years and keep going back to my hang-ons every time.

I just find that I can stay a lot more still in a stand compared to a saddle. Different strokes for different folks.

I find that it doesn't matter what stand or saddle I'm in I will fidget some. I just cant sit statue still. The one difference with a saddle though is, generally you have quite a bit of cover being behind the tree.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:39 am

Well here is my take... I have been saddle hunting for 9 years now. When I started it was hard... only saddle available was used trophylines.. which suck compared to todays saddles... I started because I wanted that ability to hunt high and feel safe.. with a saddle you are never detached from the tree. I will say it takes a while to get used to it.. dont give up. I went through 2 or 3 seasons before I got really comfortable. That was back then though, now theres a lot more info and support and the saddles are way way better! It shouldnt take more than a season. Everyone is different, you cant go by what works for another person. Saddle hunting is like breaking in a new pair of shoes.. they hurt at first but after your but is broken in theres no better way. For me the benefits are
1. I can fit my saddle in my cargo pocket along with my climbing system.. everything under like 5 lbs..
2. I can climb just about any tree, even on a severe lean
3. and the biggest by far... I can hide behind the tree when I see deer, they dont even know I am there.. there are no un natural lines like what you have in a hang on.. walk through the woods.. look around, your eyes will pick right up on horizontal lines because they are out of place. Imagine a deer looking at the horizontal line of a lock on, he will pick right up on it. In a saddle you look like another limb... lol.
4. I can shoot 360 degrees with ease...
5. Shot stability... believe it or not you will shoot better from a saddle because your legs and but are braced, it makes for a steadier hold with a bow.

The only negative I have found is not being able to used my beloved heater body suite... lol.. there are ways around that though with layering and stick on body warmers. You absolutely can change clothes in your saddle as long as its not your pants... top half of your body.

There is a learning curve.. dont give up. Your gonna need to play around to find what works for you.. over all itll make you a much more versatile hunter.

BTW I have a treehopper drill and bolt system.. I can fit that and my saddle in my cargo pocket... everything I need to get to 25' up in any tree.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:45 am

See I dont have an issue with this... I use knee pads and put one knee on the tree and the other leg straight on my platform step. I will switch legs every 20 or 30 mins or so. I think the biggest thing guys have to realize is its not a seat like a conventional stand. I see guys wanting to sit down in them which puts pressure where it shouldnt be lol. With you having done it for 15 years though I am sure you have tried everything lol
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:55 am

Only other thing is.. many guys are into the platform to stand on.. it will make it more comfortable to a degree. I have one and have used one, but for me it limits my biggest reason for using a saddle in the first place... lol. I want to be able to swing around that tree and take any shot or be able to hide from passing deer that I am not targeting.. as well as hiding from a target deer, drawing, then creeping around the tree for a shot. Point being... dont limit yourself or get hung up on one thing till youve tried lots of stuff... find what works best for you as an individual. I now have a set of bullman steps and ratchet strap. I tie it to the strap on my pack and dont even know its there... lol.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:05 am

EllieTheChubb wrote:Greg godfrey of G2 outdoors and now Tethrd mentioned that he finds himself swaying from time to time... Just because its comfortable or fun or something. I cant remember exactly.

Tree branches sway in the wind. It’s funny because when in a saddle I actually feel like I’m part of the tree. If it sways I just ride it out and swing with it. I have deer look right past me all the time even as I work around a tree. It’s like they just think you are part of the tree. Pretty amazed by how much I get away with. With a hang on stand you are typically out in the open exposed and standing away from the tree instead of hiding behind it like you do in a saddle. That makes a huge difference.
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:23 am

Dewey wrote:
EllieTheChubb wrote:Greg godfrey of G2 outdoors and now Tethrd mentioned that he finds himself swaying from time to time... Just because its comfortable or fun or something. I cant remember exactly.

Tree branches sway in the wind. It’s funny because when in a saddle I actually feel like I’m part of the tree. If it sways I just ride it out and swing with it. I have deer look right past me all the time even as I work around a tree. It’s like they just think you are part of the tree. Pretty amazed by how much I get away with. With a hang on stand you are typically out in the open exposed and standing away from the tree instead of hiding behind it like you do in a saddle. That makes a huge difference.

I find though many setups it would be far from optimum to position myself behind the tree. Just last night I setup on a East/West trail, expected travel was coming from the west and because of the wind I had to setup on the south side of the trail. So if im going to position myself with the tree between me and where I think the deer are going to come from, i would need to be facing west which means my most likely shot is on my weak side at between 1 and 3 o'clock. Like i said earlier, that is a really tough shot- I've practiced it extensively but it still isnt easy and i find myself having to really torque my body into a knot to get the shot off. If I was in a hang on, to make that shot i would only need to turn 90 degrees to the right and shoot. In the saddle i need to swing the bow over the bridge and twist to try and make the shot, or shorten the tether up and spin all the way around- both of which are far more movement then you would encounter in a hang on. Maybe there are more efficient ways to do it in a saddle, I just havent found it.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:12 am

tbowers wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I find though many setups it would be far from optimum to position myself behind the tree. Just last night I setup on a East/West trail, expected travel was coming from the west and because of the wind I had to setup on the south side of the trail. So if im going to position myself with the tree between me and where I think the deer are going to come from, i would need to be facing west which means my most likely shot is on my weak side at between 1 and 3 o'clock. Like i said earlier, that is a really tough shot- I've practiced it extensively but it still isnt easy and i find myself having to really torque my body into a knot to get the shot off. If I was in a hang on, to make that shot i would only need to turn 90 degrees to the right and shoot. In the saddle i need to swing the bow over the bridge and twist to try and make the shot, or shorten the tether up and spin all the way around- both of which are far more movement then you would encounter in a hang on. Maybe there are more efficient ways to do it in a saddle, I just havent found it.

I have to ask.. why are you swinging the bow over the tether??? I walk right around that tree and always shoot to my left.. Im right handed. You dont have to position the tree between you and the deer.. I actually like being at a 45 degree angle so I can move slightly to hide or shoot. Let me post a picture
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:28 am

tbowers wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Dang!! I can show you how to take this shot but I don't know how to post a picture .. help!
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:48 am

tbowers wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Ok so here goes. Your gonna set up in a tree south of the trail on the SE side of the tree. You can watch to the left of the tree to see that deer coming from the West. Once you see a target animal your going to wait till that deer is NW with the tree between you and it. You'll then turn your whole body counter clock wise so your back is to the tree. This takes a ton of faith in your hook up lol and a tether that slides on your bridge cause that tether caribener is gonna end up right where your bridge meets your saddle connection on the right... as the deer continues to move east it's then facing away at 45 degrees allowing you to draw and take a quartering away shot. I've done this over a dozen times .... Works like a charm.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:22 am

So if that way freaks you out you can set up the same way I described above when you see the deer coming you can let some slack into your tether this is where it pays to have a ropeman 1 you can do it with one hand you wait till that deer gets to the point where the tree is between you and it you then peak around left side of the tree make sure the deer is not looking and creep your way around the tree to the left keeping the tree between you and the deer once you're to the point to where you have a good quartering away shot you can draw your bow and take it using this technique takes practice and knowing how much slack to put in your tether though
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:38 am

I use the top of my hawk helium and two or three of the cranford ezy climb t steps. I have no desire to add a platform to my setup.

strehb18 wrote:Are any of you guys using the beast sticks as your platform? Do you find the platform is essential? Does anyone potentially have a pic of what their setup then looks like in the tree?
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:16 am

This but for about 5 years
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:12 pm

fr0sty wrote:I use the top of my hawk helium and two or three of the cranford ezy climb t steps. I have no desire to add a platform to my setup.

You don't get foot fatigue?
Do you primarily sit or stand?
How far apart do you put the t steps? Do they circle the tree?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”