Oxbow or Military Crest (1/3 ridge)??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KPnorthdakota

Oxbow or Military Crest (1/3 ridge)??

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:13 pm

So, if you have a ridge and slope with some spurs and at the bottom by the river you have a couple of nice oxbows...

Where do you hunt the bucks?

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Re: Oxbow or Military Crest (1/3 ridge)??

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Need more info but a lot of the time those ridges come down into the oxbows. Essentially a finger jutting into the oxbow. They will create a natural funnel/pinch point for deer running the river corridor.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:29 pm

NYBackcountry wrote:Need more info but a lot of the time those ridges come down into the oxbows. Essentially a finger jutting into the oxbow. They will create a natural funnel/pinch point for deer running the river corridor.

You can see two oxbows that are side by side just about all wind directions covered.

I’m wondering if I’d be better off hunting the 1/3 or the oxbow?
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:11 pm

These are spots I'd check out. Good luck!

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 pm

funderburk wrote:These are spots I'd check out. Good luck!

Thanks. I’ve got a SW wind for the next few days...so, the lowest red circle is where I was planning on hunting this week.

So, you would hit the oxbow over the 1/3 mark on the slopes?
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:46 pm

KPnorthdakota wrote:

Thanks. I’ve got a SW wind for the next few days...so, the lowest red circle is where I was planning on hunting this week.

Depending on sign, but most likely. Only because most other hunters would think to hunt the ridges and points before the oxbows. Might be less pressure.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 pm

funderburk wrote:
KPnorthdakota wrote:

Depending on sign, but most likely. Only because most other hunters would think to hunt the ridges and points before the oxbows. Might be less pressure.

I’ve been wanting to hunt this piece of public. I’ve never seen anyone hunting it and it think that is because of the small size of it.

But, it’s getting late in the season and my normal spot is looking thin the last couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 pm

With it being late season, you might want to think about a bump and dump hunt: Sneak in to the 1/3 one morning, and if you bump him out of bed, set up right there and wait for him to calm down and come back to check things out (he may or may not). If you don’t bump him out, try the oxbow. Grid elimination.

Being more aggressive this time of year has helped me. Stay mobile. Good luck!
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:56 am

funderburk wrote:With it being late season, you might want to think about a bump and dump hunt: Sneak in to the 1/3 one morning, and if you bump him out of bed, set up right there and wait for him to calm down and come back to check things out (he may or may not). If you don’t bump him out, try the oxbow. Grid elimination.

Being more aggressive this time of year has helped me. Stay mobile. Good luck!

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:30 am

Do 5the ridge, then if nothing the oxbow... If your limited in time I would bet on the oxbows if there is good cover.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:34 am

The oxbows in the riverbottoms I hunt generally have good if not great bedding. The ridges tend to be open hardwoods with little understudy and make for poor bedding - especially with high pressure.

My observations that oxbows with good bedding are not used exclusively for certain winds, but that they stay on them and move around the bedding based on wind direction.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:17 am

dan wrote:Do 5the ridge, then if nothing the oxbow... If your limited in time I would bet on the oxbows if there is good cover.

Thanks, Dan. If the oxbow is normal for around here it will be like a well grown-up CRP.

BTW, my wife could care less about hunting. So, I usually start watching my hunting videos when she’s ready to go to sleep. The other night I was watching Farm Bedding again and right before she fell asleep the part with you smelling the hunter upwind smoking was playing. As you jokingly described all that you were smelling my wife started belly laughing. She thought it was absolutely hilarious...as I, also, did.

So, you now have a non-hunting fan. Thanks for all you do for us hunters...including the laughs.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:18 am

d_rek wrote:The oxbows in the riverbottoms I hunt generally have good if not great bedding. The ridges tend to be open hardwoods with little understudy and make for poor bedding - especially with high pressure.

My observations that oxbows with good bedding are not used exclusively for certain winds, but that they stay on them and move around the bedding based on wind direction.

There are two oxbows that would serve every wind direction and you can see the deer paths from one to the other when you zoom in to the satellite imagery.

Friday is now forecasting a SE wind with snow. Gonna be interesting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:33 am

KPnorthdakota wrote:
dan wrote:Do 5the ridge, then if nothing the oxbow... If your limited in time I would bet on the oxbows if there is good cover.

Thanks, Dan. If the oxbow is normal for around here it will be like a well grown-up CRP.

BTW, my wife could care less about hunting. So, I usually start watching my hunting videos when she’s ready to go to sleep. The other night I was watching Farm Bedding again and right before she fell asleep the part with you smelling the hunter upwind smoking was playing. As you jokingly described all that you were smelling my wife started belly laughing. She thought it was absolutely hilarious...as I, also, did.

So, you now have a non-hunting fan. Thanks for all you do for us hunters...including the laughs.

Awesome! Good luck! 8-)
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:45 am

Could you explain ideal wind for bucks and oxbows?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”