how to do a 2 man deer drive

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

northeast beast

how to do a 2 man deer drive

Unread postby northeast beast » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:21 am

I will be out with the muzzleloader this weekend. Weather is calling temps 20 degrees above normal. I am betting those deer won't move after 3 weeks of rifle season on top of that. I'll be in hill country big woods mostly targeting pine blocks. Any advise on how to do a 2 man drive? I am more looking like a wind bump or something just to get them up and moving I am not a deer drive guy. I know the basic put one guy at one end and have the other guy walk upwind toward the poster . Any other methods you guys like to do with just 2 of you that seems to work well. thanks

Edcyclopedia

Re: how to do a 2 man deer drive

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:40 am

One high & one low
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:29 am

My favorite way to drive them with two people is to place one guy on a point at the bottom of a bowl, then have the other guy make a really big loop around it, going slow. More times than not, the deer will run out the bottom, giving the stander a shot. There are times where they will try to cut back giving the driver an opportunity. The key is keeping the drives small and in places that funnel the deer down really well. If you try to take on a big chunk, most of the deer will get away without being seen.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:34 am

If you are after older deer any kind of straight line push just isn't going to work all that great. I'd think more along the lines of escape routes, or even setting up a guy where you enter a bedding area because those bucks will loop right around and could slip out the way you came in. Not that a traditional drive can't work under the right circumstances, its just harder to pull off, especially with only two guys.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:19 am

2 man still hunt across the wind. Most upwind man starts in. 2nd man lets the first get in 100-150 yards. Then starts in about 75-100 yards downwind. 2nd man gets most of the sightings/shots.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Pooh

Unread postby Pooh » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:25 am

This might help. The THP crew has some good info
https://youtu.be/a6knbcwPj80
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:08 am

Rule #1 keep it small!
Rule #2 go slow! You dont want the deer on a dead sprint!

Best luck ive had is to post 1st man down wind of bedding and 2nd man does a 3/4 circle upwind around the bedding in hopes of bumping them out then posts up on the edge just off of the wind and 1st man pushes right through which can push those stubborn deer out. They'll bust out then circle back to catch your scent Rinse and repeat on the next bedding area. 1st man usually sees all the action
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:56 pm

stash59 wrote:2 man still hunt across the wind. Most upwind man starts in. 2nd man lets the first get in 100-150 yards. Then starts in about 75-100 yards downwind. 2nd man gets most of the sightings/shots.

I watched this 3 times and that's where I've been brainstorming ideas...I liked how they stamped the time in there a bunch so you could see how slow it really went
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks guys for the advise...I hope I can attach a pic to this post after the weekend

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”