Stacking beds question.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Stacking beds question.

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:07 pm

I know a lot of u guys stack beds, which seems pretty logical. My question is would this logic work for any hunting style? As often does my mind wonders while I'm in a tree waiting ons flash of antler.

My thoughts are what about applying this same logic of increasing ones odds to let's say a ridge running rut Hunter. I hunt a lot of small properties that don't offer bedding atleast on the part I have access to. So it's basically travel routes that take place during the rut. Several of these properties have multiple ridges that seem at times as a crap shoot of which will get the bulk of daily travel.

My thoughts are (in a perfect world) getting consistent conditions for a pretty good stretch sometime right b4 the bomb goes off and the bucks are still primarily setting up there runs at night. Say I got 3 ridges on a property that have proven no better than the next, it just divides travel and requires a good bit of luck to pick the right one on the right day. So I purposely over hunt two of them to encourage travel on the virgin ground. Thoughts, concerns and opinions...

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jdw
500 Club

Re: Stacking beds question.

Unread postby Jdw » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:21 pm

I have 3 main crossings on a farm I hunt. I put trail cameras on both end crossings and Waited for two months to go back in. I killed a mature buck on the first time in to the crossing without a camera.
Judging by the sign and pictures there was little activity by the cameras even though it was 2 months between checks. In years past the other crossings have had more sign.
I don’t know if it was a natural travel route shift or it was related to my intrusion into the area.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:01 pm

I’ve seen it work both ways for travel patterns. If there’s not a preferred ridge between the 3 and nobody else is applying pressure, it makes sense, and is what I’m attempting to do. I like to think this strategy had an impact on me getting my KY buck.

Preferred ridge/bed, Ive seen with cameras, movement shifting more nocturnal. Bumped the same buck 2 times this year out of a bed. Relocated yesterday in a more huntable area.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:54 am

I do not try to stack bedding areas - I let other hunters do it - and they are pretty consistent on helping out year after year. it is amazing to me how predictable people are - even when it is different hunters they just seem to do the same things every year. This year I hunted with Ikeman for 4 days on a new piece of public. One morning I sat in the truck until daylight while he went to another location. As I sat in the truck waiting for daylight so I could go scout - 4 different trucks pulled in (6 total hunters) every single one of them took the exact same entry and went to the exact same area. Not one single hunter went to the open area I was going into - not a single one. I walked in for 2 miles and wound up finding a hidden oak flat, a nice creek bottom and several hot scrapes and bedding areas. One of the best tips anyone can give a new beast is to start paying attention to what other hunters are going and then do the opposite - I guarantee you the deer are.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”