It's more than just a "hobby"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

It's more than just a "hobby"

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:21 am

It's that time of year again. My truck is filthy with Gatorade bottles, candy wrappers, and smells of a mix of fresh earth and tinks..... My list of chores not accomplished has grown to be a book over the past two and a half months. I've lost 17 pounds, but i can now run the mountain with a climber on my back and a bow in tow with out batting an eye. I'm the kind of guy that everyone knows, when you talk to me, the conversation will eventually turn to deer hunting. I have a cliche "obsession" or "passion" for this lifestyle some fierce. I even have a mossy oak tattoo on my forearm from a fun night years ago. Now that i am all but done hunting this year, filling three of my four buck tags, I can't help but look to the future and reflect on what i learned this year.

Instant and willing obedience to dedication when it comes to deer hunting is uncontrollable for me. I could not not think about it, regardless of how hard i tried. It is omni-present in my thoughts, prayers and dreams. I recently harvested a descent buck on the last afternoon of the West Virginia rifle season. Through the jovial sentiment, I felt that hint of disappointment that the season has come and gone. I'm sure that i do not stand alone in the thinking that the pursuit of odocoileus virginianus is what i am really in love with. The harvest comes and goes to quickly and we are simply left with the story. The scouting, the prepping, the planning, executing the plans made, waking up with the forest, harvesting the animal, all of it collectively forms the core of my obsession. I hunt the way i do, that's just who i am. I am overly intense, at times find myself thinking how crazy i sound when i am describing to people just some of the things i did to get bucks on the ground this year. I know some guys who get really upset about how many guys hit the public lands, but i think that knowing and seeing those guys out there make me love it so much more. We own that land, its ours to hunt on, there's no one telling you that you can't. This year i was able to put a canoe on a public lake and row across to the other side in order to take a young but well earned buck. I felt so much excitement and thankfulness being able to do that. I ran into quite a few hunters this year as i walked past them to get to my stand sites, some were stand offish that i was passing them, but some didn't. Most guys just wanted to talk about how my season was going, and what they had seen this year. It's all part of what makes me love being a sportsman. I wish there was a way that i could be more involved or maybe have a career in the outdoor/hunting industry but who knows maybe it would loose its luster..... highly doubtful, but not out of the question i suppose. So again, here i sit, having had one of the best years of hunting i have ever had, and the second i pulled the trigger to fill my last doe tag on Saturday, i was thinking of all of the work i need to get done for next season and all of the lessons i learned this year. Many guys dream to have their own private property to hunt un-pressured, food plot raised deer. I dream of consistently killing large mature deer on public lands, and that i never loose my will to hunt. So, I start the year long process of prepping for next archery season. Good luck to all those with tags left, & happy hunting!

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
sbeasley

Re: It's more than just a "hobby"

Unread postby sbeasley » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:09 am

...what he said :lol:

If I had more time, I'd be right there with you. I try to keep a balance in life with family, multiple hobbies. ...and work :cry: ...but I belong in the woods. Just feels right out there. Figuring out mature bucks is addicting
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:45 pm

You lost me at Tinks and fresh Earth.... :lol: However recently I believe I discovered a PB &J from the winter of 09 behind the seat!

Anyone have any experience with packing in booze? If you plan on a all day sit is a 18pk enough or should I spring for the 30pk? Also if u plan on drinking a gallon of Jack Daniels while in the tree, should I pre mix in a thermos? How many 2 liters coke should I bring to handle a gallon of Jack? Any tips for cutting weight in my set up so I can carry more Jack and beer is appreciated! Also im worried deer might get suspicious over the oak barrel smell in mesquite country or u suppose it's just my own stench I'm pouring down the chutes?

Just playing of course, but have always been curious how all these dang beer cans and alcoholic beverage bottles get tossed all over our hunting grounds. Thought we are hunting deer not watching NASCAR :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
adelle26
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1464870057

Unread postby adelle26 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Nice writeup and congrats on your success from a fellow WV hunter.
wild and wonderful
North Arrow Taxidermy
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:08 pm

I can relate.
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:39 am

Sounds like you had a great fall.

I can tell you that my truck doesn't smell like Tinks or fresh earth. More like sweaty boots. :D

When I am not hunting I am thinking about hunting. I find myself checking the weather and wind predictions several times a day. And then going over my options on maps and in my head over and over and over.

I can think of worse addictions...
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:18 am

This is quite simply put human spirit. I am always so envious when I read or hear about someone who is so passionate about anything they enjoy doing. Hang on to that feeling as long as you can, because if you lose it, it can't be bought or manufactured. This is what makes existence into life and unfortunately it can make life into existence when it's gone.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:44 am

I like the write up. A lot of times I really wish hunting was like fishing. It makes the work week fly by waiting for my next fix.

I can say don't turn your passion into your day job. I use to eat, sleep, and dream about diesel performance. Lay in bed at night working out piston bowl designs for that extra few hp. After building tons of motors, turbo and fuel combinations I have to force myself to keep doing it. I don't even do it full time. Granted everyone is different.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Anyone have any experience with packing in booze? If you plan on a all day sit is a 18pk enough or should I spring for the 30pk? Also if u plan on drinking a gallon of Jack Daniels while in the tree, should I pre mix in a thermos? How many 2 liters coke should I bring to handle a gallon of Jack? Any tips for cutting weight in my set up so I can carry more Jack and beer is appreciated! Also im worried deer might get suspicious over the oak barrel smell in mesquite country or u suppose it's just my own stench I'm pouring down :lol:

Probably should just switch over to cocaine. Will be much lighter, easier to pack, quieter not opening cans!! And can hide the snorts with the deer snort wheeze sound maybe.... lmao.... yea I wonder about all those bottles and cans myself. Could be bigfoot is an alcoholic
Make It Happen
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Swampbuck wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Anyone have any experience with packing in booze? If you plan on a all day sit is a 18pk enough or should I spring for the 30pk? Also if u plan on drinking a gallon of Jack Daniels while in the tree, should I pre mix in a thermos? How many 2 liters coke should I bring to handle a gallon of Jack? Any tips for cutting weight in my set up so I can carry more Jack and beer is appreciated! Also im worried deer might get suspicious over the oak barrel smell in mesquite country or u suppose it's just my own stench I'm pouring down :lol:

Probably should just switch over to cocaine. Will be much lighter, easier to pack, quieter not opening cans!! And can hide the snorts with the deer snort wheeze sound maybe.... lmao.... yea I wonder about all those bottles and cans myself. Could be bigfoot is an alcoholic

I save the cocaine for my B&J pixie dust blend. Secret is to start em out early summer so u give em enough time to really get hooked. By the time early bow comes around that monkey has his hooks dug deep in there back they can't help themselves. Keep that on the DL Billy Mayes showed me that trick.

To the OP sorry to derail but have got my lunch handed to me past few days so in the spirit of fun it keeps me grounded and realizing why I'm out there in the first place. Good post and best of luck in future hunts
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Well said pennsylvainian. And you kill me boogieman
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:59 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:

I save the cocaine for my B&J pixie dust blend. Secret is to start em out early summer so u give em enough time to really get hooked. By the time early bow comes around that monkey has his hooks dug deep in there back they can't help themselves. Keep that on the DL Billy Mayes showed me that trick.

To the OP sorry to derail but have got my lunch handed to me past few days so in the spirit of fun it keeps me grounded and realizing why I'm out there in the first place. Good post and best of luck in future hunts

Well dernit ima have to try that!! Sounds like a much better use of it!! :lol:

Yes I couldnt help it either but it was a good post and didn't mean to derail but hopefully got a few laughs in too!!
Make It Happen
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:40 pm

Obsession is an understatement in this little corner of the web. :lol:
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:32 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:It's that time of year again. My truck is filthy with Gatorade bottles, candy wrappers, and smells of a mix of fresh earth and tinks..... My list of chores not accomplished has grown to be a book over the past two and a half months. I've lost 17 pounds, but i can now run the mountain with a climber on my back and a bow in tow with out batting an eye. I'm the kind of guy that everyone knows, when you talk to me, the conversation will eventually turn to deer hunting. I have a cliche "obsession" or "passion" for this lifestyle some fierce. I even have a mossy oak tattoo on my forearm from a fun night years ago. Now that i am all but done hunting this year, filling three of my four buck tags, I can't help but look to the future and reflect on what i learned this year.

Instant and willing obedience to dedication when it comes to deer hunting is uncontrollable for me. I could not not think about it, regardless of how hard i tried. It is omni-present in my thoughts, prayers and dreams. I recently harvested a descent buck on the last afternoon of the West Virginia rifle season. Through the jovial sentiment, I felt that hint of disappointment that the season has come and gone. I'm sure that i do not stand alone in the thinking that the pursuit of odocoileus virginianus is what i am really in love with. The harvest comes and goes to quickly and we are simply left with the story. The scouting, the prepping, the planning, executing the plans made, waking up with the forest, harvesting the animal, all of it collectively forms the core of my obsession. I hunt the way i do, that's just who i am. I am overly intense, at times find myself thinking how crazy i sound when i am describing to people just some of the things i did to get bucks on the ground this year. I know some guys who get really upset about how many guys hit the public lands, but i think that knowing and seeing those guys out there make me love it so much more. We own that land, its ours to hunt on, there's no one telling you that you can't. This year i was able to put a canoe on a public lake and row across to the other side in order to take a young but well earned buck. I felt so much excitement and thankfulness being able to do that. I ran into quite a few hunters this year as i walked past them to get to my stand sites, some were stand offish that i was passing them, but some didn't. Most guys just wanted to talk about how my season was going, and what they had seen this year. It's all part of what makes me love being a sportsman. I wish there was a way that i could be more involved or maybe have a career in the outdoor/hunting industry but who knows maybe it would loose its luster..... highly doubtful, but not out of the question i suppose. So again, here i sit, having had one of the best years of hunting i have ever had, and the second i pulled the trigger to fill my last doe tag on Saturday, i was thinking of all of the work i need to get done for next season and all of the lessons i learned this year. Many guys dream to have their own private property to hunt un-pressured, food plot raised deer. I dream of consistently killing large mature deer on public lands, and that i never loose my will to hunt. So, I start the year long process of prepping for next archery season. Good luck to all those with tags left, & happy hunting!

I just read this and smiled. It's like reading something I would have wrote word for word! I tagged out in PA and OH on 3 sits this year.

Its been all about finishing my chores since then. Starting to dive back into maps and finding new areas to hunt for next year, planning spring scouting by cyber scouting. I love this new style of scouting and hunting. Its been 3 years now as a beast, hunting and scouting with a purpose. I couldn't agree more on all you said about public. I truly feel like I OWN public land. I could never imagine buying ground. I see guys do it, spending a life's savings just to hunt 20,40 acres and then complain about not seeing deer. My family has 100 acres here in south central Pa to hunt and the neighbor has about another 300 but I just love the big open public lands. Exploring new areas for monster buck bedding has just completely taken over me, haha.

Back in high school I can remember I once went 10 straight sit where I didn't see a deer while hunting on our farm in archery season. I sat the same tree every evening. It was "my tree" b/c I had shot a couple bucks out of it a few times in past rifle seasons.

Now, reflecting back on what I've accomplished.. My first year as a beast was a bust. My first ever beast scout I found this slob's summer bed and got him on camera in his bed. I hunting directly over the bed like a bait pile about 5 times throughout the season and NEVER SAW A DEER! :lol: I had so much to learn and bit off way more than I could chew giving the way I was hunting and what I actually understood.

After that first season of "working out the kinks" I was able to spring scout that following winter and man its just put me in such great situations ever since. Like I said I killed 2 on 3 sits this year with the bow. (PA and OH). I've had chances at a 110, a 130 and 2 100's in my last 5 or 6 sits i think, going back to last year. (I missed the 130 :oops: ) And just overall seeing deer, I've at-least seen a deer while hunting in my last 14 straight sits. Which that part I really don't care about. I'm not trying to just hunt deer but it is a fact I thought I'd share. Not trying to brag at all, My bucks aren't really worth bragging about. I'm just trying to express how much the beast style hunting has improved me.

But, yeah its just been such a blast in recent years and I know exactly how you feel bud!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:37 am

I'm right there with you. This has been my first year hunting totally with the beast style. It has absolutely kicked my but, but I know I am a much better hunter now, than this time last year.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”