4th Quarter Doe

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter74201

4th Quarter Doe

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:04 am

with just under a week left in our season, and an empty freezer, i had some luck yesterday on a nice freezer filler doe. the morning started out pretty cold, 8* with a bit of a breeze. i got into my stand just before day break. thankfully i chose to use my iwom, it was cold but i was toasty. at about 830 i saw a pair of does making their way down an old logging trail to my right. the trail passes by my stand at 50 yards, and i have a nice big shooting lane cut out right in front of me. the bigger of the 2 was first so she was the main target. she hit my shooting lane and paused there on her own just long enough for me to settle the pin and let it fly. the shot looked good, and sounded good, a good "crack" sound. she ran about 40 yards and stopped, started doing the dizzy dance and tipped over. the 2nd doe strolled over to her and stood there for a while wondering what had happened but eventually made her way off into the woods.

i gave it about 30 min and climbed down. blood trail was great, partial snow which is always awesome. i shot this one with a redhead gator 2 blade and was quite impressed. they fly great and as you can see, make a helluva set of holes and leave a great blood trail. first deer i've killed with this head and i wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

this doe was a very welcomed and frankly much needed gift. i've been in a pretty bad dry spell for a couple years. i didn't shoot anything last year, gun or bow. never even picked up either weapon for a shot all season. and this year, hunting at home was very slow and i missed 2 bucks in ohio back in november. one was a dandy bumping the 160 mark (40 yard shot, hit a branch) and the other was a 130s 8 point that i just whiffed on. easy, open 30 yard shot.. i just plain missed. mentally i've been pretty down about it all. the last 2 seasons started weighing on me i guess. i hadn't given up but i wasn't far from just calling it a season. so, with one week left to hunt, i finally put one on the ground. it's just a 110 lb doe, but i have a feeling that these backstraps will be some of the sweetest i've ever tasted. mentally i really needed this one. and the cherry on top, my 5 year old daughter wanted to help. not only did she blood trail it, she even helped me field dress it by holding a leg for me here and there. and it didn't bother her a bit. she was repeatedly asking "what's that??" looking at the gut pile while poking it with a stick. i think i may have a future hunting buddy, but for sure a darn good little helper :D

andy

Re: 4th Quarter Doe

Unread postby andy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 am

Congrats! Nothing like that feeling of getting the monkey off your back. Some guys may be confident enough in their skills and their freezer that tag soup doesn’t bother them that much, but it sure weighs on me. Enjoy some backstraps!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Congrats!! :clap: :clap:
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Congrats on the doe and getting the youngen involved!!! :clap: :clap:
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:32 am

thanks guys. i guess i just needed that confidence booster after last year's train wreck of a season and missing on 2 good bucks this year. i've been at this for 30 years, and i've had my share of highs and lows, believe me. but this was the first time i was actually starting to question whether or not i had any business being out there. just down on myself i guess. i'm feeling much better now :mrgreen:

i've got some pics but i'm having trouble uploading them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”