Where am I messing up?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Where am I messing up?

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:11 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
HunterBob wrote:

If you are bumping deer on your way in (in the afternoon I assume), mark the spots and this may be a good setup for am hunts.

Typically how many beds will deer use on a given day? I understand they like to keep a routine? Will try eat, bed, move, eat, bed, move? Or will they stay in a particular area?

that depends on the deer time of year available cover and pressure ive watched deer bed in morning then get up and wander off mid day some deer bed on edge then move in deeper some will sit tight all day. its all still a gamble but putting yourself close too the action is what makes it more productive and higher percentage.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:39 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
that depends on the deer time of year available cover and pressure ive watched deer bed in morning then get up and wander off mid day some deer bed on edge then move in deeper some will sit tight all day. its all still a gamble but putting yourself close too the action is what makes it more productive and higher percentage.

Ok, basically trial and error on stand placement. How long do I sit tight before moving if I see sign but no deer?
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:55 am

ghoasthunter wrote:

Ok, basically trial and error on stand placement. How long do I sit tight before moving if I see sign but no deer?

That's the question! It's up to you, I moved alot this year. I didn't have alot of time to waste on stands that weren't producing. That's the key with staying mobile. If I didn't see the deer when I expected to see them I was moving, I may have missed some chance but the tactic worked in the end. Now I wasn't hunting specific deer, I was just hunting and learning, hoping a buck that got me excited would come around.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:58 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

That's the question! It's up to you, I moved alot this year. I didn't have alot of time to waste on stands that weren't producing. That's the key with staying mobile. If I didn't see the deer when I expected to see them I was moving, I may have missed some chance but the tactic worked in the end. Now I wasn't hunting specific deer, I was just hunting and learning, hoping a buck that got me excited would come around.

thats how its done once the spot is hit its burnt on too the next
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:02 am

Even in Dan's videos and posts, when he tagerts specific bucks he's sitting in a different location almost every time. If your unpredictable it'll be harder for them to avoid you.
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:44 am

I didn't read all the posts so maybe this was said.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am just being honest. From what you originally posted, all I can think is your not Putting the Work In. I understand how life gets in the way, how hard it can be to balance life and hunting. I myself have a wife and 4 young kids, its hard to do both.

We all can give you all the tips and advice, but really you need to ask yourself. A) What are your priorities? B) What kind of hunter do you want to be?

I think once you know those 2 things you develop a plan. You may need to step back a little, put the bow / gun away. How much have you educated yourself in Terrain, Tactics, Deer movement / habitat, food sources, etc? Make some choice on how you want to approach hunting, then when you have some info dive into the woods and start scouting, pick say 3 properties and know them very well. Take some notes, look at aerials, looks at topo's, then analyze what you found. Did you find deer where you thought you would, where was the bedding, what food sources did you find, where is the water, did you find rutting activity, etc. I say this only as I am not sure how much you have studied how you want to hunt, if you have ignore this.

If your bumping deer where you don't expect them and not seeing them where you did expect them, then you need to scout the property more and do more work on understanding bedding and movement and how that can change seasonally.

Nothing in life comes easy, nothing in hunting comes easy, you have to put the work in.

I hunted as a teen with my uncle, I gave up hunting until 4 years ago, my first year back at it was tough, I like you bumped deer walking in and didn't see them in my stand. I quickly realized I didn't know really what I was doing. My drive to be better is what really pushed me to educate myself, luckily when talking with a friend he mentioned hunting bucks beds, I began researching online deer bedding and then I found this forum. I read and searched for months all kinds of topics, I watched all the online videos, asked questions, bought the dvd's and began scouting much more than hunting. I was obsessed, slowly everything over the course of 2 years started to fall together, my failure turned into knowledge. Last year I shot my first buck, then my confidence took off and I this year I took two good bucks. Really is I am being honest just because I have some success doesn't mean I am good, I am still learning and growing as a hunter, but the success if a product of putting in the work, that I am sure of.

Listen to this podcast with Dan, Mark, Joe and Andy, listen to advice they give to young / beginner hunters, it is the best advice anyone can give. What good is a style, tip, tactic, etc. if you don't have the fundamental understanding of the creature you are after?

http://wiredtohunt.com/2018/07/19/wired ... an-infalt/
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:10 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:

Ok, just to clarify, during a sit, if after a while I see no action, move, but also if I hunted with success, the spot it's burned out for a while?
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:16 am

SidewayZ wrote:I didn't read all the posts so maybe this was said.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am just being honest. From what you originally posted, all I can think is your not Putting the Work In. I understand how life gets in the way, how hard it can be to balance life and hunting. I myself have a wife and 4 young kids, its hard to do both.

We all can give you all the tips and advice, but really you need to ask yourself. A) What are your priorities? B) What kind of hunter do you want to be?

I think once you know those 2 things you develop a plan. You may need to step back a little, put the bow / gun away. How much have you educated yourself in Terrain, Tactics, Deer movement / habitat, food sources, etc? Make some choice on how you want to approach hunting, then when you have some info dive into the woods and start scouting, pick say 3 properties and know them very well. Take some notes, look at aerials, looks at topo's, then analyze what you found. Did you find deer where you thought you would, where was the bedding, what food sources did you find, where is the water, did you find rutting activity, etc. I say this only as I am not sure how much you have studied how you want to hunt, if you have ignore this.

If your bumping deer where you don't expect them and not seeing them where you did expect them, then you need to scout the property more and do more work on understanding bedding and movement and how that can change seasonally.

Nothing in life comes easy, nothing in hunting comes easy, you have to put the work in.

I hunted as a teen with my uncle, I gave up hunting until 4 years ago, my first year back at it was tough, I like you bumped deer walking in and didn't see them in my stand. I quickly realized I didn't know really what I was doing. My drive to be better is what really pushed me to educate myself, luckily when talking with a friend he mentioned hunting bucks beds, I began researching online deer bedding and then I found this forum. I read and searched for months all kinds of topics, I watched all the online videos, asked questions, bought the dvd's and began scouting much more than hunting. I was obsessed, slowly everything over the course of 2 years started to fall together, my failure turned into knowledge. Last year I shot my first buck, then my confidence took off and I this year I took two good bucks. Really is I am being honest just because I have some success doesn't mean I am good, I am still learning and growing as a hunter, but the success if a product of putting in the work, that I am sure of.

Listen to this podcast with Dan, Mark, Joe and Andy, listen to advice they give to young / beginner hunters, it is the best advice anyone can give. What good is a style, tip, tactic, etc. if you don't have the fundamental understanding of the creature you are after?

http://wiredtohunt.com/2018/07/19/wired ... an-infalt/

No offense taken, thank you for the advise. Here for the guidance on how to put the work in.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:56 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:

Ok, just to clarify, during a sit, if after a while I see no action, move, but also if I hunted with success, the spot it's burned out for a while?

when you say a spot, do you mean a specific tree. if so then, yes, i would say that spot is "burned", but hey thats me. you are the only one who knows what your seeing. you should hunt based off of what you are experiencing. If you think that area is hot enough to produce again then you make the call. like i said i really really made an attempt this year to only hunt sites once but i also hunted based on what i was seeing i did go back to an area a second time and harvested a buck, and sat another area a third time in rifle, but i never sat in the same tree more then once. everything you will learn on here well only be able to help you start learning how to figure this stuff out. every single time you go in the woods its different than the last, by knowing a few rules of thumb you can make, as dan says, "an well educated guess" as to where you should hunt. the biggest thing that will teach is getting boots on the ground.!
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:25 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:

when you say a spot, do you mean a specific tree. if so then, yes, i would say that spot is "burned", but hey thats me. you are the only one who knows what your seeing. you should hunt based off of what you are experiencing. If you think that area is hot enough to produce again then you make the call. like i said i really really made an attempt this year to only hunt sites once but i also hunted based on what i was seeing i did go back to an area a second time and harvested a buck, and sat another area a third time in rifle, but i never sat in the same tree more then once. everything you will learn on here well only be able to help you start learning how to figure this stuff out. every single time you go in the woods its different than the last, by knowing a few rules of thumb you can make, as dan says, "an well educated guess" as to where you should hunt. the biggest thing that will teach is getting boots on the ground.!

Thank you guys for your responses, I'll keep you posted as to what happens.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”