First beast scout

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Recurve6

First beast scout

Unread postby Recurve6 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:02 am

Pouring rain here in TN yesterday so I decided after sitting in rain in morning - to see nothing- to go to a public area I used to hunt and try my first beast scout.

Thousands of acres of timberland - heavy logging as it’s leassd by state from timber company for hunting rights.....

Parked in a spot where an old logging road went out on a ridge. I never used to do that cause I avoided the easier access points but I figured what difference would it make since I was walking about 3 miles of military crest line and had to start somewhere....... a few hundred yards in started seeing some rubs- old and a few new - it was all there just as promised - about 600 yards back I found a cluster of rubs all around a high point with ridges feeding up to it- after walking all the ridges out I saw some “dead ended” with severe drop offs at end that not even a deer would want to go down.....so even though tops looks very similar it’s not all the same...

At this high point it all funnels up to him and he has the few best escape ridges as options in case of danger.......wow..... no beds were identified positively but this made most sense given my little experience reading this.

Took a long time to do this - like 3 plus hours- and I was soaked but excited.

I remembered Dan saying he would/could go in cold to hunt a spot just based on topo map so I looked at mine and tried to see if I could find another “spot” just by looking at topo...

About a mile down road was a high point with a saddle dropping off about 300 yards out on the north side - like previous spot- the saddle then climbed back up to a small knob 100 feet above the rest of the ridge that then felll away to two gradually sloping ridges... based on my first spot I thought that knob would be the spot so I headed there trying to beat darkness

Found rubs in saddle and as I climbed the knoll found what I think is my first bed..... it was getting dark and really raining so I had to head back to Jeep but it clicked...

If he’s coming in nose to wind he’s coming from where you would park so you will be blocking him from bed and he will disappear- unless he pops up from bottom in saddle and scent checks from 60 yards away before climbing knoll to bed.... super steep drop offs mean only real access is from straight south so he either sees or smells you but no way to get to him unless you’re willing to go a long way around...long way....

Questions for you veterans ( if you made it this far)......

How far downwind will they “usually “ scent a bedding area before going in?
Is this where trail cams come in?
How do,you reconcile cams and checking them with trying not to disturb him and bust him,out?
Do you just find spots like this on map based on wind and cross your fingers he’s there that day? My area is a LOT like the LBL land Dan scouted on film and there aren’t a ton of deer or sign .... so set up and hunt best sign with wind in your favor?

Most guys walk out a ridge road and drop off side and cover a whole valley with a rifle - guilty- and it’ll pay off every now and then so ya keep doing it.. I was avoiding hill/ridge top sign cause I thought it was made at night and harder to get to valleys were where the action is.... I was screwing up walking through the best sign not realizing how they were using these ridges....

Super excited to go back next weekend ...since it was pouring I doubt I left any scent ...

Sorry so,long.....any feedback appreciated!

Pat

<DK>
500 Club

Re: First beast scout

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:55 am

Recurve6 wrote:head back to Jeep but it clicked...

If he’s coming in nose to wind he’s coming from where you would park so you will be blocking him from bed and he will disappear- unless he pops up from bottom in saddle and scent checks from 60 yards away before climbing knoll to bed.... super steep drop offs mean only real access is from straight south so he either sees or smells you but no way to get to him unless you’re willing to go a long way around... - You will find this most times w deer bedding. Proper access will usually be determined based on other hunters access or pressure.

How far downwind will they “usually “ scent a bedding area before going in? - This will vary based on many factors. Youll have to find some sign like a track or rub to make that decision. You can either back off hunt travel corridor to preserve the bed or go for broke and setup closer. The morning thermals can be tough and makes it a high risk / high reward situation.

Is this where trail cams come in? How do,you reconcile cams and checking them with trying not to disturb him and bust him,out?
Do you just find spots like this on map based on wind and cross your fingers he’s there that day? - You can setup a cam tight to bedding but those should be cams that are checked rarely, under the right conditions or when you decide to hunt the spot. If you know where bedding areas are then you could run one in a less intrusive spot. Based on wind direction and his travel pattern you can determine where hes coming from.

Pat
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: First beast scout

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 pm

im guessing from your post you are in middle to eastern tn? I'm in west tn and we have a ton of wetland and it's quite different from steep hills.

There's one wma that I used to really enjoy hunting that was hilly with lots of logging. Every ridge top had a gravel road or an access trail which made for easy access but it was tough to find good spots that weren't easily accessed. I used to see deer all over and it wasn't uncommon to see deer in groups along the roadsides. I think it now gets hammered with atv traffic and I honestly got away from hunting it the last few seasons because deer sightings had dropped down to nothing.

I'd take your new knowledge about hill country and elevation and add in an edge with briars and thick nasty brush and cut overs that aren't being pushed by rabbit hunters and beagles. Even an edge that seperates short pines and red oaks could be money. I like to find stuff that is hard to walk through and that is tall enough to not be able to effectively rabbit hunt. Then I climb up along edges and look down into the cut overs.

It may take a few seasons to figure out but the beast will greatly reduce your learning curve. Good luck stick with it feel free to pm me!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”