Late season/December beans

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Late season/December beans

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:43 am

Does anyone know if deer would prefer or go to late season beans that are still standing versus the leftover after they’ve been cut? Have 2 diff fields, one standing and one cut last week and not sure which would be more attractive to them. I didn’t see a ton of sign around the cut beans. Checking out the standing ones today. It’s somewhat hard to tell as the ground has been frozen this week.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
hambone
500 Club

Re: Late season/December beans

Unread postby hambone » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:57 am

Standing beans would be my first choice. If spilled beans are sprouting on the cut field, my choice may change. It's been too cold around here for that to happen right now.
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:08 am

I hunted a cut bean field with snow on the ground and the farmer missed a small piece, when I say small I mean just a few stocks. I watched several deer come and nibble on the few stocks that were left the night I hunted. The deer were like a magnet to the few remaining beans. With that said I would hut the standing beans if I were you.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:38 pm

mheichelbech wrote:Does anyone know if deer would prefer or go to late season beans that are still standing versus the leftover after they’ve been cut? Have 2 diff fields, one standing and one cut last week and not sure which would be more attractive to them. I didn’t see a ton of sign around the cut beans. Checking out the standing ones today. It’s somewhat hard to tell as the ground has been frozen this week.

If there is no snow, standing beans are so so, if there is snow it's the best food plot you can get. Cut beans are last resort I've found.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:31 am

^^^ This
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:29 pm

No snow so far. Just cold.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:52 pm

mheichelbech wrote:No snow so far. Just cold.

They'll hammer standing beans when it's cold. I'd hunt standing beans over cut beans every day.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”