Define success

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

Define success

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:50 am

From an outsiders perspective this season doesn’t look successful. Haven’t drawn my bow. Haven’t clicked off the safety on my gun. But looking deeper I’m feeling like I’ve had a pretty good season so far.

I’ve been out 15 times this season, roughly half as much as I would have hunted by this point of the season in years past. I’ve had 3 mature bucks within 50 yards 2 of which were at 25 with no shot. I’ve also jumped 2 nice bucks while setting up too close. So to me it seems like I’ve done alright. It hasn’t come together yet and late season usually isn’t easy going for me but I’m optimistic.

My daughter has taken an interest in going with me and we’ve had a couple chances to sit and enjoy each other’s company spending time together. Not sure if she’s interested in the hunting or the hanging out with Dad part but either way I’m super happy about it!

Successful season? I’ve got a smile on!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Define success

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:31 am

Accomplishing what you set out to do - no matter what that may or may not be.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:46 am

A feeling of satisfaction at the end result of your endeavors
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:20 am

Meeting my predetermined goals is success. Learning from my experiences and failures along the way helps prepare me for my future attempts at success. School is in session. :whistle:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:00 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Accomplishing what you set out to do - no matter what that may or may not be.

That's about as good a definition as you will ever get... I would like to say though, that for me, my personal definition of what makes me successful, has changed dramatically over the years. And yours will likely change to with age and time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:10 am

dan wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Accomplishing what you set out to do - no matter what that may or may not be.

That's about as good a definition as you will ever get... I would like to say though, that for me, my personal definition of what makes me successful, has changed dramatically over the years. And yours will likely change to with age and time.

x2
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:59 am

dan wrote:

That's about as good a definition as you will ever get... I would like to say though, that for me, my personal definition of what makes me successful, has changed dramatically over the years.And yours will likely change to with age and time.

I completely agree with this. Years back if I didn’t kill a buck I would be really bummed out. These days it has no affect on me. It’s funny because other people seem to worry more about me not killing a buck than I do. :lol:

Success for me is doing what you love to do and enjoying it to it’s fullest. For some that has to end with a kill and for others the kill is a bonus. I’m currently in the second group. I live for the chase. As long as I can still physically get out there and hunt the way I want I’m totally content wether I kill one or not. I believe I get that trait from my dad. He lived for the thrill of the hunt but still killed some pretty nice bucks along the way. Either way tag filled or not he was happy.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:20 pm

briar wrote:A feeling of satisfaction at the end result of your endeavors

I like this one.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:37 pm

3 mature bucks within 50 yards I would call success. Obviously wed all like to kill and be successful but those are good numbers.
wheattaco

Unread postby wheattaco » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:27 pm

I’m more results oriented. Success to me is accomplishing my goal. Whichever it may be. This year was to shoot a certain buck I had on cam. I told my old man , I’m not shooting a deer unless it’s him or a wall hanger. Well I shot a surprise wallhanger. Which is rare in my area. If I didn’t fill my tag, I would consider it a failure. Even if I was within fifty yards on multiple occasions. It’s not that I’m doing something wrong necessarily, but I didn’t succeed in my end goal. So I would not consider it a success.
Let’s say u play hockey. Your goal is to score goals. You hit the pipe twice in a game, but no goals. Did u succeed. No. You were close. But not a success.
I still take from every hunt and really enjoy encounters. But if I don’t kill a deer, it’s not a success. That’s the ultimate goal. Anything less is like kids getting trophies for participating. I don’t want to participate. I want to succeed
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:02 pm

“Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.” Success is an attitude. Success requires maximum effort.

John Wooden
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”