Family selling hunting rights(while I'm still hunting)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wiser blood

Family selling hunting rights(while I'm still hunting)

Unread postby wiser blood » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:44 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you all had any insight on how I should deal with this. My family(partnership with many members) is seriously thinking about selling the deer hunting rights to our 400 acre farm because they can get up to 4k for it. Objectively, who am I to stand in the way of what the family wants. But personally, I'm pretty devastated. I hunt that farm exclusively and 99% of my hunting memories are from there. I love every second on that land and I even want to be buried there. Hopefully, they will let me set the guidelines for the hunting, but I'm concerned more about the pressure than anything. Thanks.

-wiser blood

Jackson Marsh

Re: Family selling hunting rights(while I'm still hunting)

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:01 am

That would be a real kick to the gut. Any other family feel like you do? Maybe you could team up with one and lease the hunting rights.

Tough situation, I hope it works out for you.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:15 am

I am in the same situation, not with my own family, but friends families. Sounds like you are pretty attached to the property so hopefully they work out something for you, or you can partner with people you trust to lease it.

But I have lost 1 property this year, and another one has just been put up for sale. Plus another guy has gotten rights at another property and took over my spot and started baiting. I just pick up and move on, and don't worry about it. I have already gained permission on one new property, and have plenty of public to hunt.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:16 am

That sucks dude. How many people would that 4k be divided up between? Is there anyway you could limit it to certain parts of the season , like not the rut :D ?
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:25 am

Pretty brutal this is what hunting is becoming. Converging toward European hunting at an alarming rate. Good luck working out a tough situation.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:26 am

Sounds like a tough situation. Are they talking about selling the hunting rights for perpetuity or leasing on a yearly basis?
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:48 am

comeback_kid wrote:That sucks dude. How many people would that 4k be divided up between? ?

Thats what I was thinking.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
wiser blood

Unread postby wiser blood » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:31 am

Jackson,
I'm the only full time hunter. There is another family member who casually hunts and a few others who may hunt once or twice.

Comeback_kid,
Exactly! How many people will be paying into that 4k? I may be able to limit some areas of the farm.

SamPotter,
It will probably be a year to year lease.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:46 am

Yep never fun when this stuff happens. How many owners are involved here, are you one of them? Wasn't 100% clear in your post. Hope you can work out some kind of deal. Is there money coming in from farming the land? Maybe giving up a little of that to the non-hunters will offset what they would make from leasing the land. 4K split up isn't a ton of money anyway.
wiser blood

Unread postby wiser blood » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:22 am

headgear wrote:Yep never fun when this stuff happens. How many owners are involved here, are you one of them? Wasn't 100% clear in your post. Hope you can work out some kind of deal. Is there money coming in from farming the land? Maybe giving up a little of that to the non-hunters will offset what they would make from leasing the land. 4K split up isn't a ton of money anyway.

6 members, my mother being one. I will inherit her shares. They get money from the farming and a CRP government program. I doubt my mother giving up her profit would satisfy the rest compared to what they will get from the extra 4k.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:32 am

If the hunting is worth the money you should be able to get a few partners and lease it.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:36 am

dan wrote:If the hunting is worth the money you should be able to get a few partners and lease it.

This is what I was thinking. If you get a cut you could subtract your part. You could even lease the whole thing then sub lease so you could make the rules.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:07 am

That is a bummer for sure.

Have they considered the liability they may incur by selling hunting rights?

In the two states I have hunted once you sell hunting rights you’re are now liable for injuries on the property. If you allow hunters to hunt your land for free you are specifically excluded from liability.

If they think that they can just gin up a release it won’t likely stand up in court against a good lawyer.

There is always liability insurance but I’m sure it isn’t cheap and at the end of the day it may not be worth it.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Scott/IL

Unread postby Scott/IL » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:29 am

I’m close to being in the same boat. Family farm that I have hunted my whole life. It gets hunted hard, but I generally find a good buck to chase here and there.

It survived one potential sale 10 years ago, and I see the writing in the wall what the next few years may hold. It’s either time for me to open up my wallet or to do what I’ve been doing the last month after tagging out.....walking as much public property as I possibly can.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:38 am

wiser blood wrote:6 members, my mother being one. I will inherit her shares. They get money from the farming and a CRP government program. I doubt my mother giving up her profit would satisfy the rest compared to what they will get from the extra 4k.

Ok that makes sense, tough situation to be in for sure.

Just an idea, could they lease half and you hunt on the other half, maybe the good half? Even the right 100 acres might be better than dealing with a pile of other hunters. Of course anyone leasing for big $$$ probably isn't interested in sharing the land either.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”