Snow scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BJ99Robinson

Snow scouting

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:04 am

Looking for some help with winter scouting, meaning snow on the ground.

I hunt farm country and small woodlots.

I've hunted a long time and killed many deer including some nice bucks but never that one dominate mature buck. I understand importance of bedding but never until now, with the help of the Hunting Beast have I realized the importance of specific buck bedding. I've been consuming tons of Hunting Beast content but haven't came across much talking about snow scouting.

I have many questions about scouting, specifically snow scouting. Here are a few...

Wouldn't it be easier to locate beds in snow backtracking tracks to assumed bedding areas?
Do the bedding areas change based on snow conditons?
Can I trust the sign I find when there is snow on the ground to hold true to other times of the year?
In your opinion do mature bucks hunker down/sit tight in thier core area more when snow is on the ground or does this cause them to move to new locations?
Do mature bucks heard up in winter like they do in summer when they're in thier batchlor groups? If so, is it a wast of time to scout snow beds knowing it may not be their core bedding area?

It seems like it would easy to get started loacting beds when there's snow on the ground.

I would appreciate an other thoughts on this subject you might care to share beyond what I asked.

KPnorthdakota

Re: Snow scouting

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:22 am

I'm only two years into Hunting like a Beast, so I'm going to give a shot at answering your questions. However, let some more seasoned guys answer and take their advice :lol:

Wouldn't it be easier to locate beds in snow backtracking tracks to assumed bedding areas?
Yes, it is absolutely easier in the snow. There is no doubt what trails are currently being used in the snow.

Do the bedding areas change based on snow conditons?
I think the more mature bucks still bed in the same locations (unless pressured to do otherwise).

Can I trust the sign I find when there is snow on the ground to hold true to other times of the year?
I think so. Rut would be the only time I would think it may change.

In your opinion do mature bucks hunker down/sit tight in thier core area more when snow is on the ground or does this cause them to move to new locations?
Yes, I think they go into a "post-rut eat a lot and conserve energy for the winter" mode.

Do mature bucks heard up in winter like they do in summer when they're in thier batchlor groups?
I'm not sure about this. I would assume they become more welcome to other bucks being around since rut is over. But, that welcoming would be to let the other bucks bed close to him, not him changing primary bedding.

If so, is it a wast of time to scout snow beds knowing it may not be their core bedding area?
I never think it is a waste of time to scout. If I'm wrong in my above answers it is still useful for next season when the snow hits the ground. And, where I live that can come early in the hunting season.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:49 am

I'm bumping this post because I'm interested in what more experienced hunters say.

I've had snow for a 3-4 weeks now. So, the answers will help me tremendously.
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:32 am

KPnorthdakota wrote:I'm bumping this post because I'm interested in what more experienced hunters say.

I've had snow for a 3-4 weeks now. So, the answers will help me tremendously.

Thanks for your reply, hope to more on this as well.
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:59 pm

bump
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Here's a post about farm scouting.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17743

I like to scout in the snow and backtrack to all the bedding. It gives you a great snapshot of what next years late season will look like. I also like to scout just after the snow melts and before green-up. This will show you what happened during early to mid-season. I always cross-reference my snow scouting with my spring scouting locations. Sometimes they are the same, and sometimes not. It varies depending on what terrain your hunting / scouting. I think amount of cover, type of cover, availability of food, water level, ice, snow depth, etc. can all play into it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:43 pm

If you’re tracking them to get on them right now, like an active hunt, this is a pretty good watch.

https://youtu.be/OLuF1tzRRAw
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:50 am

greenhorndave wrote:If you’re tracking them to get on them right now, like an active hunt, this is a pretty good watch.

https://youtu.be/OLuF1tzRRAw

Interesting video, thanks for sharing.
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:59 am

Very cool video. That was fun to watch.

Running after them when they are wounded seems to work sometimes. I hit one several years ago on dry ground and jumped him up and ran after him about 100 yards. I caught him standing and finished him.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Bedding areas can change based on vegetation and time of the year. Where deer bed can change as leaves fall based on how exposed or visible they might be. However late season is a good time to see sign like trails, crossings, and the topography of the land.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”