Bucks leaving beds in morning vs afternoon?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wiser blood

Bucks leaving beds in morning vs afternoon?

Unread postby wiser blood » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:51 am

Hey guys,

Quick question. Bucks will bed based on the wind. Do they leave their bed and travel then based on the wind or do they just go where they want to go? Thanks!

I have a buck bedded on a point that faces north. I've seen him enter a doe bedding area to the west when the wind was coming out of the south east during the afternoon. I also have a 5am pic of him at a camera that is to the east with the wind out of the north west on a morning. I'm wondering if I need to set up around that camera during the afternoon on a north west wind or just try to cut him off on the opposite side of the point when he goes back to the doe bed to the west.

-wiserblood

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Bucks leaving beds in morning vs afternoon?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 am

They go where they want.

However the last several shooters I've seen have been wind to back dropping down into bottom when thermal falls in afternoon. I've hunted alot side sets this year and haven't seen much on those hunts.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:37 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:They go where they want.

However the last several shooters I've seen have been wind to back dropping down into bottom when thermal falls in afternoon. I've hunted alot side sets this year and haven't seen much on those hunts.

That's an interesting observation as I have a buck traveling two corridors. One at the 1/3 from the top and the other 1/3 from the bottom. Both travel corridors merge on the East side of them and I think his bed is very close to where they merge.

I've wondered which corridor to hunt in the evening and your observation has me wondering if the lower one would be the right choice. First, I need to confirm the location of his bed.

Anyway, glad you shared your observation. It makes sense with what I'm currently seeing.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:46 am

wiser blood wrote:Hey guys,

Quick question. Bucks will bed based on the wind. Do they leave their bed and travel then based on the wind or do they just go where they want to go? Thanks!

I have a buck bedded on a point that faces north. I've seen him enter a doe bedding area to the west when the wind was coming out of the south east during the afternoon. I also have a 5am pic of him at a camera that is to the east with the wind out of the north west on a morning. I'm wondering if I need to set up around that camera during the afternoon on a north west wind or just try to cut him off on the opposite side of the point when he goes back to the doe bed to the west.

-wiserblood

I've seen them walking in so many wind directions its hard to say. And, the camera never tells you (unless you have enough to set up a huge perimeter) how they got in front of your camera. They "J Hook" into areas according to the wind when they haven't been watching it.

But, I've found that if they've been watching an area (like from their bed) they'll walk into what they've been watching no matter the wind. But, keep in mind that the wind direction is why they're in that particular bed in the first place.

On the AM pic of the buck, was he headed toward his bed or away from his bed?
wiser blood

Unread postby wiser blood » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:36 am

KPnorthdakota wrote:

-wiserblood

I've seen them walking in so many wind directions its hard to say. And, the camera never tells you (unless you have enough to set up a huge perimeter) how they got in front of your camera. They "J Hook" into areas according to the wind when they haven't been watching it.

But, I've found that if they've been watching an area (like from their bed) they'll walk into what they've been watching no matter the wind. But, keep in mind that the wind direction is why they're in that particular bed in the first place.

On the AM pic, he was walking away from the bedding.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:06 am

wiser blood wrote:
KPnorthdakota wrote:

-wiserblood

It's hard to know if something pushed him that way in the morning or if he was getting up normally. I think I would hunt what I witnessed on the camera (with the matching wind) and see how it goes.
wiser blood

Unread postby wiser blood » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 am

KPnorthdakota wrote:
wiser blood wrote:
KPnorthdakota wrote:

-wiserblood

It's hard to know if something pushed him that way in the morning or if he was getting up normally. I think I would hunt what I witnessed on the camera (with the matching wind) and see how it goes.

Gotcha. But tomorrow I'll be hunting in the afternoon, so I'm going to assume that he's going to check the doe bedding even though the wind is different.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:26 pm

wiser blood wrote:Gotcha. But tomorrow I'll be hunting in the afternoon, so I'm going to assume that he's going to check the doe bedding even though the wind is different.

I’m not sure of your terrain, but he may not be in that bed with a different wind. He may visit that doe bedding, but he may never walk by you to get to it.

What’s your terrain (Topo)?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”