Me n dad!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Me n dad!

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 am

My post last week about finding dad's buck he made a bad hit on turned into many of us talking about spending time with ole dad.

I told him we'd doe hunt together this week. It's been atleast a few years since we've hunted together at all. Just schedules and different plans etc. So I really wanted to get together this season. I know he feels the same way...

He wanted to meet at 530 which is an hour before I really wanted to lol. I had to be up at 4 to meet him in time.

He came up with a plan and we sat a couple hundred yards apart for a couple hours. Then we started doing little pushes to each other.

He has me climb a friggen mountain from the river. It wasn't fun....and I don't like to over exert myself to shoot doe lol. He climbed from further down the ridge and was going to push the too my way then I was going to climb over to the back side and bring it around to him.

I was set near the top of a nasty ditch. I knew the deer would either cut the top or come down the bench below me.

I see a big ole nanny trotting the edge of the bench. Maybe....60 yards or so. Right as she's getting broadside below me and into clearer woods, I put my finger in the trigger and get ready to stop her.

She locks up on her own. I start slowly putting pressure on the trigger and a shot rings out from the other side of the ditch. A hole appears right in my crosshairs and blood is blowing out. I track her 20yds and watch her pile up.

Scratching my head because I can't see orange at all. Dad said there was a guy between us but didn't mention he was THAT close to me.

I text my dad and said "did you shoot? Someone piled one up below me".

He says "yep...I gotta walk around the ditch to get over there".

He comes and I tell him the story and it was a lot of laughs and he said he felt bad and would have let me shoot if he knew I was over there.

I gutted her and got her prepped to drag. He said something about me coming along and him shooting the deer and me doing all the gutting and dragging (I gutted and drug his buck too).

I said "dad..I'm glad you shot her and I can gut and drag her for you. Its why I came".

We had a good day. Dad made a pretty good shot across the ditch and absolutely crushed her. Great confidence booster for him.

He says he's done till maybe the late season so I'm back on my own lol.

Thought I'd share since the topic came up last week and had a lot of interest and conversation. Maybe will inspire others to spend some time with dad..or Grandpa..or their uncle...or whoever. Many of us are very similar and like to hunt alone...go deep.. climb the extra ridge etc. Feels good to spend time with dad. Him dropping a doe is icing on the cake. I am pretty certain we'd both been happy at the end of the day regardless.

KPnorthdakota

Re: Me n dad!

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:42 am

Awesome story. I hunt with my Dad, too. It's great to be able to hunt with our Dads...times that will not be forgotten.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:59 am

Great memories. That’s what it’s all about. Make the most of those moments and enjoy them to their fullest.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:01 am

Very nice read
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 am

Great story, it makes my heart ache to think I cant call my dad and tell him my stories any more.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 am

Glad you have this kind of relationship with your dad and get to enjoy something together. Pretty rare these days.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:31 am

Yeah I think alot of us have "buck fever" so bad. Is because Pops did too!!!!!! ;) :shifty:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:35 am

Great story!

I won't be hunting with my dad for a couple of weeks - got some other stuff to handle, but we hunt ducks and fish together mainly. He's just not interested in deer any more.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:06 am

Great story and glad you guys got to spend some more time together. My dad was never a deer hunter but boy did we do a lot of squirrel hunting. Even rabbit hunted and of course I was the “dog” that went in the briars to chase them out to him. LOL. Might have to see if I can talk him into a squirrel hunt here soon. He got new knees last year and he’s getting around better than ever. So glad for him. Thanks for the story and inspiration.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 am

Definitely important to spend time with others....and it's easy to let time slip by. It's actually crazy how quick my life is starting to go.

Dad and I have always had a good relationship. I know I'm fortunate in that aspect. He's always done absolutely everything he could for me. We couldn't hunt till 12 when I started....from 12-15 dad took me out every chance he got. Sometimes after midnight shifts.... actually, quite often. Before that...fishing shooting, scouting, etc. He definitely raised me to be the man I've become.

When I rolled my SUV when I was 16 spotting deer, he blamed himself and said stuff happens....there's a lot worse things I could been doing in the middle of the night. Freak accident..someone discarded concrete on a path in the field...it was snowing and the ground was snow covered. I never saw it and was barely moving...it was enough to put me on my side lol

It was crazy watching the shot through my scope lol. We still don't know why the deer came down the ditch like that. I think my wind was swirling at the top of the ditch. He was actually coming up the other side of the ditch and spotted them running down the opposite side.

I was pumped when I found out he shot it not a stranger.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:52 pm

:clap: :clap:

Good times.
swampnovice31

Unread postby swampnovice31 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:57 pm

makes me think about my own father, how I should hunt with him more... nice post
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:56 pm

muddy wrote:Great story, it makes my heart ache to think I cant call my dad and tell him my stories any more.

Oh man! Great story! :cry: Sorry for your loss. Nobody lives forever, but losing them too soon robs us of a generation. Daddy was always eager to listen to my deer tales. He was the first one I would run and tell. Now I just run...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”