trail with sign but not seeing doe usage

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

burkeju76

trail with sign but not seeing doe usage

Unread postby burkeju76 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:38 pm

First post here guys, and let me start by saying this board seems like a geat place with lots of knowledge. Ive been lurking as a nonmember for awhile, but decided to get in on the action. Im just starting the journey of trying to do the bed-centered approach. So far I'm not really confident in my bed finding abilites. I hunt in delta/farmland and it seems like there are miles of ditch banks, etc that could be possibilites.

Now, to my question.I have a pie shaped crp thicket with cut beans on one side and on the rounded piece of the pie an irrigation ditch and then cut beans. Ive got a trail in the crp that kinda follows the canal in the thicket, has a nice trail, scrapeline and some big rubs. Last year hunted it for the first time, first sit killed a big buck. This year, sign showed up in the same spot, put a stand in the same tree..first sit, blew it on another really big buck.

The issue I'm having is, I dont see does using this trail. I've hunted it several times and it seems to be feast or famine, and mainly famine.I cant say completely famine because the two bucks are the biggest I've seen from a stand. Im not new to hunting at all, but I just am not getting why a buck is scraping and such on a trail that the does dont seem to use. I've found a lot of the does and they seem to be more relating to the field that is not by the canal. You think it's a trail they are using at night? Should I scrap it and not stop til I find a bed?

Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: trail with sign but not seeing doe usage

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:40 pm

Sounds like bucks are using the transition line to scent check the field’s thermals, mostly in Prerut/Rut.

Probably time to switch gears and find beds and more setups.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”