Hill country help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Recurve6

Hill country help

Unread postby Recurve6 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:44 am

New to forum and this method...... I hunt public land in middle Tennesse- surprisingly low pressure - but never saw many deer - I killed a pretty good buck years ago crossing a bottom so my strategy was to find thick areas and watch these bottoms to catch em crossing..... one day after not seeing anything again I walked a bottom and found some sign....decided to climb out and the only way was straight uphill- brutal- so I unloaded my rifle and climbed hill...as I was standing about 1/3 of way from top resting -or right at military crest as I now know it..... I hear walking and on ridge across from me is an enormous buck walking that crest line and out of my life as I frantically tried to get a bullet in the chamber!

At the time I just thought wow how cool was that....after watching hill country video I’m thinking I’ve been screwing up- kinda funny one of the biggest deer I’ve ever seen was on public land right where the video says they hang...

My question is how y’all hunt these deer. Do you stay up on ridges and intercept them there? What are your strategies?

Thanks for all the advice on here - really enjoying this place!!!

Pat

KPnorthdakota

Re: Hill country help

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:14 am

Follow their trails and find their beds, get in his bed and see what he sees, set up just out of his sight, and hunt him going to and coming out of his bed.

Some terrain lets you get closer than others without getting busted (leaves, snow, grass, etc.). But, get as close as you can without being busted.

This is why it’s important to get in his bed and see what he sees so you can get just out of sight. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”