what is success?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swampnovice31

what is success?

Unread postby swampnovice31 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:50 pm

I feel like often times we as hunters/huntresses base our success off of how big of buck we kill.. or if we get a buck... ive heard it thrown around here many times and its very true, we are the only ones who care about the bucks we kill. Last season in 2017 I put roughly 240 hours in the tree, never killed a buck. I still learned a lot and was grateful to be out, this year was totally different. Tagged out with bow an gun by nov18. I felt successful in both of these seasons simply for the fact that the scouting I did and sign I read put me in positions to harvest. Sometimes I wonder how many people would continue to hunt and pursue that big buck even if they could never show off the rack or brag up their accomplishments. What is your idea of success?

BAS4109

Re: what is success?

Unread postby BAS4109 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:29 am

For me success is a freezer stocked with venison for my family.

Hopefully I learn something along the way that I can apply to the next season.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:37 am

If I have a deer follow the script and come past my setup as I anticipated it would without busting me, I considered that a successful hunt. I don't have to shoot anything to have a successful hunt. I get the same satisfaction knowing that I played my cards right and it all worked out according to the plan.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:33 am

Getting home safe, having fun, and sharing the experiences make a hunt successful to me. The icing on the cake is seeing good deer and/or killing them.

Killing a big one is the bourbon snifter when everyone else is asleep and I'm just alone with my thoughts.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:22 am

My concept of success has changed in the past year. 2 yrs ago it would have been shooting something, anything for the freezer.

Some things about scouting have begun to click and was able to find a spot that actually had a ton of deer. Saw 4 bucks and 1 doe inside archery range...in the 2 mornings hunted.

The biggest success was finding hunting fun again. Been many years since I enjoyed it.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:51 am

Success should always be defined individually. And someone's goals should change over time as well, Because our situations change over the years. Defining your success by someone else's criteria is a recipe for discontent.

My goal for this year was just to have fun. I've been working really hard recently on a side hustle and hunting has definitely taken a back-burner in terms of number of days I get in the field. So my goal was just to truly enjoy the time that I had and not put any pressure on myself. And then finally my goal was to have peace in the family (children ages 11, 9 and 7) and enjoy this Christmas season.

I am probably done getting out in the field this year. No I'm not as hardcore as many guys here, and that doesn't bother me in the least. To each their own.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:00 am

If I’m learning more about the area I’m hunting and what the deer are doing, that’s a good day to me. If a deer follows what I think should happen, whether it’s the buck I’m after or a different one, that’s success for me. That means I’m doing something right and actually using what I’m learning here. Finding the beast has changed my whole outlook on deer hunting. I used to think I had to kill a big buck to be happy, and drove my self nuts the entire season. It got to where it became a job and stressed me out. Now I look at it as more of a chess game (well maybe checkers because I don’t play chess :lol: ) and it is SO much more fun. There are some really good hunters on this sight, waaayyy better than I’ll ever be, but if I pick something new up every so often and improve my game, that’s what it’s all about for me.

Our kids are at that age where they’re involved in everything right now, so hunting time is limited. Only been out 3 times this year so far, so my definiton of success is based on that as well. I do believe one of my biggest successes was finding this sight!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:27 am

Only you can define what you consider success! It's different for everyone.

I pursue mature bucks during my hunting seasons. And on every sit, my plan is to harvest one. Does that mean if I don't harvest one, I had an unsuccessful season? No it does not! My hope is I learn something every sit. I enjoy my time out in nature! IMO...many people take for granted our ability to spend time in the outdoors. I think we need to cherish those hours, because you never know when that time will come to an end!

Some venison in the freezer is never a bad thing either!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:01 am

For me success isn't winning the game, it's playing it. There are times I wish hunting was like fishing, I'd like to climb down grab antlers, take a picture to remember it then let him go. Yes I want to fill the freezer, but I could buy and raise cattle if that's all that mattered.

With 2 young kids, a full time job and my business my hunting time is very limited to some weekends. I cherish those weekends, it allows me to play the game in my mind all week.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:08 am

Success is being able to hit the woods with my 71 year old Dad...talking hunting, laughing, complaining about the deer, and looking forward to the kill. Getting a good buck is icing on the cake.

My Dad and I went scouting for a couple of hours yesterday and we had a blast. I’d almost rather do that than hunt...almost.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:18 am

Year end success for me is filling whatever tag I buy with whatever class of deer I expect for that area, some areas its a 3.5 year old and other places its 4.5+ year old deer. I dont expect to kill a nice buck every day Im in a tree, but I do expect to kill one during the season for it to be a success.
swampnovice31

Unread postby swampnovice31 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:24 am

all very true.. success is different for all of us... as is our ideas of happiness .. write on yall! :clap:
SmallJawNH

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 am

It is subjective. For me it has been the journey. While I've been on the site for a few years this is the first year I have really executed Beast Tactics in-season.

Being new to Texas this is my first year hunting here. It's completely different from New Hampshire. I considered seeing a deer while hunting a success at first. Then having a deer (legal or otherwise) within bow range of my hang and hunt was a success to me. My next milestone is to kill my first Texas whitetail with a bow and eat it. After that we'll see. I hope I continue learning; become more efficient and smarter about how I hunt. Maybe next year I fill multiple tags eventually work towards my goal of basing 90%+ of my subsistence on meat I got through hunting.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:54 am

Coming home in one piece.

Filling the freezer with 2 or 3 deer a year.

Making quick, clean kills.

Turning a dead deer into delicious healthy table fare with as little waste as possible.

I would say I expect to kill a nice buck most years, a really nice buck once in awhile, and hopefully run into a few monster bucks in my lifetime.

Constantly improving my skills and state of mind. Always learning from mistakes.

Effectively mentoring a couple friends and more importantly, my kids starting in a couple years.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:58 am

Success for me is spending as much time in the field as I can and still manage home and work at a satisfactory level. I try to learn as many details as I can about the deer, and the rest of the environment while I am there.
I set goals every year for a target buck or mature buck and work hard to put my 11 year old on a buck.
I want to add as many hunting stories to my collection as I can. It is a little sad when my buck tag is gone.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”