Deer hunting - snowstorms

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Deer hunting - snowstorms

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:37 am

What’s everyone’s experience with deer hunting during heavy snow storms? We have our first major storm forecasted for this afternoon (5-9” of snow with 30-40mph wind gusts). I’m guessing they’ll be hunkered down during the storm. But it should make for great tracking conditions tomorrow.

Paca

Re: Deer hunting - snowstorms

Unread postby Paca » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:02 am

It’s usually slow for me, but I’m trying it right now.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:34 pm

I’ve found they hunker down. But, if you can be in the woods as soon as it lets off it might get exciting.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:40 pm

I’ll be very curious what people say. I just bailed on my tomorrow am hunting plans tomorrow. 35-45 mph winds are just too much and I fear this would restrict daytime deer movement.
Persistence is undefeated.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:47 pm

218er wrote:I’ll be very curious what people say. I just bailed on my tomorrow am hunting plans tomorrow. 35-45 mph winds are just too much and I fear this would restrict daytime deer movement.

I think that high of wind would have the deer hunkering down. But, I wouldn’t want to hunt in that wind because of the opportunity for falling branches. :o
M0nster

Unread postby M0nster » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:49 pm

I agree winds that high will surely have them finding shelter out of the wind but I've always found heavy snow has them on their feet. And easy to spot still hunting. I always catch them shaking snow off their coat or just running having fun in the snow.

Good luck out there!
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:52 pm

I’m debating going out tomorrow too (MN). Bummed because it was my one day to hunt this week.

Emrah
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:35 am

Just before the storm even a while after it hits they could be on their feet, I see that all the time. Eventually they will bed back down but I would try and be in the woods as the storm approaches. Might hunt from the ground with those winds though. ;)
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Snow days or rain days are my hunting days other than Saturdays. I did some tracking this season twice during snowstorms and found it hard to find a track but when you do find one it's fresh and he's close. Saw a nice buck the first time and shot one the second. Makes it easy to track as there are few other tracks to get mixed up with.
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:35 pm

i hunted last night in the snow storm and still hunted a known bedding area. kicked up 3 does no shot.

this morning i went to some thicker pines on a ridge just looking to cut a track or catch one bedded. i cut 3 sets on tracks almost instantly at daylight. found a few beds from just hours before. i found the freshest of the track and kicked up the 3 deer. ended up getting one of them. It was one of my funniest hunts
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:47 pm

They'll be bedded early and won't move until it's all over. I've killed a couple good ones by still hunting thru bedding areas and catching them by surprise.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”