How far will a buck travel? Take a guess.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: How far will a buck travel? Take a guess.

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:40 am

Net Guy wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:I'll guess 27 miles. A hunter in Illinoise shot a 2 to buck years ago I read about, had a war tag and it was trapped if I remember correctly 26 miles from where it was killed. When trapped it was a fawn and the trappers remembered it because it was so small, at 2 it scored in the 130's. Cool stories out there.

We’ve got a winner! The buck traveled 27miles, all of which happened during the month of August. For the few months he stayed at the trap site and the couple months he settled down after August, he barely moved. Thought it was kinda cool.

Looks like you’re from WI, not sure where, but shoot me a pm and can get you some homebrews!

Thanks bud, I'm like the only freak from WI that doesn't drink. Lol. I dont want any prize, appreciate the gesture, would be interested in more information on this bucks travel if you wouldn't mind doing a write up! I'd be interested if the trap site terrain was similar to the relocation terrain.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:46 am

I'll take his beers.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 am

purebowhunting wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:I'll guess 27 miles. A hunter in Illinoise shot a 2 to buck years ago I read about, had a war tag and it was trapped if I remember correctly 26 miles from where it was killed. When trapped it was a fawn and the trappers remembered it because it was so small, at 2 it scored in the 130's. Cool stories out there.

We’ve got a winner! The buck traveled 27miles, all of which happened during the month of August. For the few months he stayed at the trap site and the couple months he settled down after August, he barely moved. Thought it was kinda cool.

Looks like you’re from WI, not sure where, but shoot me a pm and can get you some homebrews!

Thanks bud, I'm like the only freak from WI that doesn't drink. Lol. I dont want any prize, appreciate the gesture, would be interested in more information on this bucks travel if you wouldn't mind doing a write up! I'd be interested if the trap site terrain was similar to the relocation terrain.

Sounds good Purebowhunting. Guess I'll just have to drink the beer then. ;) That's a good idea on the write-up. I'll certainly do as detailed of a write-up as I can. If I can post the aerial, I will, but want to get the guy's permission because I believe he shot it on public land. Will see what I can do.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine did a write up on buck fawns that were collared. The buck fawns got their bucks kicked out by momma when they wee a year old. All of the nubby bucks left and went at least 3 miles from momma. One nubby went 60 miles . This may explain why so many young bucks seem to wander around like they dont know where they are. This study was done 20 yrs ago.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:20 pm

purebowhunting wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

Am I the only one that is confused? did this buck travel a total of 27 miles in one month or is that the distance he traveled away from where he was tagged? 27 miles of travel in one month isn't very much. that is less than one mile per day. The bucks I track during the rut go 4+ miles very day and that is a very conservative number. I wouldn't be surprised if they put on 27 miles in as little as 3 days.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:53 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

Am I the only one that is confused? did this buck travel a total of 27 miles in one month or is that the distance he traveled away from where he was tagged? 27 miles of travel in one month isn't very much. that is less than one mile per day. The bucks I track during the rut go 4+ miles very day and that is a very conservative number. I wouldn't be surprised if they put on 27 miles in as little as 3 days.

Deer was killed 27 miles from where it was caught and tagged, the relocation happened in one month.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:41 am

purebowhunting wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

Deer was killed 27 miles from where it was caught and tagged, the relocation happened in one month.

Purebowhunting is correct. Since May (when the buck was tagged) to the time he was killed (November) his relocation took one month (August). Other than August, he barely moved 0.25mile any given day.

When the buck was “settled down” in the both capture site and kill site, his movement was very minimal and would go back to the same couple of bedding areas that were nearby him. Now, when he traveled in August, he moved quite a bit. He stayed in the hills and would drop down into the Ag fields I’m sure to feed. The 27 miles is how the crow flies, not his actual path whichs zig zags a fair amount. The guy is trying to calculate that as the DNR didn’t share that data with him.

I don’t know if 27 miles is really a lot or not but thought it was kinda cool to see his path. Couple cool takeaways I thought were that he decided to relocate in August (why this month?) and that when he “settled down” the buck hardly moved from bedding to food. Same pattern nearly everyday. Would be cool to see the movements of an older buck for a longer period of time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”