Biggest factor for being unsuccessful

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunting_dad
500 Club

Biggest factor for being unsuccessful

Unread postby hunting_dad » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:55 pm

As to not derail another post, I wanted to start this one.

I know the topic of “biggest factor for success” and others along those lines have been covered, and maybe this one has too, but what in your opinion is the single biggest reason that a person does not succeed in killing a big buck every year?

On a side note, if all factors were equal and everyone had a level playing field, I personally believe that some people “get it” more than others do and have an edge. Then again, I may be totally wrong, and I’m okay with that. Just tell me why. Just looking to learn here. Thanks

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Biggest factor for being unsuccessful

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:10 pm

I think the first place to start is to have a target rich environment. lets face it, if you had 10 160" bucks running around your property how hard would it be?
After that everything else comes into play.
Today is a good example of this. I walked 3 miles on public land by me today and saw 2 fawn tracks. I could be the best hunter in the world but if there are no deer what good is it? You can't kill what ain't there.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:21 pm

For me it’s hard to pick one thing, but the landscape is not created equally and lack of access to quality ground where big bucks actually exist is probably the biggest limiting factor.

For example, I can think of three guys I know (nonbeasts) personally who have hunted half as much as I have this year but on primo private ground and all three have filled their tags on really great bucks.

Are they better hunters? Lucky? Smell good? Or are they just in an area where there is a bigger population of older age class deer and no hunting pressure?

I think magic man is spot on
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:36 pm

What do you guys think more in regards to personal factors? Something more along the lines of what we can or can’t control or maybe at least try to focus more on?

For example, I personally feel dedicating time to scouting and hunting is one of my biggest problems. I would love to spend more time scouting, and I try to every year, but family obligations and work come first and we have plenty of both right now. :lol: But with limited time, is just focusing on scouting good enough? There’s also understanding what you’re seeing and how to utilize it in a hunting scenario. Am I way overthinking things?
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:05 pm

I would have to say lack of scouting . And not having faith in set ups is a big factor. This year I made a huge effort in more in season scouting. Shineing checking spots for hot sign. And it really payed off in buck sightings for me.

But on the other hand I set my self up in the right area but not the right spot twice and watched 2 of the biggest bucks I have ever seen walk past at 70 yards or so on 2 different occasions. And the reason was I didn't trust my setup and played it safe and sat back so I wouldn't bump any. Even though if I would have just been a little more aggressive and trusted my setup could have killed one of those deer.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:20 pm

Time is a big one for me.

Another one is weather. Years like this year if we get heavy early snow it takes out many of my well known bedding. Sometimes shifting beds off properties I can hunt.

Access gained or lost on private ground can have me scrambling to get back on them. Public here I avoid once gun season hits.

Some years I didn't get the big buck but I got an education instead. Those years I feel are more valuable as time moves forward.

As far as others, I think it's a lack of effort. They say they want big mature bucks. But once the season starts they hunt the same few stands and hope. I'd tried getting friends to go mobile but none will put in the effort for a new set up each hunt.
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Imo, it's scouting. Scouting is the biggest factor in being successful which inherently makes it the biggest contributor for lack of success. The hard core guys always mention the ratio between hunting and scouting and the vast majority will hands down favor scouting in order to be successful.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:06 pm

Magic took the words right out my mouth. You can’t kill what’s not there. I know guys that don’t scout and hunt very little yet kill a nice buck every single year on prime private land. You can do all the hard work you want but if the class of buck your after doesn’t exist success is impossible.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:48 pm

Not being able to make the shot when it counts. Unfortunately this one has gotten me a few times.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:19 pm

Agree with most mentioned, but for myself the biggest single factor that once figured out immediately put 10x more deer infront of my tree is clean entry! A well thought out access taking into account wind, noise and vision sometimes makes all the diff in the world. You can have the best spot in the country but if u can't get in there without tipping your hand what good is it
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:28 pm

The single biggest reason for a person in general--lack of properly directed effort. People either give up too easily or they direct your efforts in the wrong place.

The single biggest reason for me is that I get too excited and find a way to screw it up at the moment of truth.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:47 pm

These two have already been mentioned. Time, and targets.

You can't kill what isn't there...that's just a strait up FACT. All other factors aside, you can't kill if YOU'RE not there.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:49 pm

Though I don't have alot of personal boots on the ground experience. Reading and watching tons of stuff on here. The consistent big buck killers year after year "know" what bucks, are where, and when. So the combination of post/spring season scouting, annual intel and in season scouting. Puts these highly successful killers on mature bucks at a higher percentage each season. More often than not they don't move in in a spot unless they feel the buck is actually there! They burn fewer kill spots. So less buckless sits.

Accomplishing this takes lots of quality time spent in the whitetails habitat.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:12 pm

For me it's lack of situational awareness. For example I have been burnt a lot when I go in with a spot in mind and I go in there and there is no sign that indicates it's worth hunting yet I hang my stand and hunt elther old sign or nonexistent sign amd hope for a deer. In those situations i need to keep pushing to find sign worth hunting and run the risk that I may never hang a stand and have my hunt turn into a scouting mission.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Mindset is huge. If think you won’t succeed, you will most likely be correct.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”