basic hunting steps for a dummie like me..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swampnovice31

basic hunting steps for a dummie like me..

Unread postby swampnovice31 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:36 pm

I live in central wisconsin an hunt public an private grounds. Ive shot some decent bucks in my time so far on this earth, screwed up on twice as many as ive gotten and look forward to continuing to learn. Below is the basic approach I take into every season for public land. What about all you? If you put how you approach your season on paper does it look similar to this or different?
#1- look at aerial photos pick spots to scout manually
#2- jan-may, boots on the ground looking for sign, beds, rubs, scrapes, stand locations ect.
#3- august- hang cams where they wont get stolen an I can get in an out undetected
#5- play the wind an hunt

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: basic hunting steps for a dummie like me..

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:13 am

For me, I'll go with the first 2.

But, I like to hang cameras when scouting in the winter or early spring and leave them for a year.

Also, my first priority is to keep my eyes open throughout it all and learn the natural way of things happening in the areas I'm interested in. Sometimes that can vary quite a bit. Too many times hunters try to make things happen "their way" instead of the natural way.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
swampnovice31

Unread postby swampnovice31 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:18 am

interesting.. thanks for the reply..you must go through a few sets of batteries in a years time? or are you running a solar panel or something to that effect?
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Seems like a good approach. Cameras I struggle with. For me I think they are good to use for intel for next season more than anything.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:12 pm

All my spots are 3 - 7 hours away. I hunt the places I know and let conditions dictate where and when I hunt them.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:52 am

swampnovice31 wrote:interesting.. thanks for the reply..you must go through a few sets of batteries in a years time? or are you running a solar panel or something to that effect?

Actually no, one set is all I use. When setting cameras for a year or so, I use lithium batteries. They last the year.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:06 am

Hanging cams in August???
Perhaps in areas I have never hunted or know about.

If I know a good shooter bucks in a area no way I'm going anywhere on that bucks travel pattern to place a cam 4-6 weeks before opener. Sure a buck might have died between March and August but another big ones probably going to take over the primary bedding.

I'd spend that time scouting new areas.

I think cameras are of paramount importance January to March to learn which bucks made it through season.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:07 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Hanging cams in August???
Perhaps in areas I have never hunted or know about.

If I know a good shooter bucks in a area no way I'm going anywhere on that bucks travel pattern to place a cam 4-6 weeks before opener.

Yep, same here
swampnovice31

Unread postby swampnovice31 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:18 pm

I also agree.. im saying hanging cams in new areas ive never hunted before.. in august.
bh bowhunter

Unread postby bh bowhunter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:59 am

My scouting of new spots starts now. Had a great November this year and filled both my rifle and archery tags. I have several spots I plan on scouting and I will be using cameras. When I'm first learning a new area, I make several scouting trips to check cams and move them around to get a better idea of how the deer a moving. If I get a shooter buck on my camera during July and August, I will hang a stand and stay out til the season opens.

I hunt big woods, so glassing is almost impossible. I have to rely heavily on camera intel just to locate a mature buck. Then during the season I will ground hunt these new areas a few times throughout the season, looking for hot sign, and move stands if needed.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:32 am

1 & 2- yeah
3- attempt to pick kill trees while scouting. Drop a way point with notes about the tree, sometimes take a pic or 30 second video of the kill site. 30-40% of the time that tree isn’t the one I’m setting up in (wind due to leafs/canopy), lanes, deadfalls, etc.
4- figure out wind/thermal access routes in relation to bedding. I spend as much time doing this as scouting. Review them again preseason. Sometimes I’ll see something “new” and tweak them. Whenever possible, access in a way to read sign on my way in, rather than use a camera.... Had a shooter buck, and 4 other bucks come through a set a couple weeks ago, where I had a camera. Got 1 pic of a buck that day... I would have had to have 3 cameras in a 60 yard ridge funnel.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”