Late Season Hill Country Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowtality
Facebook: Jeff Stirland

Late Season Hill Country Bucks

Unread postby bowtality » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:21 am

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but have been following Dan for 2 years now. I spend most of my time hunting mobile on public and some private land in Pennsylvania, and I still have a buck tag to fill. Does anyone have any ideas on good locations to look for in regards to buck bedding and food? (South facing slopes, thermal cover, etc.) Thanks guys, I am excited to begin my Beast journey.

“If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it." - Luke 9:23-24
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Late Season Hill Country Bucks

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:18 am

Late season Hate or Great - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20875
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:07 am

Thanks DK....This old post from JoeRE speaks to me on a spot I have on my agenda right now.

JoeRE
500 Club
Re: the late season- "Hate" or "Great"
Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:42 am
I like the late season. I don't bow hunt it much because generally my bow tags are filled before then but I do hunt muzzleloader season every year. Yea, I know I hunt the glorious late muzzy season in Iowa where all I am supposed to do is look behind the nearest tree but I have not hunted a near a food plot in years, in fact the only food plots I have ever hunted near have been ones the DNR put in with lots of other hunters circling around, so don't just pigeonhole me in the 'he's got it easy' crowd lol. I have relatively consistent success hunting the late season, here are some things I focus on:

Cover. You might think food is most important, and it is important but its easy to see with a little snow. Deer will be concentrated when it is cold and windy in the most sheltered bedding areas, preferably ones that warm up a bit on a sunny day (south facing cedar thickets, select cuts or old clear cuts in hill and farm country are prime). Big bucks will be concentrated in the safest/most inaccessible of those areas.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:12 am

E72 wrote:Cover. You might think food is most important, and it is important but its easy to see with a little snow. Deer will be concentrated when it is cold and windy in the most sheltered bedding areas, preferably ones that warm up a bit on a sunny day (south facing cedar thickets, select cuts or old clear cuts in hill and farm country are prime).

This part is definietly what id concentrate on
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:49 pm

<DK> wrote:
E72 wrote:Cover. You might think food is most important, and it is important but its easy to see with a little snow. Deer will be concentrated when it is cold and windy in the most sheltered bedding areas, preferably ones that warm up a bit on a sunny day (south facing cedar thickets, select cuts or old clear cuts in hill and farm country are prime).

This part is definietly what id concentrate on

Yes sir .... Focusing on some hill country ,clearcut . We found sheds from two different good bucks there this year .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”